Tangshan (唐山; Tángshān) is a city in Hebei.
Tangshan was known for the 1976 earthquake that measured 7.8 on the richter scale that killed 255,000 residents. The city has since been rebuilt.
There is a small airport with domestic fights only. There are two train stations, one under construction but still usable as the main train station which is located in the near the downtown area (Tangshan Station) and the other train station (Tangshan North) is further away from the downtown area of the city. The intercity bus service is also a viable option for travelling to popular cities although i.e Beijing or Tianjin, the price for the bus is usually 60rmb and the bust terminal is located roughly in front of Tangshan Station.
The city buses fares are usually one and two rmb and street maps show the route maps. Also, public bus transportation stops running after 9:30pm unlike other larger cities.
Within the greater Tangshan area are a total of 15 cities, counties, and districts.
Tangshan City Center (唐山市)
- Parks. The earthquake memorial and park in the centre of town on Xinhua Road is an important focal point. There is also a museum located nearby which details the city's history and future plans. Good views of the city can be obtained from a pagoda atop of a hill in Fenghuangshan Park a short distance away on Wenhua Road at the intersection with Beixin Road. Nanhu (South) Lake Park is a large park with walkways around the lakes and is on Jianshe South Road.
- Phoenix Mountain (凤凰山 - Fènghuáng shān) - one of two 'mountains' (more like large hills) located in downtown Tangshan. Has a nice view from the top. A large Buddhist monastery is very close to the entrance. Big City Mountain is not far away, either.
- Big City Mountain (大城山 - Dacheng shan) - one of two 'mountains' (more like large hills) located in downtown Tangshan. Has a nice view from the top. Close to Phoenix Mountain.
- Earthquake Museum (抗震纪念馆). In 1986, built in Tangshan Earthquake Memorial, a comprehensive display of the Tangshan City integrated circumstance, earthquake relief, recovery construction of historical data and after20 years of Tangshan economy, society career achievement.
- South Lake Park (南湖 - Nánhú) Centrally located2 km southwest of coal mining subsidence area. The total area of 1300hectares, surface 165 hectare. At the beginning of 1997Tangshan municipal Party committee, city hall started the implementation of ecological greening projects, planning to build here for recreation and watch the water activity in one of the large-scale comprehensive ecological park. A huge, beautiful park located downtown.
Fengrun District (丰润区)
- Cao Xueqin Park ( 曹雪芹公园 - Cáo Xuěqín Gōngyuán) - located in Fengrun County (丰润区 - Fēngrùn Qū), which is close to downtown Tangshan, roughly 20 kilometers. Fengrun claims to be the birthplace of the famous writer Cao Xue Qin (曹雪芹), most known for his work 'Dream of the Red Chamber' (红楼梦 - Hóng Lóu Mèng). For a district, the park is gorgeous; the flowers that bloom in spring and summer are colorful, and a new palace that reflects on the river. For residents of Fengrun, this is the place to go at night - activities range from dancing, whipping, jump rope, and rollerblading (in summer). In winter, you can skate on the ice or ride a vehicle on the frozen river.
- Thousand Buddha Mountain (Qian Fo Shan - 千佛山) - a surprisingly scenic and newly built Buddhist monastery covered over a large area. The main attraction of the monastery are four Thousand Handed Buddha statues. Arrive early and enjoy a free, vegetarian lunch in silence with the monks at 11AM everyday. Address: 唐山市丰润区千佛山 (Tángshān shì fēngrùn qū qiān foshān)
- Qingming River Scene Recreation (唐山丰润麻龙湾清明上河图泥塑园) - a real life recreation of the famous painting 'Riverside Scene During Qingming Festival' with over 200 life-sized clay sculptures.
- Eastern Qing Tombs (清东陵 - Qīng dōng líng) - located in Zunhua County (遵化 - Zūnhuà), this is the biggest attraction in the greater Tangshan area. One of China's UNESCO World Heritage sites, contained within are well-preserved mausoleums of Qing dynasty rulers. Expect to spend an entire day here because it's absolutely massive; the distance between all the mausoleums is so great you have to ride in what is basically a large golf cart to get around. Closes around 5:30PM. Ticket price is 160 kuai.
Qianxi County (迁西县)
- Xifengkou Great Wall (喜峰口). Located in Qian Xi county ( - Qiānxī Xiàn) which is quite a ways from downtown Tangshan. At the Qian Xi bus station, it's roughly 47 kilometers to the Xifengkou Great Wall. Best bet is to hire a taxi for the day, expect to pay 300 kuai. Xifengkou" waterways" said Lin Lan pass, song, Liao, Jin said pine Pavilion shut. According to legend, there was one long he does not return, his father Quartet search, coincided with the child to meet here, and hold the laugh die of joy, was buried here, so named happy event meet export.
- Panjiakou Great Wall (潘家口长城 - Pān jiākǒu chángchéng) - this is the famous 'Great Wall underwater'. Located in Qian Xi county, roughly 40 kilometers from the Qian Xi long distance bus station.
- Qing Shanguan Great Wall - located in Qian Xi county.
Qian'an City (迁安市)
- Baiyangyu Great Wall ( 白羊峪) - located in Qian'an city in Dacuizhuang town about 35 kilometers from the Qian'an long distance bus station. Beautiful section of the Great Wall with zero maintenance and few tourists. Ticket price is 40 yuan.
- Qian'an Museum - located in Qian'an city. The star attraction is a 12,000 year old Paleoloxodon (elephant) fossil/skeleton, the largest of its kind in China.
- Guantoushan Wine Plant - take a tour of a baijiu factory in Qian'an, Dawoli town, Guantoushan village. Also includes a wine culture museum. 0315-7082445/13803328177
Laoting County (乐亭县)
- Li Dazhao Memorial Hall and Former Residence - located in Laoting County (乐亭县 - Làotíng Xiàn), which is a ways away from downtown Tangshan. One of the founders of the Chinese Communisty party, Li Dazhao, was born in Laoting. There are two places to visit - the Memorial Hall (Jìniànguǎn - 纪念馆) is not too far from the bus station, maybe 10 kuai for a taxi ride. Li Dazhao's former residence (Gùjū - 故居) is located roughly 18 kilometers from the bus station, in Daiheituo Village.
- Moon Island (Yue Tuo Dao) (月坨岛). The Moon Islands are located in Laoting County in the Bohai Sea. A boat ride to the island is 135 kuai, and a night on the island itself is between 500 and 600 kuai. An exciting alternative to the beaches of Qinhuangdao, at least.
Luan County (滦县)
- Luanzhou Ancient City (滦州古城 - Luánzhōu gǔchéng) - a recreation of the ancient city of Luanzhou, don't expect anything real here nor any information in English. Within the ancient city are many shops in ancient-styled buildings, a canal that mimics the canals of Suzhou which you can take a boat ride on, and a very tall pagoda which offers breathtaking views at the top. The city is most impressive at night when it's lit up.
Since Tangshan is a tier 3 city, ruined by industrial pollution and has a major lack of international universities, there are not many things for a foreigner resident or traveler to do outside of visit the the limited museums in Tangshan, which mainly only celebrate the one tragic event that Tangshan is famous for: The Earthquake.
Escape Alive from Room 51 (51真人密室逃脱) - you're placed in a room and must escape it within an hour! Great idea for a date. Has three different themed escapes. 40 kuai per person. Address：万达广场A座704房间 , Wanda Square, Building A, Room 704. Phone Number: 15081912062 QQ: 1329595524
CS Outdoor Laser Tag (Chinese name: 弯道山真人CS) - good fun for a big group of people looking to kill an afternoon. You're given two hours split among a variety of large, outside locales decked out in military uniforms and big laser tag guns. Mosquito repellent is a must during summertime. Recommended to book a day in advance, and be aware that none of the employees speak English. Telephone: 0315-8373339,18731567117 Address: 路北区缸窑路92号弯道山公园 Hours: 08:00-17:00
- Tangshan famous dishes (唐山著名小吃). Feasts hung elbows, gutting sea cucumber, fish sauce, braised skirt block, fun, shrimp, jade, jade dragon, it combined abdominal hooks of gold, a ball, his general crisp carp, white breast, reed catkins chicken, millet flour pastry, Jintang blood nest shark fin soup, Jingdong frankincense Rou, jade products bamboo shoots, jade melon booty, Bao Beiyu gold brick, small fish, Jingdong Jingdong special vinegar intestinal, meat fried bamboo shoots, simmer pork, grilled eggplant sauce, eight bags of fish ( Octopus ) stew, fish noodles, egg booth ( racing crab ), Pipi shrimp meat dumplings.
- Seafood（海鲜）: shrimp, crab, Pipi shrimp, fish noodles, fish, shrimp, yellow croaker of auspicious head, fast fish, clams, shrimp, etc. in autumn. Products: Freshwater carp, crucian carp, grass carp, a fish, shrimp, crab, even loach, snakeheaded fish, turtle and so on. Tangshan seafood to cooking good fresh seafood raw materials. Characterized by rich materials, knife delicate, taste fresh, exquisite oil holding Euryale ferox, dishes with exquisite Tangshan porcelain container, stylised.
Lee's Bar - local expat hangout; not only for English speakers, as I have seen Japanese frequent there as well. Beer can be expensive but if you want to retreat to a safety bubble with your fellow lao wai, this is the place.
Latte Pub This is your typical Chinese Dance club, playing a lot of Techno and Pop Mixes. Something to note though, Latter Pub provides free drinks to foreigners usually in the form of a few bottles of beer, a bottle of liquor and a fruit platter. Latter Pub can be found in the San Lee building opposite the Tangshan Department Store
Little London A restaurant that caters to the foreigner teacher populace of Tangshan. The small restaurant has simple burgers and sandwiches along with a limited selection of beer and wine products. Beer prices start at 10rmb for a large bottle.
- Tangshan Hotel (北京唐山大厦), 45 Ciyun Temple (Ciyun Si), Chaoyang District, . Tangshan Hotel is located near Sihui Bridge, the CBD area of Beijing, adjacent to East Chang’an Street and the Fourth Ring Road. It only takes 10 minutes to the subway line 1 Sihui Station, and 20 minutes to the capital airport.