Tamarindo is in Costa Rica. Located on the Pacific Coast, Tamarindo is a popular destination for couples and families looking for a good time. With spectacular beaches and rainforests, Tamarindo is the epitome of everything that Costa Rica prides herself on.
It is recommended to fly into Liberia (city in Costa Rica) international airport and take a Taxi from there which lasts a little over 45 minutes. Most airlines fly to Liberia from Houston, Miami, Atlanta or Los Angeles. In addition, the bus ride from San Jose takes about 6 hours, costs $5 dollars, and is comfortable (as of 2006 the bus leaves at 11.30am). Tamarindo also has an airport which is approximately a 45 minute flight from San Jose.
The town is nice and small, a sort of miniature tropical paradise. You can find taxis, rent cars, or scooters.
Numerous lagoons in the area are filled with wonderful wildlife.
Incredible sunsets and sunrises on beautiful beaches add to the overall experience.
Rainforests are just a short ride away, as well as volcanoes and other aspects of nature unique to this region of Costa Rica.
Tamarindo has become a mecca for surfers and blue water sport fishermen, with a sport fishing fleet of talented and conservation oriented captains who are the pioneers of the Pacific coast. Their record catches of marlin, sailfish, giant tuna and other species have become legendary. Whether you want deep bluewater fishing, or reef or shoreline fishing, the fleet can accommodate you. Surf casting and handlining in front of your villa for snook and jack are also popular. Any way you do it you can be sure to have your fresh catch cooked up for you at one of the friendly beachfront restaurants.
- Tamarindo Surf School and Surf Camp, Learn how to surf.
Warm water surfing is enjoyed year 'round and families find this area offers opportunities for surfers of all skill levels to enjoy the great waves that bless this part of the coast. Tamarindo was the first stop on an epic worldwide surf journey in the popular movie Endless Summer II. Be aware that the beaches are very crowded with amatuer surfers these days. It can be hard to catch waves without running into another tourist. The crowds do start to thin out as evening approaches though.
Visitors also can choose to scuba dive, snorkel, go on beach cruises, water ski, jet ski, go ocean and river kayaking, wind surfing, sailing cruises and horseback riding. Bicycles, beach gear, surfboards, boogie boards and equipment of all types are available for rental from specialty stores.
In addition, there are only a few places in the world where the Giant Leatherback Turtle comes to lay her eggs, and National Park Las Baulas is one of them. A short ride from Tamarindo, watching this beautiful part of nature is a once in a lifetime event.
Many local vendors offer authentic Costa Rican jewelery. For children, inexpensive souvenirs are to be found everywhere .
Tamarindo is proud to offer an amazing selection of fine international and typical Costa Rican restaurants. Tamarindo has a French and German bakery, as well as restaurants catering to health-conscious and vegetarian patrons. One will never tire of sampling the wonderful variations of uniquely prepared specialties featuring the abundant supply of fresh local seafood, fruits and vegetables. Most restaurants face the beach, so while waiting for food, one can play in the sand or admire the beautiful sunset.
Tamarindo also has grocery stores, fresh produce and fruit juice stands, and internet cafes.
Any tropical drink is recommended. Fresh papaya, mango, pineapple, and bananas are Tamarindo's specialty.
- Sunrise Condominiums for rent. The Sunrise Condominium Resort is Tamarindo’s newest vacation complex. It is steps from Tamarindo Beach the surfing beach made famous in the film, “Endless Summer II”. 52 Luxury 2 and 3 bedroom condominiums surround one of Costa Rica’s largest swimming pools. Enjoy a good book and the pool or ocean views from one of the private terraces on an upper floor. Each condo has been individually designed, combining contemporary pleasure with local influences. All units welcome you with covered terraces, full kitchens, central A/C, cable TV, and dedicated parking.
- NAXOS. The newest, luxury complex located in the most exclusive neighborhood of the Costa Rica's northern Pacific coast, Langosta Beach. This resort is a brand new, 25 unit, 7-story, condominium complex welcoming you with everything you can expect from a luxury vacation destination. The relaxing atmosphere is fostered by the many recreational amenities; a vast pool with solarium and ample social areas, full kitchens, air conditioning, covered terraces and underground parking.
- HORIZONTES DEL MAR. This new luxury condominium complex, is "on the beach", in the quiet and elegant neighborhood of Langosta Beach. Horizontes is conveniently located 1 mile south of Tamarindo, close to the finest restaurants and shopping areas. Spectacular ocean and bay views, blue waters, magical sunsets, beachfront pool area and of course the unique opportunity to enjoy direct beachfront access makes Horizontes del Mar the most attractive resort of the area.
- CASABLANCA. Nestled in Langosta, Tamarindo's most exclusive neighborhood, the Casablanca Resort offers 5 unique options surrounding a very intimate courtyard pool terrace in this walled complex. Three villas and 3 new condominiums are ready to welcome you.
- Domus Kahuna Residence Apartments for rent, , . Carefully planned and furnished with a touch of Costa Rican style, residence Domus Kahuna offers comfortable accommodations in enchanting apartments Constructed during the 2001, Domus Kahuna is an elegant fusion of modern European style and traditional Central America architecture Domus Kahuna is perfectly located at 150 mts from the beach and 200 mts from the center. Located at 10 minutes from Tamarindo Airport and 1hr from Liberia International Airport 180 miles from San José.Walking distance to the beach, Tamarindo Center, banks, supermarkets and many other shops and restaurants. 3 Doubles & 3 single rooms fully equipped apartments The apartments are fully equipped with kitchen, Cable TV, fans, A/C, fridge, private balcony or terrace Cleaning service, private parking & Security. Daily, weekly & monthly rates
- Villa Langosta, , . Oceanfront villas, averaging 1300 square feet. These luxury villas come complete with all the amenities of home including private ocean view balcony, Jacuzzi, VCR, television, fully furnished kitchens and much more. Each unit comes with an individual wall safe with the combination that is set by the guest. The master bedroom had a queen or king-size bed and the second bedroom has two twins. The living room had a futon that will sleep one adult or two small children. The villas share an in-ground swimming pool and barbecue patio. There is an on-site business center for international faxes, email and telephone service. Villas are well maintained by professional hosts and their hardworking staff. Maid service is also available. Private meal preparation can be arranged. The local market in Tamarindo offer most items to make you feel right at home.
- Costa Palmera, , . Another prime example of kind of high quality rentals available in the area is Costapalmera.us on Playa Grande Beach offer AAA luxury, just steps to the Pacific and one of the worlds and Costa Rica's best Surf breaks. The house offers a private pool, full staff and uncrowded, resort amenities.
- Tamarindo Diria Situated on tamarindo beach. Includes american style breakfast with the room rate. It has 70 rooms with air conditioning, cable tv, two double beds, fans, mini-bar, safety boxes, hair dryers, and telephones. Pool, restaurant, bar, gardens, tours, and meeting rooms.
No one really wants to leave Tamarindo, but when the time comes, bus to San Jose or Taxi to Liberia are the two best options.