Tamarindo is in Costa Rica. Located on the Pacific Coast, Tamarindo is a popular destination for couples and families looking for a good time. With spectacular beaches and rainforests, Tamarindo is the epitome of everything that Costa Rica prides itself on.
It is recommended to fly into Liberia (city in Costa Rica) international airport and take a Taxi from there which lasts a little over 45 minutes. Most airlines fly to Liberia from Houston, Miami, Atlanta or Los Angeles. In addition, the bus ride from San Jose takes about 6 hours, costs $5 dollars, and is comfortable. Tamarindo also has an airport which is approximately a 45 minute flight from San Jose. For those looking to save money, flying into San Jose, and taking a bus the next day to Tamarindo is pretty cheap. The bus tickets run about $10, leaving from Alfaro Station, might help to purchase a day in advance. The bus stops frequently and the trip takes around 6 or 7 hours but there is much to see throughout Costa Rica.
The town is nice and small, a sort of miniature tropical paradise. You can find taxis, rent cars, or scooters.
Numerous lagoons in the area are filled with wonderful wildlife.
Incredible sunsets and sunrises on beautiful beaches add to the overall experience.
Rainforests are just a short ride away, as well as volcanoes and other aspects of nature unique to this region of Costa Rica.
Tamarindo has become a mecca for surfers and blue water sport fishermen, with a sport fishing fleet of talented and conservation oriented captains who are the pioneers of the Pacific coast. Their record catches of marlin, sailfish, giant tuna and other species have become legendary. Whether you want deep bluewater fishing, or reef or shoreline fishing, the fleet can accommodate you. Surf casting and handlining in front of your villa for snook and jack are also popular. Any way you do it you can be sure to have your fresh catch cooked up for you at one of the friendly beachfront restaurants.
- Amagi Adventures- Custom Guided Surf Trips. For custom guided surf trips including photography & videography of your sessions, contact Amagi Adventures 
- Banana Surf Club  , Learn how to surf in Tamarindo Costa Rica, Surf Tours, Surf Trips.
- Costa Rica Surf Club and Surf Camp, Learn how to surf in Tamarindo, surfshop and surf spots information
Warm water surfing is enjoyed year 'round and families find this area offers opportunities for surfers of all skill levels to enjoy the great waves that bless this part of the coast. Tamarindo was the first stop on an epic worldwide surf journey in the popular movie Endless Summer II. Be aware that the beaches are very crowded with amatuer surfers these days. It can be hard to catch waves without running into another tourist. The crowds do start to thin out as evening approaches though.
Visitors also can choose to scuba dive, snorkel, go on beach cruises, water ski, jet ski, go ocean and river kayaking, wind surfing, sailing cruises and horseback riding. Bicycles, beach gear, surfboards, boogie boards and equipment of all types are available for rental from specialty stores.
In addition, there are only a few places in the world where the Giant Leatherback Turtle comes to lay her eggs, and National Park Las Baulas is one of them. A short ride from Tamarindo, watching this beautiful part of nature is a once in a lifetime event.
Nearby Hacienda Pinilla, an exclusive beach resort and residential community, offers six pristine beaches, SCUBA diving, snorkeling, surfing and fishing as well as horseback riding, an 18-hole championship golf course, and about 10 miles of nature trails.
There are a few great places to go at night. La Barra is a great bar where everyone goes for some salsa dancing, watch out though, the locals are all very good at it. There is another place called Pacifica playing mostly Top 40 music for the younger crowd at the end of the main street in Tamarindo. At the other end, you can find a relative new place, Agua. Pretty nice interior compared to the other bars, but it has a tendency to be a little empty at times. Be careful about pickpocketers around Agua, especially of those men dressed as females.
- Bikini Surf Shop (Biniki Surf Shop Tamarindo, Costa Rica), Main Street, Tamarindo Costa Rica, ☎ 506 26530917, . Tamarindo Bikini Surf Shop, offers surfboard rent, surfing lessons and tours, Surf Report, Bikinis
- Tamarindo Spanish and Surf School, Calle Real, . Spanish and Surf school in Tamarindo, Costa Rica
- Languatica, ☎ (+1)856.335.LANG(5264), . Language Immersion Travel
- EF Escuela Internacional de Español, Tamarindo, Costa Rica, ☎ 1-800-992-1892, . Spanish school with weekly start dates.
- La Oveja Negra Surf Camp & Hostel, Hostel La Oveja Negra, ☎ ++506 2653-0005, . La Oveja Negra Surf Camp has a range of different surf packages to suit you! Whether you’re after a special experience, a holiday with a difference, a trip out of the office, or purely just wanna learn to surf, our Surf Camp have it all! We offer you the best deals in town with the most qualified surf instructors
Many local vendors offer authentic Costa Rican jewelry. For children, inexpensive souvenirs are to be found everywhere .
Make sure to check out the surfing guidebook put out by Blue Planet Surf Maps every year. It is full of local advice and detailed maps of where to surf for every level of surfing ability.
Tamarindo offers an amazing selection of international and typical Costa Rican restaurants. Tamarindo has a French and German bakery, as well as restaurants catering to health-conscious and vegetarian. There is an abundant supply of fresh local seafood, fruits and vegetables. Most restaurants face the beach, so while waiting for food, one can play in the sand or admire the beautiful sunset.
Tamarindo also has grocery stores, fresh produce and fruit juice stands, and internet cafes.
Locals will come daily during lunchtime with food in the back of their truck and sell to local Costa Ricans for about 2000 Colones you get a full plate, it's a great way to try local cuisine.
- Pipos Dog (The Best Hot Dogs in town), Centro comercial Plaza Esmeralda (On the main road left side, where the HSBC Bank is located.), . Hot dogs and open late.
- Longboards BBQ, Located on the right side of the road to Langosta (Next door to Mandarina), ☎ 2653-0027. Noon until Late Night. Tamarindo's Best BBQ. Enjoy an amazing pulled pork, chicken, or brisket sandwich while relaxing in a tropical setting, listening to American Music. The Ribs and Onion Rings are fantastic. All of their meat is smoked and served with Homemade BBQ sauces. Do not miss this place while you're in town. under $10. New flat screens make it a good place to watch the games.
- Le Petit Cafe, A03 Plaza Tamarindo (Next door to ABC Realty), ☎ 506-2653-4285, . 8am-6pm. Located in Plaza Tamarindo, Le Petit Cafe is Tamarindo's best kept secret. Serving panninis, salads, and home baked goods this is the place to enjoy North American and Jamaican influenced fare. From apple pie to Jamaican jerk chicken, and vegetarian selections we have something for everyone. And we are the only place on the coast making Montreal style bagels. Patio and enclosed air conditioned dining area to escape the beautiful Tamarindo heat and dust. Come dine with us! $4-$7.
Any tropical drink is recommended. Fresh papaya, mango, pineapple, and bananas are Tamarindo's specialty.
When in Tamarindo, definitely try a Tamarind and Ginger agua fresca if you find it.
The taco stop is one of the best places for tacos in costa rica
- 15 love bed and breakfast, . A contemporary bed and breakfast with two tennis courts.
- Domus Kahuna (Tamarindo Hotel & Residence Domus Kahuna), Next to the children playgound, ☎ 26530648, . checkin: 2.00PM; checkout: 12.00PM. Fully equipped apartments and hotel rooms. 50.
- Hacienda Pinilla Beach Resort and Residential Community, ☎ (506)2680-3000, . Offers villas, beach houses, the 30-room La Posada Hotel or the eight-suite Casa de Golf as well as the new 310-room J.W. Marriott Guanacaste Resort and Spa.
- Hotel Jardin del Eden (Tamarindo Hotel El Jardin del Eden), (En frende a la Colina), ☎ +506 2653 0137, . Set on a hill, just a few minutes walk from the beach, and with a great view of the entire Tamarindo Bay. $192.
- Hotel Mamiri, (Tamarindo Rooms & Hostel Mamiri), across the street from Pasatiempo Hotel, phone 2653-0079 . Charming tropical gardens and very relaxed vibe, excellent morning coffee.
- Hotel Tatanka (Tatanka), Playa Junquillal (Frente al mar), ☎ 1(866)498-0824, . checkin: 2:00; checkout: 12:00. A great surf hotel, with its own pizzeria, located about two blocks from the beach, it is clean and the service is good. $60 - $65.
- The Oaks, Middle of Huacas & Villarreal (Close to Tamarindo Beach), ☎ 2653-6331. Beautiful condos, very close to the best beaches of North Pacific Coast. 2 Bed/ 2 Bath, 2 BBQ Ranchs, 3 Pools (2 semicirculars and 1 Lap pool) Pls contact: Gabriela Corrales: [email protected]
- Tamarindo Village, . Its hillside location has beautiful sunset views of the ocean and it's within walking distance of the beach. It's not a cookie-cutter hotel. Each of the cabins is private and charming.
- TamarindoVilla, Tamarindo-Langosta (Located in Tamarindos Exclusive Langosta Area), . A 3 bedroom villa with & 3 1/2 bathrooms. (10-17-21.15 N,85-5103.70)
- Las Gaviotas, Luxury condos for rent (Las Gaviotas, Luxury condos for rent), Las Gaviotas, ☎ 506 2653-2724, . checkin: 2PM; checkout: 12PM. Las Gaviotas brand new, gorgeous Condo in the quiet Tamarindo Beach , just 8 minutes walking from the beach. The quiet, private and safe Las Gaviotas Complex features 24-hour security, parking and an over-sized sparkling swimming pool with a water fall. This modern, spacious air-conditioned Tamarindo Beach Hotel is fully furnished, and includes two bedrooms, two bathrooms and a pull-out sofa bed can accommodate up to six people. The Las Gaviotas Tamarindo Hotel has an open feel to it, as the living room leads to a private balcony. The main bedroom boast it s own balcony. The master bedroom balcony overlooks the swimming pool. $110 x 4 paxs.
- 360 Surf Camp (360 Surf Camp), In front of Milagro Hotel, ☎ (506) 26530917, . 360 Surf Camp Tamarindo Costa Rica offers premier Surf Camp and Surf School. Lodging in a perfectly located hotel in front of the Beach.
- Lucky Monkey, Tamarindo Vacation Rentals (Lucky Monkey I and II Playa Tamarindo, Guanacaste Costa Rica Ocean View Vacation Rental with Swimming Pool), Tamarindo, Guanacaste, Costa Rica, Central America (Lucky Monkey I & II - Pass Best Western Vista Villas - turn left before the football/soccer field, turn right at the T in the road located up the hill past Jarden de Eden and La Colina), . Located just a short 2 minute drive or 10 minute walk to the beach or center of town in Tamarindo, made famous by the classic surf flick "Endless Summer". From the property perched on the hill above Tamarindo bay the ocean view is visible beyond the seascape sunset and is even visible from the ground floor. The view from the higher floors has up to a 220 degree panoramic view of Playa Grande, the Estuary, Tamarindo bay and even all the way to Playa Pinilla.
- Tamarindo Villa, ☎ 1 508-7604060, . Tamarindo Villa 3 bedrooms, 3 baths, sleeps 6 + internet with the highest vacation rental value in the Tamarindo area
- Hotel Nahua, Tamarindo, ☎ (506) 2653 0010, . Apartments and hotel rooms around a lush garden with swimming pool, BBQ area and lazy corner to kick back and relax. Only a short walk to the beach.
- Casa Sueca, Tamarindo Vacation Rentals, Casa Sueca, ☎ ++506 88766675, . checkin: 2.00pm; checkout: 11.00 am. Casa Sueca is a eco-friendly unique tropical escape, with exuberant gardens, tropical fruit trees and a variety of herbs we welcome you to enjoy during your stay with us. Our large salt water swimming pool with Jacuzzi and waterfall also includes a BBQ Grilling area, all for your enjoyment. The property is fully gated with a private gated parking area and surveillance cameras for your safety. Casa Sueca consist of 5 newly remodeled, fully furnished Suites, Rent one or all to accommodate one person up to twenty-eight people. 3 Studio Suites on the first floor and 2 apartments on the second floor. Each offers a private entrance and private open air patio or balcony with hammock, table and chairs for outdoor dining. $99.
No one really wants to leave Tamarindo, but when the time comes, buses to San Jose or to Liberia are the best option.