Push for guide status
This article is near guide status—it just needs a few buy listings & specific listings for internet cafe. If Istanbul/New City was filled out a bit more, I'd recommend nominating the whole city for a dotm! --Peter Talk 14:02, 11 January 2010 (EST)
- Replacing the listings at Istanbul#Buy with prose about general shopping scene of the city (such as "Ottoman bazaars are here while modern shopping malls are there") after moving most of the listings to this district page (as most are located here) is something I have been planning to do for more than a year but I still can't get my hands on it. And I'll see what I can do about the internet cafes by searching for a few through the web, or better, checking them myself the next time I get to Istanbul.
- It'd be super-cool to have Istanbul as a dotm sometime in 2010 as it's one of the European Capitals of Culture this year and will get a little more attention than what she usually gets.—Vidimian 20:00, 11 January 2010 (EST)
- Might I suggest a decent city map before the article status is upgraded? Visual descriptions are great, but in a city of this size, importance, and popularity, it seems like a map would be very useful. TythosEternal 20:21, 23 May 2010 (EDT)
- Of course having a map would be great, although it is not amongst the criteria for a district article to be at "guide" status, as can be seen here. If interested in creating Wikitravel-style maps, may I suggest you to have a look at this and this pages? – Vidimian 20:47, 23 May 2010 (EDT)
- I'll happily draw up a map for this article, once you feel the collection of listings is basically complete. It is indeed at guide status already, though. --Peter Talk 07:00, 24 May 2010 (EDT)
- Wow, that would be awesome. There are a few more "see" listings that I would really like to add, but they are all under restoration and are closed to public in one way or another. Best to leave them out until you can easily get in without a permission. I can't really comment on "eat" or "sleep" listings though, because there should be hundreds or perhaps thousands more unlisted here, but the listed ones should be enough for most, if not all, travellers to the city I guess. And once a map is complete, I guess it would be not very hard to add the icon for occasionally added listing, I think, even me, who quit trying after a few attempts at Inkscape, can do that. And I would be more than happy to help locate the listings during the drawing process of the map. And by the way, what would you think about creating two maps for this district, one for overall with listings in the "outer" parts of the district, and the other zoomed in around the Sultanahmet Square, where most of listings, "see", "eat", "sleep", or no matter what else, are located? That would ease the saturation on that part of the map as well as help readibility. – Vidimian 08:43, 24 May 2010 (EDT)