reason for deletion: Canton was the former name of Guangzhou, not Guangdong (ref: encyclopedia Brittanica online: http://www.britannica.com/ebi/article?tocId=9273494)
Normal Wikitravel policy is to keep the cities list to no more than 9. I've just trimmed the one in this article from over 15 down to 12. Now what?
Guangzhou and the three SEZs (Shenzhen, Zhuhai & Shantou) have to be there. I'd say Dongguan because it is a fairly large city and Zhanjiang because it is the center of its region. That's six, What others should be listed, if any? Pashley 06:07, 13 March 2009 (EDT)
- I trimmed the list once before, that time from >20 down to 16.  Pashley 06:13, 13 March 2009 (EDT)
- I just created an article for Pearl River Delta and listed some cities there. That probably means the less important PRD cities like Foshan and Zhongshan can be omitted here. Shenzhen, Zhuhai & Guangzhou should stay. What about Dongguan? Pashley
- I can't say I know enough about Guangdong to make any good recommendations, but it is important that every city should be listed in some region. So if there is no subregion to move a less important city into, I think it's best to leave it in this list, even though that would break the 7+2 rule. --Peter Talk 15:54, 13 March 2009 (EDT)
- It seems Xinjiao which I earlier added to the cities list was trimmed too, which makes it an orphaned page again. I can't see any other suitable region/subregion to list it in, so I'm adding it here again. If anyone knows a better region article to list it, by all means please do so.--Vidimian 09:23, 27 March 2009 (EDT)
- I have created two new regions implying that we can now reduce the city list in the Guangdong article to nine (now it is eleven, and I do not know, which ones we should delete). But now the city list in Pearl River Delta is too long, would it make sense to subdivide the Pearl River Delta Region or could it be defined more narrowly than now? I would like to hear any thoughts on this. ClausHansen 09:31, 16 September 2009 (EDT)
- I'm not aware of any sensible subdivisions (unless we give each prefecture its own region, which would be overkill), so I think we can live with 11 cities. Jpatokal 12:16, 16 September 2009 (EDT)
- FWIW, Wikipedia appears to consider Qingyuan and Shaoguan a fourth "northern" region of Guangdong (see ), outside the PRD. If we copy them, it would reduce the city list by two. Jpatokal 12:19, 16 September 2009 (EDT)
- I do not think it makes sense to subdivide the PRD. Do Kaifeng and Taishan belong there, or are they more Western GD? Pashley
Where is Hong Kong? Did sink into the sea on the map? please add!