YOU CAN EDIT THIS PAGE! Just click any blue "Edit" link and start writing!

Talk:Electrical systems

From Wikitravel
Revision as of 20:33, 7 July 2009 by (talk)
Jump to: navigation, search

Nice diagrams! Are you going to put in more soon? Here is a nice reference page for the plug configs. [1] Fuzheado 00:53, 1 Feb 2004 (EST)

What other countries are using 110V ? Wojsyl 05:09, 30 Jan 2005 (EST)


I don't believe it. Are there any laptops that require grounding ? Wojsyl 12:47, 1 Feb 2005 (EST)

I think what is meant is that some laptop PSU's come with a plug with a grounding pin, that will not fit in outlets, that are not grounded. Then you need an adaptor. --elgaard 13:52, 1 Feb 2005 (EST)
Still, seems weird. Have you seen a laptop PSU like this, where one could not simply replace the connecting cable with the plug ? Aren't we inventing things here ? Wojsyl 17:30, 1 Feb 2005 (EST)
I would have thought so until I got my new Dell, which indeed has a 3-pronged plug, connected to the PSU with a weird-ass proprietary cable. So evidently these exist. Jpatokal 22:23, 1 Feb 2005 (EST)
They certaily do. I am traveling now and had to go to K-mart and buy a 3->2 plug adapter so I would not have to use my laptop in the bathroom (which have grounded plugs). Danish grounded plugs also have a pin, and can need an adapter. Of course you could cut off the plug and mount a two-pin plug. But you might prefer to ground it when you can, or you employer do not approve , etc. --elgaard 04:34, 2 Feb 2005 (EST)


The italien diagram is misleading. The holes have a smaller diameter, which mean they cannot be used with all plugs that would work in the "continental Europe" outlets. --elgaard 22:48, 31 Jul 2005 (EDT)

Having used the two-pin plugs on a number of occasions in hotels in Italy, I have found that the Italians have two different standards for these plugs. I have been able to buy convertors for both here in the UK - once I understood the difference. "European adaptors" claiming (simply) to be be ""european universal" are being misleading. The two standards are "amperage" based. Either 7.5 amps or 10 amps. The 10 amp adaptors do not fit easily into the 7.5 amp receptacles, though they can be forced in and work. Possibly with damage to both plug and receptacle. The difference appears to be the pin diameter. The 10 amp pins have a visibly larger diameter. Quartic 11.32 30 April 2007 (BST)


The Israel diagram is also misleading. In 90 % of israel sockets, the two holes have semi-circular form, alowing them to be used with the "continental Europe" outlets. --jarondl 15:19, 2 Oct 2006 (IST)


That thing about testing voltage using a hairdryer, is that correct? I'd guess that if the engine spins fast despite being set to "Slow", this means it's fed 240V while set to 120V, not the other way around. Problem is, I'm easily confused so I thought I'd check here first before editing ;) {Peirz 23:02, 11 April 2007 (EDT)}

I have edited that section out. It could work if you know what you are doing, but would be dangerous if you make a mistake. Davidbstanley 03:23, 12 April 2007 (EDT)

Looking for a converter

I am going to London & I want to bring my laptop, I need to find a converter/adapter that can handle every one I find says it does not work on stuff anything but hair dryers.

I don't want to get the wrong one & blow-up my laptop.

Thanks for any help -OX_Bigly

Check the power adaptor for your laptop. It should give an input voltage range. It will hopefully say something like 100-240. It might say 90-250. The important thing is that it should include 240. If it does, you can connect your laptop to a UK/European supply with any problems. You will just need to by an adaptor plug so that the US plug you have will physically go into a UK socket. These are readily available at the airports. Davidbstanley 02:55, 13 February 2008 (EST)
Also, check to see if it says 50-60Hz. --hopha 12:07, 14 February 2008 (EST)

Map of Frequency for Japan and Easterness/Westerness

It'd be nice to see a map of Japan showing power frequency use.

The use of the terms "Eastern" Japan and "Western" Japan is insufficient for foreigners. One is usually told that "Eastern" Japan uses 50 Hz, and that "Western" Japan uses 60 Hz, with examples of a few cities, but since Japan is long and skinny with a considerable North/South dimension, it's not clear to a foreigner what is meant by "Eastern" and "Western" Japan. By "East" and "West", one can mean side, as in West coast and East coast, or one can mean which end, such as North-East end versus South-West end.

The tiny part for Japan on the world map,, seems to indicate that by "Eastern" Japan and "Western" Japan, one does not mean East coast and West coast, but rather Northern or North-Eastern Japan and South-Western Japan. An extra map, just for Japan would help. So would less artful use of "Eastern" and "Western" 17:39, 4 March 2008 (EST)


This article is getting long and should be split into districts. Any suggestions on how to go about this? --Peter Talk 12:16, 23 October 2008 (EDT)

What does a universal adaptor cost from C to all? Does it fit all kinds of sockets? Isn't there problem with the frequency? Thanks in advance. 16:29, 7 July 2009 (EDT)