Struga is a beautiful city with a high culture as well as developed tourism that lies in the southwestern part of Macedonia.This town is characterized by its lake and the passage of a beautiful river that emanates from the lake called Drini i Zi.The town is known as an attractive place for tourists with beautiful lake and good for holidaymakers, as well as quiet, with good catering conditions and with good traditional foods.The city of Struga is known as an ancient and historic city inhabited by Illyrians with many contents from their past. In some houses and cultural buildings as well as along the Drini i Zi River, artistic figures of the way and the virtues of the foretaste of life have been discovered that proves from the time of neolithic the city was inhabited by Illyrians.Also, early life in this city is characterized by fishing that has been developed in the Drini i Zi.Struga has always been in the shadow of Ohrid, as Ohrid has more monuments and better preserved houses. But Struga can still be a fun daytrip from Ohrid if one combines it with a trip to the villages on the west coast of lake Ohrid where main sight, aside from the nice quiet beaches, are the cave churches. Unlike Ohrid which is situated on hills, Struga is flat, spread around Drim river. It is a great place to relax with a cup of coffee by the river.
In ancient time the city was known as Enchalon, which means eel (fishing eels in Drim river was very popular in Struga up until recently). The Via Egnatia road that connected Rome with Thesaloniki and Constantinople passed through Struga. The name Struga was used for the first time in a document in the 11th c, but it originates from the 7th c. The Byzantine travel writer Ana Komnina visited Struga in the 11th century and named it “City of 100 bridges”. While Ohrid was always cultural and religious centre, Struga played the role of trading centre of the region. It still does and a visit on market day can be fun. In the 19th century Struga played important part in the national revival as it was home town of Konstantin and Dimitar Miladinovi, brothers who collected and published a collection of folk songs (named "Folk songs from Macedonia") in 1862. Konstantin Miladinov wrote Sorrow for the south (also translated as 'Longing for the South') during his studies in Moscow. Today, in his honour, the biggest poetry festivals in the world is held in Struga every year.
- The river Drim, which enters Ohrid lake in the St.Naum monastery, comes out in Struga after going through the whole lake.
- Vlado Maleski, a poet from Struga wrote the Macedonian national anthem "Denes nad Makedonija se raga". It was sung for the first time in Struga.
- The Vasilica carnival in Vevčani village has been held on 14th & 15th of January for over 1500 years.
- Ibrahim Temo, was an Albaninan-Ottoman politician,revolutionary,intellectual, and medical doctor by profession. Also you can visit the memorial bust near river Drim.
Ohrid "St.Paul the Apostle" Airport is an international airport in Ohrid, Republic of Macedonia. The airport is located 10 km from Struga.
Ohrid is the nearest tourist town with Struga which is 15 km away, a bus ride to Ohrid would cost you 40 denars but if you decide to go by taxi then the cost would be higher and would reach 200 denars. There are direct buses from Skopje and other cities in North Macedonia to Struga. Also there are buses to Tirana, Albania. Ohrid is just 15km away and there are frequent buses between them, a taxi ride from Ohrid to Struga would cost you same as the bus ticket (60 MKD - August 2015). Telephone of the bus station: 046-782770
Bus from Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Slovenia
Struga is a city that is visited by European cities, so we have different companies in the city that enable these relations bringing tourists from Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy and Slovenia at a reasonable cost of 80 euros.Contact the bus station: 046782770Contact Eurobus from European Relations: 00436643014416 Eurobus is an international coach operator based in Struga that has almost daily tours from Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Italy and Slovenia. Prices from 70€ and possible to get student discount.
Struga is small and easiest to get around is by walking. To visit the cave churches on the west coast of Ohrid lake take a taxi or check out the bus schedule. A 15 minutes walk along the lake will take you to Kalishta village and cave monastery. Struga is a city of high civilization and night life is quite frequent, both for young people and for the elderly. Poetry nights of Struga are held in August, whereby reciters are given the opportunity to present their poems. Also during the tourist season there are surprises - restaurants offering traditional and entertaining music where the customers will be relaxed and satisfied, you will see the favorite singers in the Albanian musical.
In Struge you can enjoy a pleasant walk and relax. Because of the beautiful lake full of special natural beauty that makes that characteristic of this city, the river that enhances its beauty and the attractive beach full of tourists, Struga has a lot of cafes inside the city that you can spend a beautiful and a good part of the time , also with a number of shops or malls where you can spend your time spending to buy or spend for shoping by fullfill a certain need. We also have the green market or bazaar where you can buy fresh products or green vegetables such as fruits, vegetables, and quality greens. We also have religious cults the mosque and the church. Where the mosque brings beautiful and antique images that symbolize the development of this religious rite in the past. Inside the city you can also find old traditional houses that symbolize the beauty of the past and the ancient civilization of that time. We will encounter the cultural building called the Halveti Teke representing ottoman culture in Struga. We also have a museum where we can see a part of the historical past of this country Unfortunately Struga has lost most of its old houses and atmosphere. Still one can enjoy a pleasant walk around the city and spend an hour or two here.
- Old Bazaar is a straight street, and today has more cafes than shops. It ends with a lively market. On the end of it after the crossroad is St.George Church a good example of revival period architecture built in 1835. The church is most famous for the St.George Icon painted in 1267, and considered miraculous as it was found in the lake. The only part of the city which has managed to preserve couple of old houses and atmosphere is along Goce Delcev Street left of the old bazaar. It starts with a lovely small stone house which once was a residence of church officials (notice the small altar of the chapel that once was in the house). Towards the end of the street there are couple of traditional houses preserved, including the so-called island house as it stands alone in the middle of a small square.
- Halveti Teke - is one of the most representative examples of Ottoman architecture in Struga and it is protected by the Macedonian Cultural Memorial Institute. The tekke (Muslim monastery) was established by Hasan Baba (Asan Dede) in the beginning of the 18th century and consists of five rooms in the shape of the letter T.
- Other interesting examples of traditional architecture can be seen on Braka Miladinovci and Niko Nestor Streets right from the bazaar. The first one begins with Miladinovci House in which the brothers were born and lived and today it serves as a museum dedicated to them. Right opposite of it is Vangel Kodzoman Gallery one of the most famous Macedonian painters of the 20th c. Checking out his paintings will show you Struga which unfortunately does not exist any more. On Niko Nestor Street check out *Nikola Nezlobinski Nature Museum with fauna from the area including some extinct species. The museum was founded in 1928 by Nikola Nezlobinski, a Russian doctor who lived and worked in Struga after the October Revolution.
- Poetry Park it is located near river Drim
- "Struga Poetry Evenings - is held in the second half of August for over 40 years now. There are two rewards given, one for lifetime achievement, and one for a young poet (if you have just published your first book of poetry send it to UNESCO, as they decide who gets this award).
- Man's Beach you can go on the beach in Ohrid Lake.
- Women's Beach you can go on the beach in Ohrid Lake.
- Hotel Izgrev Spa&Aqua PArk is located in Kalishta village.
Struga has a large number of restaurants that completes each client's request depending on what he or she wants.We have restaurants that bring traditional foods as well as restaurants that bring European professional foods.
- Sv.Nikola, Goce Delcev 88, ☎ 0038970362720. Macedonian national restaurant where you can find the most amazing national food. The location of this restaurant is very good, next to the river Drim, where you can enjoy food and relaxing music.
Accommodation in Struga is comfortable and cozy enough.Struga for clients offers the choice of how and where they want to stay.There are all options at their disposal, they can choose to relax at a five-star hotel where the evening price would be 50 eu, where they would win all the maximum conditions to satisfy their needs and wishes at a residence starting from sleeping conditions , cleaning, swimming pool and food procedures..Also, if customers can not afford the price they can choose to rest in apartments at cheaper prices where the prices are around 5 euros, but here the level of the conditions is lower. Same as in Ohrid, accommodation is easy in Struga as many people rent rooms starting from 300 denars per person per night. Here is a list of some hotels in Struga:
- Inex Drim, Tel: 389-782-611. This is a hotel that is perfectly matching with the old architecture of this town and the old bazaar around it. It is on the bank of the Drim River. There are 50 rooms inside, a few restaurants, a night club, a casino, an automatic bowling room, indoor and outdoor pools, a congress center, and a tennis court.
- Royal, Tel: +389-46-784-136,  This new hotel is one of the finest in Struga. It is located within 5 minutes walk from the town center and the town market. The hotel disposes to its guests 31 rooms (single, double and triple), equipped with everything necessary to make your stay complete, a restaurant and a summer terrace-garden.
- Montenegro, Tel: +389 46 780 330  New family-run hotel on a great location.
If we decide to take a walk away from the city, the best option would be the city of Ohrid, Because it is closer and is also a very beautiful, attractive and frequented place for visitors, especially for foreign visitors.The visit to Oher allows your choice to spend a day at the beach of this city or visit some beautiful and historic locations in this place such as the castle, caves and churches. If we are nature lovers, we can also choose to visit the part of mountainous area where we have the National Mountain Park "Shebenik-Jabllanice
- Ohrid, the most famous city on Lake Ohrid, is just 15 km away and full of culture.
- Shebenik-Jabllanice National Park is a mountainous national park just across the border in Albania.
West coast of Ohrid Lake
- Kalishta cave monastery
- St. Atanasie cave church
- Radozda village and St. Mihail cave church
Away from the lake:
- Vevčani village
- Gorna Belica village
- Bacilo Labunishta
- Bacilo Podgorci
|This article is an outline and needs more content. It has a template, but there is not enough information present. Please plunge forward and help it grow!|