Stowe  is a four season resort town located in north-central Vermont at the base of Mount Mansfield—Vermont's highest peak. It is home to Stowe Mountain Ski Resort.
Stowe is located at the Junction of Vermont Routes 108 and 100. Access is 10 miles North on Rte 100 from Exit 10 on Interstate 89. The closest major airport is Burlington (BTV) about 40 minutes away. Stowe is about 2 hours from Montreal, 3 hours from Boston and 6 hours from New York City.
Most of the the activity in Stowe is centered in the historic Village and along the Mountain Road (Route 108) that extends from the Village about 5 miles to the ski area. It is easy to get around, and in the winter there is a free shuttle that runs frequently between the Village and the Mountain.
- Vermont Ski Museum, 15 S Main St, +1 802 253-9911, . Daily except Tu 12PM-5PM. The exhibits change regularly. Recent exhibits included Lost Ski Areas Remembered, A Timeline of Vermont's Skiing History and a display of old equipment. Free will donation $3, families $5.
- Trapp Family Lodge. 700 Trapp Hill Road, Toll free: 1-802-253-8511, . Made famous by the "Sound of Music", this is a must see when visting Stowe. In the winter, the public can enjoy cross country skiing. In summer, concerts in the Trapp Family Meadow are popular with visitors and locals.
- Nearby, Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream Factory, Cabot Cheese Outlet and the Cold Hollow Cider Mill are on many people's lists of favorite stops.
- Stowe has many photo opportunities: covered bridges, hiking trails, a river winding through town, mountains and of course brilliant fall foliage.
The list of activities in Stowe is quite extensive, particularly for those who enjoy outdoor sports.
Stowe is considered by many to be the Ski Capital of the East.
- Biking - both mountain and road biking
- 5 Mile Recreation Path
- canoe river tours
- Horseback Riding
- Back road touring
- Gondola ride and toll road up Mt. Mansfield
- Factory Tours at Ben & Jerry's
- Downhill Skiing 
- Cross Country Skiing 
- Several nice spas
Lots of unique shops in Stowe - there are no chains or outlets in Stowe which is part of its charm. The retail shops are mixed in with restaurants, coffee houses, inns, offices and homes. Many of the buildings are old and interesting just to walk through.
There are no big parking lots, so you won't be trying to remember which row and section your car is in. Retail shopping is on both sides of Main Street which is also known as Route 100. More shops are spread out along the Mountain Road, or Route 108. Mountain Road forms a "T" with Main Street.
- Vermont Heritage Gifts & Crafts
- In Company Clothing, .
- Shaw's General Store
- Stowe Craft Gallery, .
- Green Mountain Fine Art Gallery, .
- Stowe Craft Design Center
- Stowe Kitchen Bath & Linens, .
- AJ's Ski & Sports, .
- Harvest Market.
- Mountain Cheese and Wine
Stowe is famous for its many fine restaurants.
- Pickwick's Pub (British pub fare - great beer selection)
- Gracies (Food Poisoning HQ)
- Foxfire (Italian)
- Trattoria La Festa (Italian)
- Pie in the Sky (Pizza)
- Piecasso (Pizza)
- The Matterhorn (Best in Stowe)
- Blue Moon Cafe (for that romantic night out)
- Mc Carthy's (popular local lunch & breakfast spot)
- Colonial Cafe (great breakfasts)
- Depot Street Malt Shop (back to the 50's!)
- The Whip (a Stowe classic)
- Deer Hollow, (3 miles from the village), ☎ +1-866-481-8986. 19th century Hilltop Country Farmhouse with 3 bedrooms/2 baths. Fireplace, views, fully equipped (self-catering), Flexible arrivals and departures. ??.
- Golden Eagle Resort, 511 Mountain Rd, ☎ +1-800-626-1010, . Good prices, wide variety of accommodations, nice people, game room, indoor & outdoor pools, spa with hot tub, sauna, massage. Dining on site - great breakfasts are popular with locals.
- Stowe Meadows, 3233 Elmore Mountain Rd, ☎ +1 802-888-0002, . checkin: 03:00PM; checkout: 12:00PM. Stowe Meadows is a luxurious, romantic and intimate four-season Alpine resort, located near the beautiful village of Stowe Vermont. $210-$420. (44.50172,-72.55959)
- Stowe Mountain Lodge, 7412 Mountain Rd, ☎ +1-802-253-3560, . Luxury resort featuring lodging accommodations, cabin rentals and space for meetings and weddings. Additional amenities include golf, ski, and spa services.
- Ten Acres Lodge Bed & Breakfast, 14 Barrows Road (Make a left onto Moscow road and go 1.5 miles until you see a sign telling you to turn right for Ten Acres Lodge), ☎ +1-800-327-7357, . checkin: 3-7pm; checkout: 11:00am. The main lodge is an 1830s VT farmhouse, complete with hand hewn beams and family antiques. The Hill House Suites offer hotel privacy or choose the comfort of your own Vermont mountain resort lodging, a 2 bedroom cottage. $99-$299.
- Timberholm Inn Bed and Breakfast, 452 Cottage Club Road, ☎ 802-253-7603. Rustic New England style B&B. Ten guest rooms with private baths (2 suites). located about halfway between Stowe Village and the Mountain. $89-$209.
- Topnotch Resort and Spa, 4000 Mountain Road Stowe, ☎ 802.253.8585, . Topnotch Resort & Spa is a premier New England destination resort and spa located on a 120-acre wooded estate.
- Green Mountain Inn, . Right in the heart of the village with excellent on-site dining option at "The Whip." Reasonable rates, close to shopping and other dining as well.
- Stone Hill Inn, 89 Houston Farm Road, ☎ (802) 253-6282, . Secluded luxury inn with see through fireplaces and jazuzzi tubs in each of our 9 rooms. $299 - $425.
- Short drive to Burlington and Lake Champlain.
- Short drive to Barre Granite Quarries.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!