Stolberg in the Harz is a health resort in the state of Saxony-Anhalt . It now has 1536 inhabitants and is located 300 m above sea level. It is known as the ‘pearl of Southern Harz’.
The town of Stolberg was established in the year 1000 as a settlement for miners, mining in the area can be traced back to the year 794, where they used to mine for iron, copper, tin, silver and gold. However this was discontinued in the 17th Century.
On 2 May 1525 a rebellion took place under the leadership of Thomas Müntzer, this was known as the German Peasant war. They invaded the city and forced Count Botho of Stolberg to accept their demands, all demands were reversed shortly after.
The town was awarded to the Kingdom of Prussia in 1815, subsequently the town was administered in the Prussian Province of Saxony.
The half timbered houses which were designed in the Renaissance style can be dated back to the 15th Century, for this reason Stolberg was named the “Historical City of Europe”
At the beginning of the 20th Century tourists started to visit the town, which then became a resort in 1946.
- Leipzig Airport is east of Stolberg and is around 140km (roughly one hour and thirty minutes) and is 20km away from Leipzig city centre. There are a number of international and national flights that take place.
- From west (Göttingen): Take the A38 toward Leipzig/Halle then take exit 13 towards the B85 Stolberg. Continue until you see signs for L236 Stolberg/Harz this will continue onto the L237, follow the signs until you reach the town centre.
- from eas (Leipzig): Take the A38 towards Göttingen until you can turn onto the B85 Stolberg. Continue until you see signs for L236 Stolberg/Harz this will continue onto the L237, follow the signs until you reach the town centre
Stolberg (Harz) has its own train station, which is located near the city centre. The train conncects to Berga-Kelbra where you can then connect onto the Halle-Kassel line, this is a 218km track with a vast number of stops.
- By Foot due to the towns many small streets and alleyways it is best to explore by foot.
- By Taxi If your legs are tired from all the walking it is poosible to get a taxi from Neustadt 14, 03465 4479.
- By Bike There are a number of hotels in the town that offer bike rental if you prefer to explore by bike.
- The Old Mint Museum, Niedergasse 19, ☎ +4934654/85960, . Mon-Tue: closed, Wed-Fri: 10:00-12:30, 13:00-17:00, Sat/Sun/holidays 10:00-12:00, 13:00-17:00. This is based in one of the towns oldest buildings. The museum was completely renovated and you can now watch the master produce coins, which is completely unique in Europe.
- The Old Town House, Rittergasse 14, ☎ +4934654/85955. Is an original half timbered house where you can see what living conditions were like in 1470.
- Stolberg Castle, Schloßberg 1, ☎ +49 34654 85888 ([email protected]), . "Mon-Closed. The catsle stands on a sloping hill, the older parts of the castle were built aroun 1200, the newer parts were built in the style of the Renaissance 1539-1547. The Castle, former home of the Prince of Stolberg-Stolberg. The castle is going through a renovation at present but sightseeing may be possible with a reservation, phone: +493946 810030 (Helga Junge)
- Stolberg Rathaus (Town Hall), Markt, . This timber building was built in 1454. The bottom half of the building was previously used as a trade house whilst the second floor was used as a school.
- Coffee Museum, Rittergasse 77, ☎ +4934654 80941, . Mon-Tue Closed Wed-Sun 14:00-17:00. There are around 250 items for you to enjoy and see how coffee was produced from around the world with the oldest piece coming from aroun 1815. Entrance Free €5 for ne piece of cake and unlimited coffee or €7 for 2 pieces cake and unlimited coffee.
- St Martini Church, Am Markt, . This church is considered one of the most important buildings in Stolberg. It was built in the 12th Century and renovated in the 13th Century in the gothic style it is today. The organ was built in 1701/03 and has 1569 pipes.
- The Kights Lane, Rittergasse. This is know as the Knights Lane due to the historical nature, it is a must to walk down the road and be transported back to medieval times.
- Thomas Müntzer Monument, Am Markt. The monument was created by Klaus Messerschmidt to mark the 500th birthday of Thomas Müntzer.
- Winter Festival, Joseph's Cross. Early February each year. Enjoy games and fun in the snow at the largest steal cross
- Walpurgis Eve, Joseph's Cross. 30 April each year. with theater, musicians, herb women, broom binders, witches and devils and a great final fireworks display.
- Forrest festival, Joseph's Cross. Last Sunday in July. Limburger tradition, folklore, cuisine, musicians and traders will be their to sell their crafts
- Historic Town Festival, Am markt. Second weekend in August. Stalls with different crafts, craftsmen, entertainers and musicians.
- European City Festival, Am Markt. Second weekend in September. Each year a city twinned with Stolberg is invited to the town where they enjoy cultural and culinary delights from that country.
- Chirstmas Market, Am Markt, . 09-11 Dec 2011. Fri 14:00-19:00 Sat-Sun 10:00-19:00. Various stalls to purchase locally made food and crafts. Lots of music and Christmas spirit Various prices depending on what you want to buy but entrance is free.
- Thyragrotte adventure, Thyratal 5, ☎ +4934654 92110 ([email protected]), . Sun-Thu: 10:00-21:00; Fri/Sat 10:00-22:00. Is known as a water park complete with sauna, steam room, solariam and reclining chairs for total relaxation. Range from €2.60-€15.40 depending how long you stay.
- Hike Stolberg is surrounded by forests so it is a good opportunity to go hiking and explore what the area has to offer. The best hikes and destinations can be found at www.wandern-in-stolberg.de Hiking.
- Anderswelt Theatre, Thyrahöhe 29, ☎ +4934 654 10 550, . Various different productions however, they will all be in German.
- Cinema, Niedergasse 45, ☎ +493465410300. The cinema house has around 180 seats and was first opened in 1923. Various new films available however, they will be in German.
A speciality of the town is the Stolberger Lerchen. This is a sausage with pork meat and spices. They generally served kale.
- Gusto, Niedergasse 72/74, ☎ +4934654855840 ([email protected]), . Mon-Tue Closed Wed-Thu 17:00-22:00 Fri 14:00-23:00 Sat 11:00-23:00 Sun 11:00-22:00. This is a small modern restaurant serving Italian cuisine.
- Stolberger Hof, Markt 6, ☎ +4934654320 ([email protected]), . Open from 18:00. This restaurant serves regional cuisine and uses the local area for inspiration. Mains between€13-€24.
- Schwarzer Apollo, Schindelbruch 1, ☎ +49346548080 (fax: +4934 654808458), . Daily from 12:00-16:00 18:00-22:00. There are two restaurants within the hotel the Waldrestaurant which is surrounded by wood and serves tradiontal German and international cuisine. You could always enjoy a meal in the fine dining restaurant where you can enjoy fresh high quality food and the kitchen staff take into consideration the seasonal produce from the region. Mains in the Wald restaurant between €8-€20 Fine dining for a 3 course meal €59, 4 course meal €65, 5 course meal €68 or 7 courses for €85. Mains range from.
- Gasthaus Kupfer, Am Markt 23, ☎ +4934654422 ([email protected], fax: 03465410224), . checkin: 14:00-22:00; checkout: 07:00-11:00. The hotel is situated in the heart of the town where there are some stunning views. €42-€64.
- Chalet Waldfrieden, Rittergasse 77, ☎ +49346548090 ([email protected], fax: +493465480941). The hotel is situated on the outskirts of the town on the edge of the forest with views of Stolberg Castle. You can always enjoy a 3 course meal in the hotels restaurant. €35-€61.
- Hotel Zum Kanzler, Markt 8,, ☎ +4934654205 ([email protected], fax: +4934654315), . checkin: 15:00-18:00; checkout: 07:00-11:00. This hotel has been around 400 years and is situated in the market square opposite the town hall. Why not enjoy a meal in the hotel's restaurant where the meat is supplied by the in house butchers. €64-€74.
- Stolberger Hof, Markt 6, ☎ +4934654320 ([email protected], fax: +4934654437), . This hotel is one of the oldest in Stolberg and has been around for 800 years. There is an onsite restaurant where you can enjoy some German cuisine. €47-€89.
- Hotel Zum Bürgergarten, Thyratal 1, ☎ +49346548110 (fax: +49-(0)34654-811-100), . checkin: From 1200; checkout: 07:00-11:00. A family run hotel set in a timbered style house, there is the added bonus of a jacuzzi, infra red cabin and the opportunity to have a massage. There is an onsite restaurant where you can enjoy some local German cuisine. €64-€81.
- Schindelbruch, Schindelbruch 1, ☎ +49346548080 (fax: +4934654808458), . This hotel was newly renovated in 2008 and boasts of modern rooms. There is also the opportunity to use the wellness facilites where you can use the swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna, gym or why not try a beauty treatment. Enjoy a meal in the restaurant wher eyou can enjoy local cuisine including venison, mushrooms and herbs from the forest. €74-€150.
- Ferienhaus Haus am Wald, Thyrahöhe 9, ☎ +4934654636 (fax: +4934654636), . This apartment sleeps up to 5 people and is located right next to the Thyragrotte. The apartment consists of 2 double and one single bedroom with a refrigerator, 4 plate stove, oven, microwave and dishwasher. €40-€55.
- Ferienapartmenthaus am Rittertor, Rittergasse 90, ☎ +34654855765, . Consists of 2 modern apartments with 2 double bedrooms, 1 single room and a cot. The apartments are situated in the cnetre of Stolberg. There is a fitted kitchen with 2 hotplates, refrigerator, crockery, kettle, coffee maker and toaster. €45 for 2 people then €10 extra for each person over 14.
- Ferienappartements-Gusto, Niedergasse 72/74, ☎ +4934654290 (fax: +493465410553), . The apartment is situated on the main street in Stolberg. It has one double and two single bedrooms. It come equipped with a fridge, 4 ring hob and an oven. €65-€75.
- Ferienappartements Sonja, Rittergasse 69, ☎ +4959222122 (fax: +4959222116), . This apartment is situated in the heart of Stolberg and has a double bedroom. There is heated flooring along with a well equipped kitchen and washing facilities.- €39.
- Forsthaus Auerberg, Auerberg 1, ☎ 4934654467 ([email protected], fax: +493465410570), . The hostel is 4km away from the town centre. There are heated cabins available or you could share in the main block, there are a number of recreational activites that you could get involved in from tennis, football and swimming.
- Joseph's Cross (Joseph's Kruez), Josephshöhe. Daily 10:00-17:00 or closed in poor weather conditions. This tower which was commissioned by Count Stolberg in 1823, however it had to be renovated in 1880 due to a lightning strike destroying much of the building due to it being made of wood. The cross was completely renovated again in 1989 and re-opened to the public in 2009. Itt is now made of steal and is 580m high which is the largest cross in the world, with some incredible views.
- the Heimkehle, is one the the largest and most impressive caves of Germany. May - October daily 10:00-17:00; November-April daily 10:00-16:00. Guidances as required, in general each hour, at least 5 persons. (distance 9km)
- Kyffäuserdenkmal, historical building for german patriotism
- Panoramamuseum in Bad Frankenhausen biggest painting in Europe
- Rosarium in Sangerhausen', huge roses garden
- Bergwerksmuseum Grube Glasebach', old mine to explore
- Rübeländer Tropfsteinhöhlen', another nice cave
Stolberg is an ideal point of departure for excursions to the Harz mountains. You can explore bizarre rocks, rare plants, listen to stories from the time of Kings in their castles, visit mines, caves or take a journey on the old railway, Harzquerbahn.