Södermalm is in Stockholm.
- Katarina kyrka, Högbergsgatan 13, +46 8 743 68 00 . Open to the public M-F 11AM-5PM, Sa-Su 10AM-5PM. Katarina kyrka ("Church of Catherine"), named after Princess Catherine, mother of King Charles X of Sweden, can be seen from many parts of central Stockholm from its location on a Södermalm hill. The church was built 1656–1695 and has been rebuilt twice after being destroyed by fires. After the first fire in 1723, the church was given a larger, octagonal tower. Following a new fire in May 1990 which left almost nothing but the external walls, the church was faithfully reconstructed and reopened in 1995. Several notable Swedes are buried in the cemetery. The most well-known is former Foreign Minister Anna Lindh, who was assassinated in 2003.
- The northern parts of Södermalm offer some excellent viewpoints with panoramas of the central parts of the city:
- Walking eastwards from Slussen up Katarinavägen you will reach the picturesque street Fjällgatan, with a view of Gamla Stan from the east.
- Monteliusvägen, a walking path that you reach from Bastugatan (north of T Mariatorget) offers a similar view from the west. Benches and tables offer picnic possibilities.
- Skinnarviksberget, a hill further west, close to the Zinkensdamm subway station, is a good option if you prefer cliffs to streets. When exiting the station turn back and head to the north. Walk up a small street to the right and climb the hill. Look for the "Kattenvägen" sign.
- Transport Museum (Spårvägsmuseet), Tegelviksgatan 22 (Bus 2 from Slussen) . Open M-F 10AM-5PM, Sa-Su 11AM-4PM. Maybe not for everyone, but still entertaining, Spårvägsmuseet is a museum of Stockholm's public transportation. Walking through historical buses and subway cars is quite fun but not enough text is in English. Admission 30SEK (15SEK reduced price).
- Between Slussen and Mariatorget, the Hornsgatan street has a narrow sett-paved side section on the north side, above the main street, nicknamed "Hornsgatspuckeln" ("the Hornsgatan bump") , with a lot of galleries. Some examples are the ceramics and glassware gallery blås & knåda (Hornsgatan 26, +46 8 642 77 67, ) Konsthantverkarna (Sodermalms torg 4, +46 8 611 03 70, ) and Grafiska Sällskapet ("The Swedish Printmakers' Association", Hornsgatan 6, +46 8 643 88 04, ).
- The island Långholmen (T Hornstull) has several good spots for swimming, including a small sandy beach.
- Eriksdalsbadet, Hammarby Slussväg 20 (T Skanstull), +46 8 508 40 258 . Offers both indoor and outdoor Olympic-size swimming pools.
- Hammarby plays their bandy home games at Zinkensdamms IP, Ringvägen 16 (T Zinkensdamm), on Södermalm.
- Midnattsloppet  is a 10 km night-time running event held annually in mid-August on the strets of Södermalm. There is plenty of live music and other entertainment along the course, creating a party vibe that draws huge numbers of spectators.
- Midnattsloppet 2011, Aug 13.
- Victoria, Götgatan 67 (T Medborgarplatsen). Situated on the lively Götgatan street, this beautiful 1930s theatre screens a broad variety of hollywood blockbusters as well as old classic movies ranging from the birth of cinema and onwards.
- Rio, Hornstulls strand 3 (T Hornstull). Amidst the bars of the Hornstull district, this charming independent theatre, neighbouring the LGBT-friendly café Copacabana, arranges screenings of movies of all sorts - from 3D-features to festivals of low-budget shorts.
- Götgatsbacken, the northernmost section of Götgatan on Södermalm, is perhaps best known for its nightlife, but also has lots of clothes stores with different profiles, including a new, small shopping centre called Bruno.
- The SoFo district , the cleverly rebranded area south of eastern Södermalm's Folkungagatan, has lots of designer clothes and design shops, as well as cafés and restaurants.
- Ringen, Ringvägen 100 (T Skanstull), . Open M-F 10AM-7PM, Sa 10AM-5PM, Su 12AM-5PM. Fashion, home decor, restaurants and more.
- Skrapan, Götgatan 78 (T Skanstull/T Medborgarplatsen) . A rather small shopping centre, opened in 2007, with a number of fashion stores and a rather diverse collection of other shops, in part geared towards the students living in the skyscraper on top.
- Bruno, Götgatan 36 (T Slussen). A very small indoor shopping centre with a handful of fashion stores focusing on street wear.
- Sneakersnstuff, Åsögatan 124, +46 8 743 03 22, . Open M-F 11AM-6:30PM, Sa 11AM-5PM, Su 12AM-4PM. Passionate about sneakers, this store has a huge assortment of contemporary and classic designs, including limited-range models.
- Boutique Sportif, Kocksgatan 60 A (T Medborgarplatsen), +46 8 411 12 13, . Open M-F 11:30AM-6:30PM, Sa 11AM-5PM. Somewhat odd shop with a large number of very hip and rather expensive street wear brands.
- Sivletto, Malmgårdsvägen 16-18 (T Skanstull), +46 8 643 39 72. Open Tu-Th noon-7PM, F noon-6PM, Sa noon-4PM. Going through a rather anonymous door on a silent back street, down a spiral staircase leading down into a dimly lit cellar, it is hard to believe you're on the right track. But when you step down, you will find yourself in the midst of a fascinating celebration of American 1950’s culture. Retro and vintage clothes, but also a lot of other stuff from the era, as well as a hairdresser and a café. Well worth a visit just for a look around.
- Fifth Avenue Shoe Repair, Bondegatan 46 B (T Medborgarplatsen), +46 8 642 80 55 . Traditional tailoring, modern designs, mostly in black and white.
- Nakkna, Tjärhovsgatan 3 (T Medborgarplatsen), +46 8 615 29 50 . Sophisticated young fashion in low-key colors.
- Lisa Larsson, Bondegatan 48, second hand store.
- Beyond Retro, Åsögatan 144, second hand store.
- Stockholm Stadsmission, Skånegatan 75, second hand store.
- Emmaus, Götgatan 14, second hand store.
- Myrorna, Götgatan 79, second hand store.
- Judiths, Hornsgatan 75, second hand store.
- La Principessa, Rosenlundsgatan 1, second hand store.
- Pet Sounds Records, Skånegatan 53 (T Medborgarplatsen) . A record store with independent pop, alternative rock and other genres of music with more cred than chart placements. A real institution among Stockholm's music fans.
- Multi Kulti, S:t Paulsgatan 3 (T Slussen), +46 8 643 61 29 . A small but well-stocked music store specialising in the genres popularly called "world music", with welcoming and knowledgeable staff.
- Tio gruppen/Ten Swedish designers, Götgatan 25 (T Slussen) .
- Bolagret, Inside "Ringen", Götgatan 98 (T Skanstull), .
- Coctail, Skånegatan 71 (T Medborgarplatsen), +46 8 642 07 40, and Cocktail Deluxe, Bondegatan 34 (T Medborgarplatsen), +46 8 642 07 41 . Open M-F 11AM-6PM, Sa 11AM-4PM, Su (generally) noon-4PM. Two rather eccentric sister stores with a collection of colourful household items and other stuff. Good for small gifts.
- Muggen, Götgatan 24 (T Slussen). A mainstream café with modern design in a central Södermalm location.
- Cafe Rival, Mariatorget 3 (T Mariatorget). A nice café, which like the hotel next door is owned by Benny Andersson of ABBA fame. (You won't find any traces of ABBA in the place, though.)
- Skåningen Kaffebar, Skånegatan 12 (T Medborgarplatsen). Very good coffee with excellent personal service. Small outdoor service where you can smoke.
- Cafe Helgalundens Korta Varor, Grindsgatan 35 (T Skanstull). Extraordinarily good coffee and sandwiches. Not to mention the service. They also carry a good selection of Swedish indie music, some truly hard-to-find DVD's and a few freshly printed T-shirts. All of it is sold at very affordable prices.
- Fåfängan - Café and Restaurant at the top of Klockstapelsbacken (Buses from T Slussen to Londonviadukten) . A café close to the eastern tip of Södermalm with a good view of the city. Music some days during lunchtime.
- Copacabana, Hornstulls strand 3 (T Hornstull), +46 8 669 29 39. Open M-Th 10AM-9PM, F-Su 10AM-7PM. Copacabana calls itself a queer feminist café and draws a LGBT crowd from all over the city, as well as locals both gay and straight. Friendly atmosphere and afternoon sun on a few outdoor tables.
- Vurma, Bergsunds strand 31 (T Hornstull) . Also on Kungsholmen and in Vasastan.
- Café Puck, Hornsgatan 32 (T Slussen or Mariatorget) .
- String, Nytorgsgatan 38 (T Medborgarplatsen or Skanstull) . WiFi access.