St Helens is a beach resort town on Georges Bay, on the north-east coast of the state of Tasmania. It is the largest coastal town in the region.
Did you know!
This small beach town was the claimed birthplace of the sultry Hollywood screen siren of the 30s, Merle Oberon. She was actually born in Mumbai of a mixed race family, but persisted with the myth of her birthplace until her death, even though she never visited the town.
St Helens is on the Tasman Hwy, which tracks the eastern coast of Tasmania north of Hobart. It is around two hours drive from Launceston, which is also the closest airport.
Boats in harbour at St Helens, Tasmania
St Helens has pretty white sandy beaches, rocks covered with spectacular orange lichen and crystal clear water.
- Bay of Fires Sailing, P.O. Box 197 - St Helens - Tasmania 7216, ☎ 03 6376 1783, . Five-star sailing and dining options from the town known as the seafood capital of Tasmania. $190 per person for 2-hour sunset sail.
- Michael Haley's Gone Fishing Charters, PO Box 149 St Helens Tasmania 7216, ☎ 03 6376 1553, . Gone Fishing Charters is a fishing charter operation concentrating on fish on the East Coast of Tasmania. Half day estuary tour $350 for 5 people.
- Ahoy! Boat Hire, Watersports Centre St Helens Tasmania 7216, ☎ 0418 164 089. Ahoy! Boat Hire offers a range of watercraft for hire from a dinghy to a luxury pontoon.
- East Coast Scuba Centre, 124 Binalong Bay Road St Helens Tasmania 7216. Offers diving and snorkelling equipment for hire on Tasmania’s east coast.
- Keen Angler Fishing Charters, ☎ 03 6376 3119. All year round. Join skippers Lionel and Kai-lee for a full or half day fishing adventure, big game or reef fishing, for up to 4 people.
- Pyengana Cheeses, St Columba Falls Road, Pyengana, ☎ 03 6373 6157, . Open 7 days 9:00am to 5:00pm (10:00am to 4:00pm in winter). Creators of award winning traditional cheddar cheese which is made using the methods of the pioneers. Apart from the cheeses, the Dairy shop sells deliciously fresh milkshakes, cakes, handcrafted wood items, pottery and more.
- Cerise Brook Orchard, 315 Medea Cove Road, St Helens, ☎ 03 6376 8397. Cherries and plums available for sale, along with coffee and tea. Also, 9-hole family golf course on site - clubs for hire.
- Homelea Accommodation Spa Cottage & Apartments., 16 - 18 Tasman Highway, St Helens, ☎ (03) 6376 1601, . Apartment and cottage accommodation. Standard apartment from $148 per night.
- Tidal Waters Resort, 1 Quail Street St Helens, ☎ (+61) 3 6376 1999, . Resort with 60 guest rooms. Special package $275 includes 1 night in King Spa room plus cooked breakfast and 3-course dinner.
- St Helens YHA, 5 Cameron St, St Helens Tasmania 7216, ☎ +61-3-63761661, . This hostel is centrally located and offers beautiful views. Twin room fom $40.
- BIG4 St Helens Holiday Park, St Helens, Tasmania, ☎ 1300 559 745, . From budget cabins to Valley View units. Villa Units from $130.
- Narringa Holiday Unit., 13 Akaroa Avenue, Akaroa, Tasmania 7216, ☎ 0417-137-693, . Fully self contained luxury unit. $130AU Per night.
A short drive north is Binalong Bay, gateway to the beautiful beaches of the Bay of Fires. Please note there are no shops north of St Helens and no water available, so stock up on fuel and bring your own water supplies.
Visit St Columba Falls, situated about 30 minutes from St Helens and 12 kilometres from the township of Pyengana. The Falls, which plunge 90 metres from the Mt Victoria foothills, can either be viewed from the car park or from a viewing platform at the end of an easy 15-20 minute rainforest walk.