Mandya (district) : Srirangapatna
Srirangapatna, (also spelled Srirangapattana or Shrirangapattana and anglicized to Seringapatam during the British Raj) (Kannada: ಶ್ರೀರಂಗಪಟ್ಟಣ) is a town in Mandya District of Karnataka State in India. It is of great religious, cultural and historic importance.
Located on an island in the Cauvery River, the town of Srirangapatna was once the fortress capital of the region controlled by Hyder Ali and his son Tipu Sultan.
Srirangapatna is 19km from Mysore.
Most of the trains that ply from Bangalore to Mysore stop here. However it is recommended that you take an early morning train, as this gives an ample window to explore the place.
Autos can be hired from near the bus stand, taxis are available too. Most of them understand Hindi or English, get hold of someone who does. For a predetermined price, they will take you to most of the places of interest. Price, as almost always in India, is negotiable, so ask 3-4 persons before deciding. Walking is another good option, maps and signposts abound, so getting around should not be difficult.
- Sri Ranganathaswamy Temple.Of Lord Vishnu in the sleeping posture on the great snake Anantha,is one of the largest temples in the state.
- Tipu's Death Place The body of Tipu Sultan was found here.
- Daria Daulat Bagh - the summer palace of Tipu Sultan. It was constructed in 1784 and is made of teak.Today is a museum devoted to Tipu Sulthan.
- Sangam (of four rivers).
- Gumbaz - This tomb and mosque was built by Tipu Sultan as a tribute to his illustrious father Hyder Ali (1722 - 1784 A.D.), after his death. The gumbaz is situated at the eastern extreme of Srirangapatna. It enshrines the cenotaphs of Hyder Ali, his wife Fakr-Un-Nisa and Tipu Sultan, after his death in 1799 A.D.
Restaurants can be found near the bus stand. Snacks are available is most of the small shops. However, food here is pretty basic as most people come here for half day trips.
- New Amblee Holiday Resort, 17, Srirangapatna, Mandya-571438., ☎ 08236 217474, .
- Hotel Mayura River View, Srirangapatna, Mandya.
- The Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary is located about 4km from Srirangapatna. Is home for a wide variety of migratory birds from as far as Siberia, Australia and even North America. Birds like Pond Heron, Spoon bills, White Ibis, Cormorant, Wild duck, Darter, Open Bill Stork, Cattle Egret, partridge, river tern, stone plougher and other exotic bird species that fly to the sanctuary in large flocks can be seen.
|This article is an outline and needs more content. It has a template, but there is not enough information present. Please plunge forward and help it grow!|