Sosnowiec (pronounced: [sɔs:nɔvȋεʦ]) is a city located in the south of Poland in the Slaskie voidship. A county capital neighbouring Katowice, and a mining and industrial region, it was one of the largest cities in the Silesian Voivodeship and Upper Silesian Industry Area.
Sosnowiec is hometown of Wladyslaw Szpilman who was a Polish pianist and classical composer. Szpilman is widely known as the protagonist of the 2002 Roman Polanski movie "The Pianist". The film based on the novel of the same name which talks about 2nd world war and Holocaust.
Sosnowiec is also a hometown of the world famous singer (tenor) and actor - Jan Kiepura.
The Katowice-Pyrzowice airport in Pyrzowice (24 km from Sosnowiec) is an airport for domestic and European flights to following cities:
- Alghero (seasonal)
- Bari (seasonal)
- Bologna (seasonal)
- Burgas (seasonal)
- Castellón (seasonal)
- Dubai Al-Maktoum
- Doncaster - Sheffield
- Fuerteventura (seasonal)
- Glasgow (seasonal)
- Kyiv- Boryspil
- Lisbon (seasonal)
- London (Stansted and Luton)
- Malaga (seasonal)
- Milan- Bergamo
- Naples (seasonal)
- Podgorica (seasonal)
- Porto (seasonal)
- Reykjavik- Keflavik
- Rome (Ciampino)
- Santander (seasonal)
- Split (seasonal)
- Stockholm (Skavista)
- Tel Aviv
Sosnowiec Main (Głowny) Railway Station is located in the city center.
Trains from all parts of Poland and other countries arrive at Central Station.
There are about 12 trains per day between Warsaw and Sosnowiec, and many more between: Katowice and Sosnowiec.
The main approaches to Sosnowiec are:
- from Cracow on the A-4 motorway; Sosnowiec is about 60 km westward of Cracow
- from Wroclaw on the A-4 motorway; Sosnowiec is about 180 km eastward of Wroclaw
- from Warsaw on the E-67 European main road; Sosnowiec is about 300 km south of Warsaw
- from Cieszyn (on the southern border) on the E-75 European main road; Sosnowiec is about 70 km north of Cieszyn
Sosnowiec has no big car parks system but there are many small car parks along the roads in the city center.
- Three Emperors' Corner. Place where borders of Russia, Germany and Austria crossed during partition on Poland.
- Modrzejowska street. Main city center street with many shops and restuarants, next to the railway station.
- Małachowski street. A parallel street to Małachowski street. There're many restaurants, bars, cafes and clubs. It makes it the main entertainment place in the city.
- Shoen familly palaces. Schoen familly was a German industrialists familly. They came to Sosnowiec in its XIX century prosperity period. They bulit two palaces- first located on Chemiczna streats heads a city museum, second- fairytalne-like one is currently a court building and it's located near the city center.
- Sielecki castle  Bulit in 1620 and restored in XIX century by Renard industrialist familly. Nowaday it heads art gallery and culture house. There's a restaurant in the back of it. The castle is surrounded by big park.
- Dietel Palace . Lovely XIX century palace built by German industrialist Heinrich Dietel. There're classical music concerts organised in the palace. It's surrounded by small park and located only about 10 minutes on foot from Sielecki Castle .
- Christian Orthodox church . Located on Kiliński street, not far from the city center.
- Cathedral. Neoromanesque on Kościelna street in the city center, bulit in the end of XIX century. There're beautiful polychromies by famous Polish art nouveau artists- Włodzimierz Tetmajer and Henryk Uziembło. The most interesting one is a polychromy of Adoration of Three Magi portrayed as Polish Kings-Casimir the Great, Stephen Bathory and John III Sobieski. Nearby Catholic House Dom Katolicki heads many events and conferences ( mostly in Polish).
- Multireligious graveyard. Located between Mirecki and Smutna street, it heads Christian Orthodox, Lutheran, Jewish and Roman Catholic graves.
- Egzotarium. Buliding located next to Stawiki lake. It contains middle-sized exotic plants, reptiles, birds, fish and amphibians collection.
- Leśna Park. Big park in Kazimierz Górniczy district . There're two fishing lakes, mini zoo, amphitheatre and many small bars and cafe.
- Ostrowy Górnicze. District not far from Kazimierz Górniczy with many old villas, tenement houses and workers' colonies. It's main attraction is Miners' Club Klub Górniczy bulit in Zakopane style with art nouveau interior. Nowaday it heads a hotel and restaurant.
- Saint Joachim Church complex. Located in Zagórze district. It's composed by neogothic church with art deco polychromies, mysterious Dark Chapel and remains of medieval castle. There're also springs of Potok Zagórski stream. Church heads many concerts and different events.
- Kolejowy church. Small XIX century church in the city center built by railway workers.
- Lutheran church. XIX century church bulit by Heinrich Dietel, located next to his palace.
- Jewish graveyards. There're two separate ones in Sosnowiec, one located on Stalowa street and other on Pastewna street.
- Balaton lake. Located near Kazimierz Górniczy. There's a restaurant and small hotel near the lake.
- Floriańska street. Street full of old tenement houses.
- St.Thomas church. Neoegothic church in Pogoń district, about 10 minutes by foot from the city center.
- John the Baptist church kościół św. Jana Chrzciciela. Neogothic church in Niwka district, only 15 minutes from city center by car or bus. There're beautiful polychromies.
- Saint Peter and Paul church. Tiny, neogothic church located in Maczki district, not far from Kazimierz Górniczy. There're nice polychromies inside and small chapel in nearby.
- Our Lady of Częstochowa church. Small church in Juliusz district ( close to Kazimierz Górniczy) adapted from coal mine pithead. There're mining-theme decorations inspide.
- Immaculate Conception church. Big, neogothic church near Sielecki Castle. There're big stained glass windows.
- Saint Barbara church. Tiny, neogothic church located on Wawel street ( about 20 minutes from the city center or Sielecki castle on foot or 5 minutes by car or bus) with beautiful art deco polychromies inside.
- Plac Papieski. Big place located between apartmenent bulidings in Zagórze district where pope John Paul II celebrated the holy mass . There's a big cross and Pope statue. It heads many religious events and masses.
- Jewish orphanage and hospital Odrodzenia street 9. Place which headed Jewish orphanage between 1920 and 1942 and hospital established in 1912 by dr Abraham Periman
- Jewish high school Sadowa 10. Place which headed Jewish coeducational high school in 1933-39.
- Sacred Body and Blood church. Contemporary church located about 15 minutes on foot from Leśna Park in Kazimierz Górniczy. There're a big mosaic by Zdravko Kamenarov, professor of Fine Arts Academy in Sofia, Bulgaria.
- Saint Brother Albert church Chabrów street 2. Contemporary church located not far from Stawiki. There're big lace-like tabernacle, blue painted ceiling with the stars and Holy Spirit scultpure. There're also a big Christ figurine outside highlighted after dark.
- Katarzyna. District near Sielec composed by Katarzyna Steel Works' workers colony
- Medicine and Pharmacy Museum (Ostrogórska 30). Museum dedicated to medicine and pharmacy history.
- Natural History Museum (Będzińska 60). Small museum located in Earth Science Department.
- Zagórski Forest (Las Zagórski). Big forest area in Zagórze region. There's a pond inside.
- Porąbka. Old mining district with some workers' house and interwar period villas located on Ligonia street. There're also some lovely tenement houses on Łukasiewicza street.
- Mine's chief house (Czołgistów). Lovely interwar period villa in district of Juliusz, not far from Porąbka district.
- Finnish Houses (Domki Fińskie). Group of wooden, Scandinavian-like houses in districts of Klimontów and Juliusz
As Sosnowiec has an industrial past, it also has some workers' colonies, the most interesting ones are:
- Druciarnia (Niwecka street)
- Focha (Orla street) It gained it name after Marshal Ferdinand Foch
- Renardowska (Staszica street)
- Ludmiła (Mikołajczyka street 62-68)
- Kazimierz-Juliusz colony (Główna and Ogrodowa streets). Beautiful villa colonies in Kazimierz Górniczy district, not far from Leśna Park
- Shoena (Będzińska street 45-47 and Chemiczna street)
- Kamienice (Kraszewskiego and Dobrzańskiego-Hubala streets)
- Ludwik (Witosa street)
- Walcownia (Maliny and Niwecka streets)
Famous people in Sosnowiec
There were many famous people living in the city :
- Majowa street 5 - house were Jan Kiepura ( famous Polish opera singer ) was born.
- Mariacka street 1- house where Polish writer Emil Zegadłowicz used to live.
- Andersa street 87 - place where famous Polish painter Marian Malina used to live.
- Kołłątaja street 6- place where Pola Negri used to live between 1919 and 1920.
- Targowa street 18- place where Władysław Szpilman used to live
- Cinema City - Sosnowiec Plaza , 2 Sienkiewicza Street modern multiplex type cinema with 6 screens.
- Helios , 32b Modrzejowska Street modern multiplex type cinema with approx 4 screens.
- Theatre of Zaglebie , 4 Teatralna Street.
- Sosnowiec Center of Art , 2 Zamkowa Street; Placed in Sielecki Castel.
Music / Events
- Miejski Klub im. Jana Kiepury , 65 Będzińska Street.
- MDK Kazimierz , 19 Główna street
- MDK Maczki , 26 Krakowska street
- City Library 
- There're sporadic live concerts head in Immaculate Conception or St Joachim churches, you can check them on their social media.
- WakeZone Stawiki , Szlak Dawnego Pogranicza.
- Ski slope Środula ,
- Poziom 450 climbing wall 
- Open air ice rink's open on Zwycięstwa street in winter season.
There're two open air swimming pools on 3 Maja and Wojska Polskiego streets. There're public beaches in Stawiki. There're wild beaches in Balaton lake.
- Bistro na Wspólnej, Wspólna 26, ☎ +48 511 232 545, . edit
- Pizzeria Pezzo, Kościelna 48, ☎ +48 505 543 020, . 14:00 - 22:00. edit
- Pizzeria u Francesco, Rysia 8, ☎ +48 32 785 41 41, . edit
- La Brusketta Trattoria & Pizzeria, Modrzejowska 6, ☎ +48 667 942 419. edit
- Czarci Mlyn, gen. Władysława Andersa 76, ☎ +48 601 533 070. edit
- Cogut and Wino, Małachowskiego 9, ☎ +48 32 297 95 95. edit
- Bombaj Tandoori, Partyzantów 5, Sosnowiec, ☎ +48 32 266 83 48. Indian style restaurant edit
Stulecia Square - the main square in the strict city center.
- Pijalnia Wódki i Piwa"
Małachowskiego Street -the main entertaiment street near Sosnowiec Main railway station (Sosnowiec Glowny), is full of bars, pubs, restaurants.
- Księgarnia, ☎ +48. edit
- VHS, ☎ +48. edit
- Kashmir Club, ☎ +48. edit
- Ministry of herring and vodka, ☎ +48. edit
- Pub No Name, ☎ +48. edit
- Pub Meduza, ☎ +48. edit
- Hotel Centrum, ul. Modrzejowska 3 (strict center, near rails station Sosnowiec Główny), ☎ +48 (0/32) 266 97 23 ([email protected]), . In historical building, three-star hotel located in the centre. It features 28 comfortable rooms and 3 conference rooms. From €30. (50.276484,19.130219) edit
- Botique Hotel, ul. Partyzantów 11, ☎ +48 32 266 11 22, . 3 stars, near city center, in a silent area edit
- Hotel Orion, ul. Przyjaciół Żołnierza 5A, ☎ +48 32 266 18 97, . 2 stars From €27. edit
- M Hotel, Wojska Polskiego 199, ☎ +48 32 363 63 00, . edit
- ApartHouse Apartamenty Centrum, Stanisława Małachowskiego 38, ☎ +48 509 989 299, . In the strict city center, on the main entertaiment street edit
- Hostel Sosnowiec, ul. Orląt Lwowskich 38, ☎ +48 791 934 974, . From €9. edit
- Hostel Mikolajczyka 59, Mikołajczyka 59 (1.5 from city center), ☎ +48 509 760 509. From €6. edit
- Apartamenty Europa, Henryka Sienkiewicza 3. edit Apartments not far from Środula Ski Center,free WiFI, breakfast included
- Kamionki, Teofila Lenartowicza 43. edit accommodation with restaurant
- euroHotel Sosnowiec, Broniewskiego 30. edit Hotel in Środula district,
- Art Hotel's Sosnowiec, Partyzantów 11. edit Hotel near the city center, free car park
- Zajazd Irys, Małobądzka 1. edit An object near the expressway, free WIFI and car park
- Alicja, Klubowa 2. edit Guest rooms in old Miner's Club in Ostrowy Górnicze district.
- Tymianek, Bolesława Prusa 62. edit Guest rooms and restaurant in Środula district, not far from city center.
- Euphoria Residence, Partyzantów 5. edit Apartments not far from city center
- Dom Górnika, Wojska Polskiego 100. edit Budget accommodation in Niwka district.
- Agnieszka, Łukasiewicza 33. edit Guest rooms in Porąbka district, garden, barbecue place, rooms with WiFI
- OW Balaton, Wileńska 1. edit Resort on Balaton lake with restaurant
In general city center is very safe although some districts like Pogoń, Klimontów, Niwka and Modrzejów are less safe. Try to avoid them if you travel alone. LGBT people can feel safe and won't catch anyone's attention in public places although showing public affection in less safe and big blocks of flats districts can be risky.
- There is company-organizer of numerous tradeshows and fair in Sosnowiec: