Sopron is a city in Hungary, close to the Austrian border, with a population of about 55,000. The officially bilingual town (historical German language name Ödenburg) is situated at the Amber Road, and in Roman times was named Scarbantia.
On August 19, 1989 the "Pan-European Picnic" took place near Sopron, when the "Iron Curtain" between Austria and Hungary was lifted for a few hours, allowing some hundred DDR citizens to cross the border.
The town is connected to Vienna by suburban trains every hour. Departure is from Wien Hbf at xx:19 and Meidling at xx:25. Travel takes 1hr18 minutes from Wien Hbf. Sopron is the penultimate stop on the line from Vienna to Deutschkreutz. Sopron is located within the Vienna regional tariff union, so if you have a ticket or travel-card covering the entire network, you can use it to travel to Sopron (but not other Hungarian towns served by suburban trains).
The city isn't large, so you can walk or buy a ticket to ride the public bus lines.
It is around a ten minute walk from the train station to Fő tér, the old town square.
- The main landmark of the city is the "Fire Tower"/"Feuerturm" (Tüztorony, Fö tér 1), with a museum of history of the city. Climb the tower for views of the city and the forests surrounding it. Costs 1300FT as standard price; discounts for students etc.
- The Baroque main square (Fő tér) with the City Hall, Fire Tower, Storno-house (museum) and main Roman Catholic church. In December a Christmas market is held in the square.
- Fabricius - House (Fö tér 6) from 14th century with interior from 17th and 18th century
- Pharmacymuseum (Fö tér 2)
- Old Synagogue (Uj u. 22, end of 13th century)
- Várnegyed/Burgviertel (medieval city core)
- St. Michael Church with tower (15th century, Szent Mihály utca)
- Mining Museum in Palais Esterhazy.
- Liszt Ferenc Cultural Centre on the Széchenyi square.
- Buy some bottles of the famous Hungarian wine "Kékfrankos"
- Take a walk in the forest around the city.
- Drink a coffee in the café at Széchényi Tér with a view on the beautiful Liszt Ferenc Központ (Theatre and Casino).
Shopping is (still) cheaper than in neighbouring Austria.
In the city you can buy trendy clothes in the shop "Jeans Club" or you can buy clothes and other stuff in the Plaza outside of the city. There's a new shopping centre near to the border of the town, where you can find shops of various famous brands, like Benetton or New Yorker.
Lots of restaurants, predominantly Hungarian but also Viennese cuisine, frequented by Austrian daytime tourists.
Graben Restaurant on the street around the city centre, Hungarian and Austrian specialites. The restaurant has a good atmosphere.
Mediterrano: it has 3 restaurants, one of them is called "Spago". Italian food and good wines, there are mostly younger people because of it's design.
Unicum Étterem at Alsólövér u. 3. At the foot of the Lővér hills; great value traditional food. Easy parking. Popular with students at lunch.
If you're in Sopron, you have to drink a glass of the famous wine of the area around sopron, it's called "Kékfrankos".
There's also a disco in the city plaza, the "Colosso".
- Hotel Sopron****, . Providing a magnificent view to the town, is situated just 10 minutes to the Austrian-Hungarian border. It takes only 5 minutes walking to reach the heart of the city from here.
- Hotel Fagus- Hotel Fagus is a newly opened wellness and conference hotel ideally located in the Lövér forest in the beautiful city of Sopron. Only 7 km from the Austrian border, 15 km from the lake of Fertő, 60 km from Vienna and 200 km from Budapest.
- Hunguest Hotel Szieszta is located in the middle of a park in the Lővérek, a green hilly area whence a superb view is offered onto the town. The sub-alpine air, the wonderful neighbourhood.
- Mandarin Pension, 9400 Sopron, Baross u. 1, . about 30-80 EUR. Not recommended, next to 2(!) railway lines, a busy road and a night club.
- Danubius Bio Sport Hotel Lövér ****, 9400 Sopron, Varisi ut 4,. About 65-155 EUR
- Pannonia Med Hotel, ****, 9400 Sopron, Varkerulet 75, . About 35-100 EUR
- Rosengarten Hotel is located near the downtown of Sopron and offering a full range of services in dental tourism to its guests.
- Saphir Aqua Aparthotel . The newest wellness hotel of Sopron opened its gates early summer 2010 in a wonderful pine forest area. The 4-star aparthotel offers 30 well equipped apartments in different sizes.
- Hotel Gibraltar, Bercsényi Miklós utca 35, Sopron, Hungary, . Small family run Pension close to the center. 24 fully equipped guest rooms. Free WiFi and Cable TV edit
Sopron is close to the quarries of Fertőrákos, where in summer operas are held, and with a nice view on the Neusiedler See / Lake Fertő.
Near to the city is the Castle Esterházy in Fertőd.
|This article is an outline and needs more content. It has a template, but there is not enough information present. Please plunge forward and help it grow!|