Somerset West is a city in the Cape Winelands of South Africa. It is a suburb of the metropole of greater Cape Town, and is administrated by the City Council of Cape Town. Somerset West is mostly a relatively up-market residential district, but the commercial and industrial ereas of the city and surrounds have grown in recent years in proportion to the number of inhabitants. An economically significant number of the home-owners of Somerset West are the so-called "swallows", commonly citizens of a European country who keep a second (or third) home in South Africa and migrate with the seasons. As a result, a number of businesses cater for the shopping requirements of these occasional inhabitants, and house prices in some areas are relatively high.
From Cape Town, follow the N2 east and take exit 43 (R44 Somerset West/Strand/Stellenbosch).
From Stellenbosch, follow the R44 south.
- Helderberg Nature Reserve, (Follow the posted roadsigns), ☎ +27 21 851-4060 ([email protected]), . 7:30AM to 7PM daily Nov to Apr and 7:30AM to 5:30PM May to Oct.
- Monkeytown Primate Sanctuary, Mondeor Road, ☎ +27 21 858-1060 ([email protected], fax: +27 21 858-1082), . More than 230 primates have found a home here
- Lourensford, Lourensford Road, ☎ +27 21 847-2200 ([email protected], fax: +27 21 847-1669), .
- Vergelegen Wine Estate, Lourensford Road, ☎ +27 21 847-1334 ([email protected], fax: +27 21 847-1608), .
- Morgenster Estate, Vergelegen Avenue, ☎ +27 21 852-1738 ([email protected], fax: +27 21 852-0835), .
- Craig's Casual Eatery, 171 Main Rd, ☎ +27 21 851-3443 ([email protected], fax: +27 86 609-6688).
- 96 Winery Road, 96 Winery Rd, ☎ +27 21 842-2020 ([email protected], fax: +27 21 842-2050), .
- Blue Waters Seafood & Sushi, Corner Main and Van Der Byl street, ☎ +27 21 852-8012.
- Cattle Baron Steak Ranch, 9 Huising Street, ☎ +27 21 852-9992 ([email protected], fax: +27 21 852-5556), .
- Willowbrook Lodge, Morgenster Ave, Somerset West, ☎ +27 21 851 3759/ 60/ 61, . Very peaceful hotel / guest house set in own garden near the Helderberg nature reserve. D'vine restaurant offers very good dining. Doubles R950 - R2600.
- Berrydel Gourment Guest House, 28 Berrydel Avenue, ☎ +27 21 852-5967 ([email protected], fax: +27 21 852 8105), . From R500 to R800 per person sharing.
- Albourne Guest House, 61 Lourensford road, ☎ +27 21 852-2184 ([email protected], fax: +27 21 852-7050), . Owners can speak English, German, Dutch, French and Spanish From R285 to R535 per person per night, bed and breakfast.
- Somerton Manor, 13 Somerset Street, Bridgewater, ☎ +27 21 851-4682 ([email protected], fax: +27 21 851-4672), . From R435 to R635 per person sharing.
- Easy Five, 56 Parel Vallei Road, Somerset West, ☎ +27 21 852-2413 ([email protected]), . From R380 to R520 per person sharing, B&B, English & German speaking, Members of GC Erinvale.
- The Lord Charles, Corner Faure & Stellenbosch Roads, . An upmarket hotel in its own grounds on the edge of town. Boasts Nelson Mandela as a past guest. Caters mainly to tour groups, conferences and airline staff. Well-run hotel with comfortable rooms. Buffet dinners best avoided. R1500+ for a double.
The urban areas of Somerset West and Strand are contiguous, and there is often confusion as to where the boundary lies. For most practical purposes this is only important when using the telephone directory, as some subscribers are listed in the wrong area. If in doubt, try both.
There is not a great deal for the visitor to do in Somerset West except eat, sleep and generally reside. Social activities tend to centre on a few sports and home-based entertainment. For other activities the inhabitants generally go somewhere else.