| || |
Sichuanese are widely spoken through out the province and in west Sichuan Tibetan is still the mother tongue. Many young people in the western regions are bi-lingual. The vast majority of signage is always in Chinese throughout the province. |+|
Mandarin and are the Sichuan Tibetan is still the mother tongue . Many young people in the western regions are bi-lingual. The vast majority of signage is always in Chinese throughout the province.
| || |
Sichuan (四川; Sìchuān), also known as Szechwan, is a province in the west of the Southern Central area of China.
- Chengdu - the capital of Sichuan has 2000 years of history, its south east part is encircled by mountains and to the north east is Chengdu Campagna.
- Dege - home to an amazing Tibetan library.
- Ganzi - rough Tibetan town and launching point for exploring local monasteries.
- Kangding - gateway to western Sichuan's Tibetan region.
- Langmusi - beautiful Tibetan border town sitting in both Gansu & Sichuan, has 2 monasteries, horse trekking opportunities and a sky burial site.
- Leshan - home of the largest Buddha in the world.
- Songpan - base camp for exploring Jiuzhaigou Nature Reserve and Amdo Tibetan culture.
Chongqing Municipality is administratively separate, but culturally still Sichuanese. See List of Chinese provinces and regions.
Climate. See the climate table on Chengdu page
The language of Sichuan is a variant of Mandarin, which differs from standard Mandarin significantly in pronunciation, and uses slangs which are unique to the area. Nevertheless, native speakers of Mandarin will be able to understand the local dialect with some difficulty. Sichuan Tibetan is still the mother tongue in the west. Many young people in the western regions are bi-lingual. The vast majority of signage is always in Chinese throughout the province.
Sichuan cuisine is well-known worldwide, including dishes like Kung Pao Chicken (宮保雞丁) and Twice Cooked Pork (回鍋肉). It is also famously spicy, with liberal use of chilies and the indigenous Sichuan pepper (花椒 huājiāo).
One of the other specialty of the area is the Hot Pot (Huo guo - 火锅）, cheap but extremely spicy.
Feeling4Seasons Cafe Orient Times Mall 2F,xia dongda street,chengdu 028-66208848 offers italian espresso.
- The Pleasure Hotel is located in Qingyang District. It is conveniently situated 25 km from the Chengdu Shuang International Airport. It offers 97 air-conditioned guestrooms with a satellite TV, IDD telephone, private toilet and bath, and mini-bar. Address: 130 Babao St. Qingyang District, Chengdu Sichuan, China. Phone Number: 86-28-86250888. Price: CNY 237.80
- Nanfu Bund Hotel, ☎ 86-28-84553939, . Nanfu Bund Hotel is a five star hotel located in Jinjiang District. While staying at this hotel, you might want to visit some of their tourist spots which includes Jinjiang River and Wangjiang Park. They have air-conditioned rooms that has a cable TV, private toilet and bath, hair dryer, and a free high-speed Internet access. No. 117 Shunjiang Road, Jinjiang District, Chendu, Sichuan, China. Rates start at CNY 322.25+.
The province of Sichuan suffered a catastrophic earthquake on May 12, 2008 centered on Wenchuan County, about 100km north of Chengdu city. Many cities were nearly completaly destroyed and over 80,000 people are dead or missing with hundreds of thousands more injured or homeless. Government response was fast, but reconstruction will still take years.
Many of Sichuan's main attractions are located at altitudes above 3,000 meters and thus altitude sickness is a threat. Make sure to monitor your own health and take it easy for a day or two if moving from the low lands to higher elevations.
To help combat this sickness, many local Chinese eat medicine known as Hong Jing Tian. These are red capsules that the soldiers of the People's Liberation Army use to help them quickly adjust to altitude conditions in the Western Chinese provinces. Local tour companies will have a ready supply of this medicine if you ask.
There is also tension in Western Sichuan between the Chinese government and the mainly Tibetan people there and travel restrictions may apply to this area. See the warnings under Tibet.