Difference between revisions of "Shrewsbury (Pennsylvania)"
Revision as of 15:36, 20 October 2010
Shrewsbury is a town in the agricultural Susquehanna Valley region of York County, Pennsylvania. It is located four miles above the Mason-Dixon line (PA-MD border). With approximately 3,500 people residing in Shrewsbury, it is a small suburban community with many farms and family owned or Amish farmers' markets. With it's accessibility to Interstate 83, travelers can reach many Pennsylvania and Maryland locations from Shrewsbury very quickly and easily.
Shrewsbury was first settled in part of a larger area known as Shrewsbury Township in 1739. As the village developed, it was incorporated as its own town in 1834. The largest ancestry group in Shrewsbury is from Germany, with 38 percent of residents today identifying with either German or Pennsylvania Dutch heritage. The town of Shrewsbury covers a mere 1.8 square miles, existing in the township that covers 29 square miles. The township includes Shrewsbury, Railroad, New Freedom, and Glen Rock, and students attend the Southern York County School District.
The town has developed rapidly, with a population increase of 45 percent in the past 20 years. With nearly double the people, farms and pieces of land have been sold and commercialized with creation of strip malls and multiple shopping plazas. Although Shrewsbury is part of the York metropolitan area, most commuters travel south to Baltimore County for work. Sixty-five percent of Shrewsbury residents are married or have families, with a median family income of about $57,000 per year. Majority of citizens in Shrewsbury claim to be registered Republicans, and demographically, the town is 97 percent white.
* Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI), Baltimore, MD.
* Harrisburg International Airport, Harrisburg, PA.
* Driving North: From Baltimore, take Interstate 83 North. Shrewsbury is the first exit when you cross into Pennsylvania, Exit 4: Shrewsbury.
* Driving South: From York, take Interstate 83 South. Shrewsbury is the last exit before crossing the Maryland line, Exit 4: Shrewsbury.
1. Mason-Dixon Family Restaurant, 3 Old Farm Lane, Market Square Shopping Center, 717-235-6471. WEBSITE. HOURS. DESCRIPTION. AVERAGE PRICE.
2. Big Apple Bagels, 586 Shrewsbury Commons Avenue, Shrewsbury Commons, 717-235-9559.
3. Cracker Barrel, 13600 Wolfe Road, Stonebridge Plaza, 717-235-4040.
4. Ship to Shore Coffee, Inc., 17 Old Farm Lane, Market Square Shopping Center, 717-227-2232.
5. Starbucks, 14605 Mount Airy Road, Shrewsbury Square, 717-227-3520.
1. Aldo’s Pizza, 39 E Forrest Avenue, 717-227-0445.
2. Bill Bateman’s Express, 985 Far Hill Drive, Stonebridge Plaza, 717-235-2500.
3. Coach Light Restaurant, 99 E Forrest Avenue, 717-235-4711.
4. Emerald Garden, 564 Shrewsbury Commons Avenue, Shrewsbury Commons, 717-227-2288.
5. Ginza Japanese Restaurant, 616 Shrewsbury Commons Avenue, Shrewsbury Commons, 717-227-4949.
6. Nikolas’ Café, 551 S Main Street, Market Square Shopping Center, 717-235-2200.
7. Ruby Tuesday’s, 1020 Far Hills Drive, Stonebridge Plaza, 717-235-0223.
8. Sal’s Pizza, 437 S Main Street, 717-227-4846.
9. Spataro’s Italian Restaurant, 634 Shrewsbury Commons Avenue, Shrewsbury, Commons, 717-227-2000.
1. Arby’s, 669 Shrewsbury Commons Avenue, 717-235-8849.
2. Chick-fil-A, 14665 Mount Airy Road, Shrewsbury Square, 717-235-4200.
3. McDonald’s, 534 Shrewsbury Commons Avenue, 717-235-4663.
4. Quizno’s, 14645 Mount Airy Road, 717-235-7310.
5. Rita’s Italian Ice, 466 Shrewsbury Commons Avenue, 717-235-8588.
6. Subway, 18 Constitution Avenue, 717-227-0065.
7. Subway, 576 Shrewsbury Commons Avenue, 717-227-1741.
8. Taco Bell, 450 Shrewsbury Commons Avenue, Shrewsbury Commons, 717-227-1307.
9. Wendy’s, 75 E Forrest Avenue, 717-227-2563.
1. Domino's Pizza, 548 S Main Street, 717-235-6500.
2. Pizza Hut, 546 S Main Street, 717-235-7911.
1. New China, 549 S Main Street, 717-227-0028.
2. No 1 Szechuan, 14625 Mount Airy Road, Shrewsbury Square, 717-235-2828.
Shrewsbury only has one hotel in the Stonebridge Plaza. There are motels off the exit before and the exit after on Interstate 83 if travelers would like to seek cheaper locations. Most people traveling in and around Shrewsbury have family nearby; for those familiar with the area, the Bed and Breakfast that used to exist on Main Street was closed a couple of years ago.
Hampton Inn, 1000 Far Hills Drive. From Interstate I-83 take Exit 4, Shrewsbury. East onto Rt 851 (towards Stewartstown). Turn left onto Wolfe Rd in the Stonebridge Plaza. Take the first left onto Far Hills Drive, and the Hampton Inn is on the left. Phone: 717-235-9898. Fax: 717-235-9897, http://www.hamptoninn.com/en/hp/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=SWYPAHX. Check-in time at 3 pm, Check-out time at 11 am. Can be seen from Interstate 83. As the only hotel in town, there are always lots of people coming and going, so travelers should almost always plan to book their stay in advance. There's a complimentary breakfast with good service, and an indoor swimming pool that is very clean. Current price is listed as $111/night.
* Shrewsbury Borough Municipal Building, 35 W Railroad Avenue, 717-235-4371.
* Southern York County Library, 80 Constitution Avenue, 717-235-4313.
Nearby destinations that are suitable for day trips include:
* York, PA: Explore the unofficial, first capital of the United States and the original Harley-Davidson manufacturing factory. (15 miles, approx. 20 minute car ride)
* Harrisburg, PA: Explore the Capital of Pennsylvania. (42 miles, approx. 50 minute car ride)
* Hershey, PA: Explore Hershey Park and other chocolate town attractions. (50 miles, approx. 50 minute car ride)
* Lancaster, PA: Explore Amish country. (40 miles, approx. 45 mintue car ride)
* Baltimore, MD: Explore Inner Harbor and enjoy Maryland blue crab or other fresh seafood. (40 miles, approx. 45 minute car ride)
* Washington, D.C.: Explore the nation's Capital. (80 miles, approx. 1.5 hour car ride)