Shawnee is in the Frontier Country region of Oklahoma.
While normally not on the sight-seeing itinerary of those who do not know someone already living there, Shawnee could prove to be an interesting day trip.
In recent days, Shawnee has become increasingly known for its numerous Native American casinos.
Practically the only method of getting in or out of Shawnee is on the highway. Taxi cabs can be hired by calling a taxi service to have them pick you up, although doing so from another city could prove expensive.
There are no rental car agencies in Shawnee or at Shawnee Airport, so car rentals must be made before hand. Many times this is done at Will Rogers World Airport in Oklahoma City.
Most traffic enters and exits Shawnee via Interstate Highway I-40, although State Highway 3 and US Highway 177 pass through Shawnee as well.
Greyhound buses make daily stops in front of the American Colony motel on the far north side of Shawnee.
From there you will have to either call a taxi or arrange another form of pickup.
Originally established as a railroad hub, Shawnee still has many infrequently used rail tracks. While logistically difficult as well as illegal, it could be feasible to stow aboard a freight car inbound to Shawnee. Not recommended.
Chartered flights can be aquired to fly you in to Shawnee airport, most likely originating from Oklahoma City or Tulsa. There are no commercial flight charter services based in Shawnee, so arrangments for your eventual pickup would have to be made as well.
While towns in Oklahoma are quite spread out, some have been known to hitchhike especially along I-40. Not preferred.
If you are a tourist, getting around in Shawnee means either calling a taxi cab service to pick you up or using a rental car.
Shawnee is very, very spread out and if you will quickly abandon any thoughts of walking if you ever want to get where you're going.
Historical Places of Interest
- Downtown Shawnee see section below
- Log Cabin- 19th century log cabin built by early settlers. Has been moved from original location. Partially demolished.
- Burial Plot of Brewster Higley- The now deceased author of the western epic "Home on the Range" has his final resting place in Fairview Cemetary located next to McDonalds on Harrison Street. 1500 North Center Avenue, (405) 878-1529
Many old buildings from Shawnee's early years still remain, although most have changed facade and/or fallen into disrepair.
Shawnee Downtown Renewal Website
Notable Downtown Shawnee Buildings:
- Aldrige Hotel- Once renowned hotel tower that has been internally restored by federal funding as housing for the indigent elderly. 20 East 9th Street, (405) 275-9500 (Apartments), (405) 273-3030 (Barber Shop)
- Round House® Building- Three story manufacturing site of Round House® bib overalls for over 80 years. (Business moved outside city limits in 1995 when city code enforcement precluded expansion.) Round House® slogan still visible on side of building.
- Sante Fe Depot- Old railroad station turned museum. Has working railroad tracks. East Main St., (405) 275-8412
- Immanuel Baptist Church- Towering stone and brick sanctuary built ca. 1917. 1101 East Main Street, (405) 275-7729, Singles Ministry: 1125 East Main Street, (405) 273-2248
In recent years, Shawnee has spent over a million dollars "revitalizing" a three block section of Bell Street, one of Shawnee's oldest roads and site of the Aldrige Hotel and former Round House® Building.
Visitable improvements consist of:
- Replaced brick in the road
- Three jumbo sized potted plants which also serve to narrow the road
- Vintage stoplight(s)
- Small group of plantings in front of Municipal Auditorium
- Vintage standing clock (donated)
Note: This use of funds has proved controversial.
- Cinema Center 8 movie theater, 3031 North Harrison, (405) 275-7511 Business profile, Jones Theaters Website
- Hornbeck and Penthouse movie theater (Still commonly, and now incorrectly, referred to as the "Dollar Movie", despite a recent price increase to $1.50), 125 North Bell Avenue, (405) 275-0963, (405) 275-0964 (Office), Business profile
- Mabee-Gerrer Museum and Art Gallery, 1900 West Macarthur, (405) 878-5300 Business profile
- Movies 6 (located at Shawnee Mall), 4901 North Kickapoo, (405) 275-6666
- Noah's Ark Petting Zoo
- Oklahoma Baptist University Sporting Events
- Oklahoma Baptist University Theater (405) 878-2347
- Shawnee Airport Jogging Trail 4-mile track built in mid 1990's courtesy federal grant, 2202 Airport Drive, (405) 878-1625 (Airport Manager)
- Shawnee Bowl Family Fun Center (formerly Tri-County-Bowl; colloquially "Ghetto Bowl" although recent facility upgrades may have rendered this pejorative a misnomer), 701 North Harrison Street, (405) 275-4064
- Shawnee Little Theater, 1829 Airport Drive, (405) 275-2805, Theater Website
- Shawnee Public Library, 101 North Philadelphia Avenue, (405) 275-6353, (405) 273-3334 (Administrative Services)
- St. Gregory's University Sporting Events, 1900 West Macarthur, (405) 878-5100
- Star Skate Roller skating rink, 37303 45th Street, (405) 273-2030
- Veterans of Foregin Wars (VFW) Headquaters Weekend concerts and annual Super Bowl parties, 811 East Macarthur Street, (405) 273-7098
- Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA) Gyms, fitness facillities, youth sports, Saratoga & Hornet Street, (405) 273-4386, Business profile, Shawnee YMCA Website
"Cruising the Poo"
a.k.a. "Croozing the Poo"
One of the most common entertainment venues for tourists, and a local tradition that has been going on for more than 50 years, is known to residents as "Cruising the Poo". (Note: "Poo" is short for Shawnee's Kickapoo Street.)
Those wishing to "Cruise the Poo" generally enter Shawnee in groups leaving their home town via car, or more often, pickup truck. Once in Shawnee, these "Poo Cruisers" park in front of local businesses that are closed for the evening- generally on the mid to north side of Kickapoo Street.
Once there, a Poo Cruiser will meet and interact with visitors from other towns who have parked close by, although it is common for groups from the same town to merely interact amongst themselves and/or passing cars of other Poo Cruisers or Shawnee locals.
Unfortunately, underage drinking is known to occur, sometimes accompanied by drunken arguments and fisticuffs. Whether instigated by members of another group of Poo Cruisers, or by Shawnee locals passing by (who have been known to make derogatory and/or offensive comments toward Poo Cruisers), these activities are swiftly and handily halted by local police on neighborhood patrol.
Pooh Cruising activities mainly start around sundown on Friday and Saturday nights.
Note: While participants of "Poo Cruising" are generally youth from nearby communitiies, Cruising the Poo is always open to the general public, and many Shawnee locals get involved as well.
- Shawnee Golf and Country Club (Collared shirt and appropriate golf attire required)
18 hole course, Pro Store, and Club House dining available. 2501 Augusta, Shawnee, OK, (405) 273-4076 , Golf Shop (405) 273-2764, Greens Keeper (405) 273-0784, Office- 2300 East Highland (405) 273-1763
18 hole course; usually considered to Shawnee's budget golfing: "Golfing for the price of a gordita", Minature Golf located nearby. 1901 South Gordon Cooper Drive, (405) 275-4471, Business profile
Driving range and batting cages also available. Shawnee Lodge 657, (405) 275-1060, Business profile
Since Shawnee's many public parks are used infrequently by locals, a quiet and serene environment can usually be expected.
(Exceptions noted below)
- KidSpace children's outdoor play equipment (adult supervision strongly reccomended)
- Lions Club Park (has baseball field)
- Briscoe Rotary Boy Scout Park (lighted public tennis courts, great place for pick-up style basketball games) (not recommended after dark)
- Weigant Park aka "Slide Park" (not recommended after dark)
- Woodland Park (public swimming pool available in Summer months) (lighted public tennis courts)
Shawnee's Twin Lakes
Shawnee's Twin Lakes offer enjoyable avocation and adventure to anyone who likes to experience the outdoors and water related leisure.
One lake is reserved for fishing and angling.
Its counterpart lake is for those who wish to swim or take part in non fishing related activities such as water skiing, jet skiing, or drinking.
(Consuming alcohol while fishing can be dangerous to yourself and those around you; it is strongly discouraged.)
(Note: Due to pervasive droughts and low water levels, Shawnee Twin Lakes are often closed during the summer)
For a town of close to 30,000, Shawnee offers more than its share of civic, intellectually-exclusive, and intellectually-lacking organizations:
- The American Legion, 522 Saratoga Street, (405) 275-1706
- Bridge Club (2)
- The Ex-Cody Burger Fan Club a group once devoted to a minor child actor. 
- Kiwanis Club Sponsors of annual Little Olympics competition for local 4th-6th graders.
- Knights of Columbus
- Nathanial Hawthorne Society
- Optimist Club
- Rotary Club Tuesday meeting, Golden Corral; Annual Lobster and Grapfruit sales.
- Salvation Army - Boys and Girls Club, 200 East 9th Street, (405) 273-1470
- Shakespeare Club
- Shawnee Country Club, 2501 Augusta, (405) 273-4076, (405) 273-2764 (Golf Shop), (405) 273-0784 (Greens Keeper), (405) 273-1763 (Office)
- Toast Masters Devoted to the improvement of public speaking and business related acumen.
Note: it is currently debated as to whether or not the Shakespeare or Hawthorne organizations are actually devoted to discussion of their namesake authors.
Local Television Favorites
If none of the other activities or locales on this page interest the reader, he or she may be occupied by some of the various local television programming:
- Shawnee CTV Channel 99 on Charter cable
Broadcasts Shawnee High School athletics and a coach's shows on Wednesdays and Saturdays
- City Commision Meetings Channel 27 or 30 on Charter cable
The City Government can be watched in what is often referred to as "Shawnee's C-SPAN".
- Bargain World (formerly Bargain Barn)Channel 27 on Charter cable
A nightly, live auction show open for any and all.
In recent years, Shawnee has been surrounded by gaming establishments who advertise to be "just like Vegas". For smokers, these establishments offer the convenience of having their own smokeshops, which are not subject to local tobacco tax statutes.
Since the passage of the 2005 passage of a Tribal Gaming Amendment, Native American casinos can now offer card games along with their slot machine mainstays.
- 7-Clans Casino, 7500 Highway 177, Red Rock, OK 74651, (580) 723-4005, Business profile
- Boots & Saddles, 15700 East State Highway 9, Norman, OK 73026, (405) 360-9270
- Checotah Indian Community Bingo, 830 North Broadway Street, Checotah, OK 74426, (918) 473-4858 Business profile
- Cherokee Casino, I 44 & 193 E Avenue, Catoosa, OK 74015, (918) 266-6700 , Business profile
- Chickasaw Gaming Center 1500 North Country Club Road, Ada, OK 74820, (580) 436-3740, Business profile
- Chickasaw Nation - Thackerville, Gaming, Marietta, OK 73448 (580) 276-4229, Business profile
- Cimarron Bingo Casino, 821 West Freeman Avenue, Perkins, OK 74059, (405) 547-5352, Business profile
- Creek Nation Casino Okmulgee, 1601 South Wood Drive, Okmulgee, OK 74447, (918) 756-8400, Business profile
- Creek Nation Casino Tulsa, 81st, Jenks, OK 74037, (918) 299-8518, Business profile
- Delaware Tribal Games, Anadarko, OK 73005, (405) 247-6979, Business profile
- Duck Creek Casino, 241 Highway 75, Beggs, OK 74421, (918) 267-3468, (918) 267-3465 (fax), Business profile
- Eufaula Indian Community - Bingo, 806 West Forrest Avenue, Eufaula, OK 74432, (918) 689-919
- Gold River Casino, Anadarko, OK 73005, (405) 247-6979, Business profile
- Goldsby Gaming Center, I 35 Atkins Hill R, Norman, OK 73026, (405) 329-5447
- Hominy Casino, (918) 885-4842, (918) 885-2157 (fax), Email
- Kickapoo Casino, 25230 East Highway 62, Harrah, OK 73045, (405) 964-7864 Business profile
- Lucky Star Casino, 7777 North Highway 81, El Reno, OK 73036, (405) 218-9788, Business profile
- Million Dollar Elm Casino, Hominy, OK 74035, (918) 885-2990, Business profile
- Million Dollar Elm Casino - Sand Springs, 301 Blackjack Drive, Tulsa, OK 74103, (918) 699-7777
- Newcastle Gaming Center 2457 Highway 62 Service R, Newcastle, OK 73065, (405) 387-6013, Business profile
- Pawnee Nation Casino, 291 2nd St, Pawnee, OK 74058, (918) 762-4466, (918) 762-4544 (fax) Business profile
- Thunderbird Wild Wild West Casino, 15700 East State Highway 9, Norman, OK 73026, (405) 360-9270 (Self-description: A whole lot of Vegas and gold rush fun.)
- Tonkawa Casino, 10700 South Allen Drive, Tonkawa, OK 74653, (580) 628-2624, Business profile
As a classic example of middle sized town Americana, Shawnee boasts a variety of shopping opportunities , both budget and luxury oriented.
Books & Magazines
- Bibliotech Books & Comics specializes in sci-fi and fantasy literature, 123 East Main Street, (405) 275-9494
- Book Barn used book exchange
- Waldenbooks, Shawnee Mall, (405) 273-1599
- American Eagle Outfitters (inside Shawnee Mall), 4901 North Kickapoo Avenue, (405) 878-4735, Business profile
- Buckle (inside Shawnee Mall), 4901 North Kickapoo, (405) 878-0920
- Big K (K-Mart), 2323 North Harrison, (405) 275-4655, Business profile, Pharmacy (405) 275-2355
- Dillard's (inside Shawnee Mall), 4901 North Kickapoo, (405) 273-1500
- Goodwill Industries - Thrift Stores, 733 East Independence, (405) 275-9375, Business profile
- Hot Topic (inside Shawnee Mall), 4901 North Kickapoo Avenue, (405) 878-4790
- J.C. Penney (inside Shawnee Mall), 4901 North Kickapoo Avenue, (405) 275-2242, Salon (405) 275-6644 Business profile, Inquiries about catalog orders (405) 275-1515
- Salvation Army Thrift Store, 330 East 9th Street, (405) 275-4690, Business profile
- Scrubbies (Sterilized uniforms), 3305 North Kickapoo, (405) 275-2800
- Sears (inside Shawnee Mall), 4901 North Kickapoo Avenue, (405) 878-4230
- Stage Department Store, 805 West Ayre Street, (405) 275-1921
- Tener's Western Outfitters, 3309 North Kickapoo, (405) 275-8010, Business profile
- Wal-Mart Super Center (open 24 hrs), 196 Shawnee Mall Drive, (405) 275-1030, Business profile
- Wall's Bargain Center, 1600 North Harrison Street, (405) 275-1582, (405) 275-3911
- Walgreens Drug Store (open 24 hrs), 1427 North Harrison, (405) 273-8220, Business profile, Coupons and deals
- Shepherd's Men's Wear, 116 East Main Street, (405) 275-2280
Cars and Motor Vehicles
- Armstrong Motors (pre-owned)
- Harvey's GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Cadillac
- Joe Cooper Ford
- Kasterke Motors (pre-owned)
- McQuerry Motors (pre-owned)
- Yamaha (motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles, go-karts)
Discount, Thrift, Everything's $1
- Big Lots
- Dollar Tree (everything $1)
- Dollar General(2)
- Goodwill thrift
- Just Another, Slogan: "This ain't no musuem, this junk's for sale!"
- Salvation Army Thrift Store
- Save-A-Lot groceries
- Walls Dicount Store
- Big K (K-Mart)
- Neil's Furniture
- Salvation Army Thrift Store Furniture is available, though it is frequently stored out of doors.
- Starry Starry Arts
- Virginia's Home Furnishings
- Walls Discount Store
Note: Furniture and used appliances can be found for free in roadside ditches along the outskirts of Shawnee. Cleaning and sanitizing is strongly advised if you choose to go this route.
Music and Recorded Media
- CD Wharehouse
- Big K (K-Mart)
Trophies and Commemorative Decorations
- Shawnee Trophy Co., 1305 North Kickapoo Avenue, (405) 273-0504, Business profile
Video and Home Entertainment Rental
- Hollywood Videos
- Blockbuster Home Videos
- Rave Review
Like most towns of any size in Oklahoma, Shawnee is inundated with most of the fast food restaurants you can think of and also has many all-you-can-eat buffets (mostly Chinese food).
Most places to eat are located either on the northern edge of town along interstate highway I-40, sprinkled along Harrison and Kickapoo Street, or downtown on the south side of Shawnee.
You cannot go very far in Shawnee without running into a Sonic Drive-In of which there are 4, Braum's hamburgers and ice-cream (3), McDonald's (3), Arby's roast beef (2), Pizza Hut (2), or a Taco Bell (2).
Shawnee is home to what has been labled as "Sonic number 3000". This label is up for debate however, as some state that it was not the 3000th Sonic drive-in to be erected.
Shawnee also has many pizza kitchens, although many of these are carry-out/delivery only.
Fast Food Restaurants/Drive-In's
- Brown Derby Drive-In
- Charlie's Chicken (Note: known to go out of business and re-open frequently)
- Kountry Fried Chicken & Catfish
- Mazzio's Pizza
- Taco Bueno
- Taco Mayo
- Taco Tico
- China Buffet
- Golden Corral
- King Buffet (Chinese)
- Sunrise Chinese Buffet & Mongolian BBQ
- Thai Star
Sit Down Restaurants
- Abuelita Rosa’s Mexican
- Abuelita’s (Mexican)
- Amigo’s (Mexican)
- Chicago Street Deli (Note: open for lunch only)
- Cracker Barrel Old Country Store and Restaurant
- Delta Café
- Fratelli’s (Italian)
- Garfield’s Restaurant & Pub
- Hamburger King
- IHOP (Internationaly House of Pancakes) (Open 24 hours)
- Kim’s Place (Korean)
- Rainbow Inn (Open 24 hours)
- Red Lobster
- Rob’s Smokehouse (nee "Robb's Ribber")
- Santa Fe Steak House
- Shawnee Sandwhich Shop
- Van’s Pig Stand (2)
- Domino’s (Pizza), 1438 North Harrison, (405) 878-0880, Business profile
- Kim's Place (Korean, can also dine in), 916 East Main Street, (405) 275-4005
- Kmart - Little Caesars Pizza Station, 2323 North Harrison, (405) 275-5022, Business profile
- Little Caesar’s (Pizza), 1510 North Kickapoo Avenue, (405) 275-7771, Business profile
- Mazzio’s (Pizza) Business profile
- Papa John’s (Pizza)
- Pizza Hut (2), 2206 North Kickapoo (405) 273-0650, 1718 North Harrison (405) 275-4115, Business profile
Food Court at Shawnee Mall
- Gyro's (Greek)
- Sbarro's (Italian), 4901 North Kickapoo Avenue Suite 1214, (405) 273-1913, Business profile
Donut and Breakfast Pastries
- The Veranda, 2033 North Kickapoo, (405) 395-0100
- Wonder(TM) Hostess(c) Bakery Outlet, 1924 North Kickapoo, (405) 395-9816
Liquor Stores and Wholesalers
- Chili's, 512 Shawnee Mall Drive, (405) 395-9070, Business profile (Chili's restaurant)
- Cinderella Motel: Dietrich's Club (Friday night karaoke), 623 Kickapoo Spur, (405) 273-7010
- POTT County Liar's Club, 523 South Chapman, (405) 275-0222
- Queen of Hearts, 12512 Valley View Road, (405) 273-0499, Business profile
- Watering Hole Saloon, 1530 North Harrison Street, (405) 878-9557
- America's Best Quality Inn, Highway I40 Highway 18, (405) 275-4404
- American Colony
- Cinderella Motel (Best Western), (405) 275-4404, (405) 273-7010, (800) 480-5111 (toll-free), Business profile
- Colonial Inn (Free HBO), 4700 North Harrison, (405) 878-0120, Business profile
- Fleetwood Motel, 1301 North Harrison, (405) 273-7561, Business profile
- Hampton Inn, (Only one hotel, but two address listings) 101 West Interstate Parkway, 4851 North Kickapoo, (405) 275-1540, Business profile, Make hotel reservation
- Kicapoo Motel (Rent available on weekly basis), 901 North Kickapoo, (405) 273-1929, Business profile
- Motel 6 (Self-description:Motel 6 in Shawnee offers a relaxing pool, free HBO, and outstanding service. Kids under 18 always stay free.), 4981 North Harrison Street, (405) 275-5310, Business profile, Email
- Shawnee Motel (Demolished 2004)
- Super 8 Motel, I-40 & Highway 18 Exit, (405) 275-0089, Business profile, Make hotel reservation
Shawnee's surrounding area can offer almost as much to see as the city itself, if one knows where to look:
- Cowtown USA, bar and dance hall with country/western theme, a little outside of town on Hwy 177 South, (405) 275-0108, Business profile
- Jim Thorpe's burial site located between Shawnee and nearby Prague (Oklahoma).
- Fireworks stands Just outside city limits in almost every direction,(Usually open around the Fourth of July)
- Buddhist Temple located approximately 20 miles outside Shawnee off I-40, an extreme rarity in the Oklahoma area
- Curtis Watson's Restaraunt can be found off of I-40 between Shawnee and Oklahoma City.
- Top Hat The original restaurant that is now know as Sonic America's Drive-in.
- Big Foot, rumoured to rummage in residents' backyards.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!