Pudong (浦东 Pǔdōng) is Shanghai's newest district on the eastern side of the Huangpu River, a Special Economic Zone chock full of gleaming skyscrapers rising out of what was mere farmland only 15 years ago.
Metro Line 2's Lujiazui Station is in the middle of central Pudong, within easy walking distance to both the Pearl Tower and the Jin Mao Tower. The Century Avenue Metro Station is a major interchange. Lines 2, 4 and 9 all come there from various parts of Puxi, and Line 6 which runs North-South through Pudong comes there as well. Lines 7, 8 and 13 also cross the river and provide Puxi/Pudong connections, but they run to less central southern areas of the district.
The Maglev, extremely fast (Top speed 430 kph/270 mph) magnetic levitation train from Pudong Airport connects to Longyang Rd Station on Metro Line 2. It finishes running at about 9.30PM. Line 2 also runs to Pudong airport until 9PM.
Expect to pay around ¥150 by taxi from the airport.
The cheapest way to get to Pudong from Puxi is to take the ferry from the Bund, near Yan'an Donglu, at the price of ¥2.
A much more expensive way of crossing is the Bund Sightseeing Tunnel (north of the Peace Hotel), basically an overpriced 647 m underground travellator featuring several minutes of blinking lights at ¥45 a pop. (This "ride" lacks creativity or exhilaration, but toddlers who like to move at slow speeds and witness a few harmless props might enjoy it.)
Yan'an Tunnel is the main road in and out of the district for cars. Expect a long line of cars throughout rush hours (also 5PM-9PM on weekends) where you can get stuck up to 30 min. If you need to cross by taxi at these hours, try to talk your driver into using Renmin Lu Tunnel further south.
There is no bridge for pedestrians to cross, so if coming from the west side of the Huangpu River, your options are metro, taxi, ferry, sightseeing tunnel or bus.
- Oriental Pearl TV Tower (东方明珠塔; Dōngfāng Míngzhū Tǎ), Century Ave, . Built in 1994, it is the 3rd tallest tower in the world. Featuring 11 garish pink balls enlightened by the famous Chinese poem (大珠小珠落玉盘Da Zhu Xiao Zhu Luo Yu Pan which describes the most beautiful sound when the pearls of different size fall on to a jade plate), the tower has become a symbol of the new Shanghai. You can literally step into Shanghai's skies on the the glass floor of outdoor viewing platform of the 2nd ball at 259 m. Walk on a transparent path high above Pudong and the Huangpu River, probably one of the most thrilling adventures of the city, and also an unexpected one: Your elevator will first arrive one floor above the glass floor, a rather conventional observation platform - descend one floor to get to the thrill. The entry to this level will set you back ¥100. The top ball (350 m) costs more. Space City at 90 m can be missed, but Shanghi History Museum offers a glimpse into the past of the city. ¥85-150.
Pudong Skyline. The Pearl TV Tower radiating its brilliance
- Shanghai Municipal Museum, (Underneath Pearl Tower). The museum recreates interiors of houses and shops from the farming era up to the swinging 1930s, has many miniatures of Shanghai's most impressive (colonial) buildings, and also displays vintage cars, old advertisements, and so on. Although light on actual historical information, its definitely worth a visit, and surprisingly big. (No access to tower view decks.) ¥35.
- Jinmao Tower (金茂大厦; Jīnmào Dàshà), Century Ave, . China's third tallest skyscraper stands just beside Oriental Pearl TV Tower. The tower houses the Grand Hyatt Shanghai and features a 31-story atrium that starts in the jazz lounge on the 57th story and rises up like a space station. An Italian restaurant Cucina, on the 55th floor offers spectacular views of the Bund and the rest of old Shanghai. For about the same cost as going up in the Pearl Tower, you can enjoy a gourmet pizza lunch and savor virtually the same view. There is also a restaurant on the 88th floor, which is the top floor and China's second highest visitor platform. Alternatively, head for one of the Grand Hyatt's many bars (see Drink). ¥50, ¥25 student.
- Shanghai Ocean Aquarium (上海海洋水族馆网站-首页), 1388 Lujiazui Ring Rd (Metro Line 2 Lujiazui Stn, exit 1, walk towards Pearl TV Tower and look right), . 9AM-6PM (9PM in summer). This is an entertaining and up to standards exhibition over two floors, including a system of glass tunnels that lets you get up close and personal with sharks. ¥120, with some discounts for children.
- Century Park, (Metro Line 2 Century Park Stn). This is Shanghai's biggest park. Unfortunately, there is a lot of concrete and paved roads and many areas have vegetation that is still under development or badly upkept. Still a good and relaxing get-away. Bike rental available (expensive, from ¥40 per hour). ¥10.
- Shanghai Science and Technology Museum (上海科技馆), (Metro Line 2 Science and Tech Museum Stn). Focuses on Western Science. Entertaining and educational for children. The buiding itself is quite impressive
- Shanghai World Financial Centre Tower (SWFC), 100 Century Ave (next to Jinmao Tower), ☎ +86 21-68777878, . Opened in 2008 and is Shanghai's tallest building. If you exclude spires and flagpoles, then it contended for the tallest building in the world, at least for a few months. There are 3 viewing levels on floors 94, 97 and 100. The observation level allows you to look down on the tall neighboring Jinmao and Oriental Pearl Towers. However, a better view of the river and the Bund can be obtained from the lower sphere of the Oriental Pearl than form the SWFC. An alternative to the 100F observation deck is to go to one of the hotel bars or restaurants on or near 98F. ¥150.
- International Convention Center. Various events.
- New Xiang Yang Market (新襄阳路市场), Metro Line 2 Science and Tech Stn. 9AM-9PM. There have been many queries on where to get some good fake stuff in Shanghai. Also known as AP Plaza, it is located at the Shanghai Science and Technology station on line 2. When you get out of the Metro just look around and you will see different entry points. It is a pretty big underground market and has many areas such as Area A, Area B, etc. They have the usual stuff including fakes of all brands. (31.218399,121.541995)
- Super Brand Mall (正大广场; Zheng dà Guǎngchǎng), (few hundred m from Line 2's Lujiazui Stn). Lots of stores and restaurants, including UNIQLO, Toys 'R' Us, and Dintaifung (鼎太丰) (rated one of the world's best 10 restaurants by the New York Times).
- Decathlon (Huamu Store), 393 Yinxiao Road, ☎ +86 21-50453888. Su-Th 9AM-9PM, F Sa 9AM-10PM. French outdoor equipment retailer. Offers cheap, high quality outdoor clothing, backpacks, sports equipment, gym equipment and bicycles in Western sizes. Metro: Lines 2 & 7 Longyang Lu station. Another less convenient location at Jinqiao (no metro).
- Canton, (in the Intercontinental Hotel). For authentic dim sum and many other Cantonese specialties that make this a truly unique Chinese culinary experience.
- Danieli's, St. Regis, 889 Dongfang Lu, ☎ +86 21-50504567. For one of the finest Italian restaurant, this place succeeds in offering customers, fresh, seasonal home made dishes. The five course set menu is excellent value, while the wines can be pricey. Staff are perfectly groomed and attentive to customers.
- The Grill, Grand Hyatt, 88 Shiji Dadao, ☎ +86 21-50491234. Feast on a fresh, tasty seafood platter or dig in to tender American style steak at this restaurant, which features panoramic views from the 56th floor.
- Jatujak, Xinmei Union Towers, S Pudong Rd. Authentic Thai restaurant serving mouth watering dishes in a fantastic atmosphere.
- Julie's Bistro (Julie's Food Experience), 100 Century Ave (World Financial Center, 2F), ☎ +86 21 68779198, . 8AM-11PM. Claims to be authentic Canadian food but fails to use cheese curds on poutine. Serves breakfast, steak dinner, large wine selection. A bit pricey for what you get.
- Cloud 9, (Jin Mao Tower 87F, in Grand Hyatt Hotel), ☎ +86 21-50491234 ext 8787. The highest you can legally get in Shanghai, with excellent nighttime views of Shanghai (particularly if you get a seat facing Puxi). But the views come at a steep price for non-guests, who are charged ¥110 + 15% minimum per head — about the price of a drink and half a cigar. (A cheaper alternative is simply to go to the lobby (54F) and enjoy the view there. Or you can go to the lobby cafe where soda is ¥45. The power to the buildings in Puxi is turned off at 11PM, which is an optimal time to be present.)
Hotels in Pudong cater mostly to the business traveller.
- Eastern Stars Garden Scenery Hotel (东航之星田园风光酒店), 上海浦东川沙新镇华洲路16号 (S1 华州东路出口), ☎ +86-21-3393-5366. checkin: 12; checkout: 12. 10 minutes car ride to pudong airport. nothing within walking distance except a KTV next store and a massage service on the 4th floor. 198.
- Belgravia Serviced Residence, 29 Xiangcheng Rd Bldg C, ☎ +86 21-58201138, . Offers 126 suites, all of which have air-conditioner, cable TV, DVD player, and free wireless Internet. Some of its amenities include sports and fitness (aerobics room, gym, health club, swimming pool, tennis court), sauna and steam room, room service, 24-hour front desk and security, laundry service, babysitting, concierge, turndown service, and wake-up call. Best rates on official website start at ¥588.
- Blue Horizon International Hotel Shanghai, No. 2991, Gaoke Road(w), Pudong New Area, ☎ (86-021) 5061 9999, . Blue Horizon International Hotel Shanghai provides business superior room, business deluxe room, business suite, executive deluxe room, executive double suite and executive suite with broadband internet access, TV with satellite channels and refrigerator. Its facilities and services include restaurant, high-speed internet access, 24-hour room service, laundry and dry cleaning.
- Citadines Biyun Shanghai (上海馨乐庭碧云服务公寓), Lane 450 Hongfeng Road, Jinqiao Export Processing Zone, Pudong, ☎ +86 21 3860-2288 ([email protected], fax: +86 21 3860-2000), . The residence, in the heart of Biyun International Community, offers apartments ranging from studio to three-bedrooms duplex apartments, with broadband internet, home entertainment system with cable TV and a kitchen. Daily rates starts from ¥650.
- Rhea Boutique Hotel - Jinqiao, No.1388, Jinqiao Road, ☎ 86-21-5070 8666, . Offers well-furnished accommodations all equipped with air-conditioning, TV with cable channels, Internet connection, refrigerator, mini-bar, coffee/tea maker, and many more. In keeping up with their quest for excellence, they only present you top-rated selections and efficient services such as business center, meeting facilities, executive lounge, airport shuttle, spa, concierge, and laundry/dry cleaning service. Rates on official website start at CNY 409.
- Rhea Lakeview Hotel, No.1609,Luoshan Road, ☎ 86-21-60753388, . Offers elegantly designed accommodation rooms that is equipped with air-conditioning, TV with cable channels, Internet access, and more. They offer a wide range of facilities and services such as spa, restaurant, executive lounge, and a business center. Rates on official website start at CNY 539.
- Historic 1934 Hotel Shanghai Mansions or Broadway Mansions just over the bridge from the north-end of the Bund, have reasonable rates and great views from the river-view rooms.
- The Eton Hotel Shanghai, 535 Pudong Ave, . 462 rooms fitted with LCD TV, cable, en-suite bath, IDD/DDD telephone, mini-bar, and high-speed Internet. Some of their must try's include Yu Ting Restaurant, which serves Cantonese and other local dishes, The Eton Café, which specializes in Asian, Japanese, and Western dishes, and Chicago Steakhouse that offers Australian steaks and fine wines. ″.
- Shanghai Jinqiao Phoenix Apartment Hotel, No. 18 Huangyang Rd, . This four star hotel has 150 air-conditioned rooms furnished with telephone, cable/ satellite TV, and free high-speed Internet. ″.
- Yahsin Business Hotel, No 6 Lane 375 Shibocun Rd (directions), ☎ +86 21-38424949, . 22 km from Hongqiao Airport and 36 km from Pudong Airport. It offers 115 air-conditioned rooms. From ¥365.
- Aquaspace Shanghai, 99 Puming Rd Yanlord Garden (Lujiazui), ☎ +86 157-10183792 ([email protected], fax: +86 21-58760389), . checkin: 2:00pm; checkout: 12:00pm. A stone toss away from the metro and the Renmin tunnel, this serviced apartment series features a view of the Lujiazui financial spectacle while having access to the vibrant Puxi area. There are also world-class facilities and unique Aquaspace benefits to clients. ¥800-1325. (31.229591719527523,121.50820970535278)
- Grand Hyatt Shanghai, Jin Mao Tower, 88 Century Blvd, ☎ +86 21-50491234 ([email protected], fax: +86 21-50491111), . The hotel starts on 54F and goes up another 33 floors, providing views of Shanghai. Good location for business and Pearl TV Tower. An amusing trivium: this hotel is serviced by the world's longest laundry chute. ¥1400-4000.
- Grand Metropark Jiayou Hotel (上海佳友维景大酒店), 159 New Golden Bridge Rd, ☎ +86 21-51909000 ([email protected], fax: +86 21-51909008), . checkin: noon; checkout: 2PM. This 5-star business hotel has 327 rooms. Leisure facilities include a snooker room, swimming pool, and spa. A large grand ballroom and numerous meeting rooms are also available fir various events. From ¥740.
- Hotel Gran Melia Shanghai, 5F-1 King Tower, 1288 Lujiazui Ring Rd, ☎ +86 21-33820800 ([email protected], fax: +86 21-33820900), .
- Park Hyatt Shanghai, 100 Century Ave (Lujiazui), ☎ +86 21-68881234 ([email protected], fax: +86 21-68883400), . On the 79th to 93rd floors of the Shanghai World Financial Center (SWFC). Rooms feature day bed, walk-in-dressing room, espresso machine and free wireless internet access. Facilities: ‘water’s edge’ Spa, Tai Chi courtyard, indoor lap pool and restaurant on 91F. ¥1500-8500.
- Parkyard Hotel Shanghai, 699 Bibo Rd, Zhangjiang Hi-Tech Park, . This five-star hotel has a line of posh restaurants, spacious function halls, indoor pool, steam bath, gift shop, and massage services. From ¥788.
- Pudong Shangri-La, 33 Fu Cheng Rd, ☎ +86 21-68828888 ([email protected], fax: +86 21-68826688), . For the latest in luxury 2005-style, try Tower 2, where rooms are equipped with every modern gizmo you can think of.
- Ritz-Carlton. Opening late-May.
- Shanghai Eversunshine Hotel, 1436 S Pudong Rd, ☎ +86 21-58778899 (fax: reservations +86 21-58779732, 58779733), . 228 air-conditioned suites. Meeting and conference rooms and a business center offering secretarial services are among the hotel’s corporate facilities. Recreational offerings include a health club, fitness center, and sauna.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!