The French Concession is the area of Shanghai once designated for the French, consisting of today's Luwan and Xuhui Districts. Luwan's Huaihai Road is a busy shopping street and is also home to both Xintiandi and Tian Zi Fang, extremely popular shopping and dining spots for tourists. Xuhui is also ever popular for tourists and is home to Shanghai Stadium. The tree-lined avenues and their many Tudor mansions in the area still retain an air of the "Paris of the East".
Metro Line 1 runs along Huaihai and Hengshan Rds. Most useful stops are probably S. Shaanxi Road station, which is fairly central, and Xujiahui Station, which is one of the biggest Metro stations in Shanghai and connects most, if not all, big shopping malls in the Xujiahui commercial circle and contains an underground market all the way along the station from Hongqiao Rd to Nandan Rd. Line 10 runs west from Laoximen, stopping at Xintiandi, S. Shaanxi Road, Shanghai Library and Jiaotong university. Line 9 serves the south of the district, stopping at Dapuqiao (near Tianzifang) and Xujiahui (see above) along the way.
- Old French Concession Streets, Huaihai Road. Get away from the busy streets and explore the area between Julu Rd (巨鹿路) to the north and Huaihai Rd (淮海路) running through the center, plus Maoming Rd (茂名南路) and surrounding area to the south of Huaihai Rd. Pleasant tree-lined streets and local Shanghainese bustle, combined with a growing number of trendy boutiques and restaurants. Changle Rd (长乐路) and Xinle Rd (新乐路) are rapidly becoming the places to find small designer clothing shops. Interesting architecture built with French and Belgian money and showing mixed Chinese-European styles.
- Sun Yat-sen's Former Residence, 7 Xiangshan Rd, ☎ +86 21 64372954. The house was the Shanghai residence of Sun Yat-sen and his wife Soong Ching Ling from 1918-1937. It was converted into a museum in 1961 and tells the story of the revolutionary father of China's republic. ¥20.
- Zhou Enlai's Former Residence, 73 Sinan Rd, ☎ +86 21 64730420. This was the former Shanghai Office of the Delegation of the Communist Party in China from June 1946. It is now a museum telling the story of the Communist revolution in China and particularly Shanghai. Free.
Former Residence of Soong Ching Ling
- Soong Ching Ling's Former Residence (上海宋庆龄故居), 1843 Huaihai Middle Rd, Xujiahui District. Much state business took place at the residence. Today there's a small museum with many artifacts, largely about the politics of China leading up to the official founding of the P.R.C, and as she was well-versed in English, the items describe some interesting stories to non-Chinese and Chinese alike. The nearby house is two levels and contains many original items and pictures. The grounds are very well maintained and there's a garage with a few formerly state-used cars as well. Gift shop.
- Site of the First National Congress of CPC, 76 Xingye Lu (E side of Xintiandi). A short tour where the Communist Party of the P.R.C. had their first congressional meetings. Free.
- Fuxing Park (复兴公园; Fùxīnggōngyuán), 105 Fuxing Zhong Rd (卢湾区复兴中路105号; Lúwānqū Fùxīngzhōnglù), ☎ +86 21 53861069. 6AM-6PM. This European style park formerly known as French Park is popular park, with gardens, open spaces and restaurants and clubs dotted throughout. Early in the morning, the park is filled with dancers, card and mahjong players, tai chi artists, and singing groups. Free.
Longhua Martyrs' Cemetery, Xuhui District
- Longhua Martyrs' Cemetery (龙华烈士陵园/Lónghuálièshìlíngyuán), 180 Longhua Lu (Metro: Line 11 Longhua Rd station, Line 3 Longcao Rd). The grounds are open from 5:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., while the memorial hall is open from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm. Very few people are buried here, so it's more of a memorial garden and museum but the acreage is beautiful and large, akin to Luxun Park. During the civil war, KMT members executed Communists on these grounds and the cemetery, poetry, fountains, steles, and sculptures commemorate those who were shot. Longhua Cemetary and Temple are located several kilometers south of the Former French Concession, about a half hour walk or a 20 RMB taxi ride from Xujiahui. Free.
Pagoda on the grounds of Longhua Temple
- Longhua Temple (龙华寺/Lónghuásì), No. 2853 Longhua Road (龙华路2853号/Lónghuálù 2853 hào) (next to Longhua Martyrs' Cemetery south gate, Metro: Line 11 Longhua Rd station, Line Line 3 Longcao Road station). 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. One of the city's less-visited temples. Located in front of the entrance to the temple is the Longhua Pagoda. 10 yuan.
- Fuxing Road (复兴路). Walk along Fuxing Rd to see classical old buildings and enjoy the neatness of the road.
- Sylvan streets. Explore the Sylvan streets and admire Shanghai's Art Deco residential architecture, reputedly the world's largest (although not the most well-kept). Most historic buildings have a bronze plaque that details their original use. The area sandwiched between Fuxing and Huaihai Rds is particularly interesting with a sprinkling of tucked-away shops and discreet cafes, a refreshing alternative to the city's generally megalomaniac streetscape.
- Shanghai Gangster Tour, (meets outside exit 3 of Changshu Rd Metro Station), ☎ (0086) 138 1777 0229, . ([email protected]). Explore the French Concession with a colonial gangster guide. Learn about famous gangsters such as “Big Eared” Du with his lucky monkey heads, practice chopstick pickpocketing, learn gambling tricks over drinks at a historical bar, enter a shooting competition. Many other public and private tours available. Public Shanghai Gangster Tour starts from 260rmb per adult.
- C3 Cafe, 700 Huang Pi South Road, Suite 黄陂南路700号 A105室 (Based between Metro Stations Xintendi, Laoximen, Madang. 700 Huang Pi South Road, Building A, back from the street.), ☎ 13916171091, . 11am. C3 Café (Creative Co-working Cafe) is an Event Café built up on shanghai Couchsurfing Community, it is designed to support the events in different areas such as Art, Cultural, Business or Traveling. Events are easy to join and pretty much EVERY night of the week.
- Food Tours, . Two of UnTour Shanghai's top-ranked culinary tours lead guests around the former French Concession. Choose the Street Eats - Breakfast tour for a taste of all that's on offer in the morning around the Xiangyang Park area. The Hands-on Dumpling Delights explores the wide array of dumplings from around China, and includes a one-hour cooking class.
Lots of additions to this district, on a seemingly weekly basis. Check out the entire Xujiahui area and Times Square  (the latter's on Huaihai Rd) for some of the larger malls. Creative boutiques can be found on Julu, Changle, Anfu and Xinle Roads throughout the French Concession, in addition to a high concentration of one-of-a-kind buys for sale in Tian Zi Fang northwest of the Luwan Stadium.
If you are looking for anything electronic, Xujiahui is the place to start. Pacific Digital Plaza Phase 2 is the place to start, conveniently connected to exit number 10 of the Metro station. There are more electronics markets nearby, such as Pacific Digital Plaza Phase 1 and Buynow. Popular game consoles are abundantly available as are computers, MP3 players, memory cards, and computer accessories.
The Metro station exits at the intersection of five roads. There is at least one shopping mall on each of the five corners. Grand Gateway is the most upscale of them, and also the best-air conditioned in the summertime. The 5th and 6th floors of Grand Gateway offer a good selection of restaurants.
Ruijin Second Road is a tree-lined boulevard in the heart of the French Concession, where you can experience the real Shanghai longtang (a narrow alley from house to house, which is a distinctive Shanghai architecture style). Don't forget to walk down Taikang Lu into Tian Zi Fang and burrow your way into the in process gentrification of the back alleys here. Old men air their magpies in spotless, tiny cages next to top flight restaurants and cafes. Shanghai T is a great place to buy a high quality T-shirt with a smart logo, "What recession?" Tian Zi Fang's renovation is still evolving and interesting shops and restaurants are opening and closing every day. The trendy stores exist side by side with the rhythms of "old school" Shanghai life -- and any time you can catch a glimpse of that, you should feel lucky.
Xintiandi  has both a mall and several small stores woven through the maze of reconditioned shikumen. Xintiandi is within the French Concession, but considered a sanitized, touristy and upscale "Disneyland" version of the original old neighborhoods it displaced. "Xintiandi" is supposed to expand and similarly transform a huge swatch of the French Concession later this decade.
- Diva Life Nail & Beauty Lounge, Ruijin Er Lu (Near Jianguoxi). A 2,700 ft² house, mixed with Chinese and European style, is located on Ruijin Er Rd. Established in 1933, this three story complex was once the home of the Jewish wine merchant H.L. Menken.
- eno, 139-23 Changle Rd (Between Ruijin and Chengdu Rds), . Two storey shop featuring t-shirts, sweatshirts, bags and shoes designed in conjunction with China's hottest up and coming artists. Also has a cafe with Illy coffee.
- Ferguson Lane, (In a narrow alley off Wukang Rd). A '30s building filled with restaurants and boutique shops.
- Garden Books, (Near junction of Changle and Shanxi S Rds), . Good selection of Chinese travel guides, as well as aromatic coffee and flavorful ice cream. Their monthly bric-a-brac sales are a popular local social event.
- William the BeeKeeper, (84 Fenyang and Fuxing Rd), . Vintage inspired clothing and hand-made accessories from local designers.
- Mme Mao's Dowry, Fu Min Lu. Cultural Revolution nostalgia. Prices are stiff.
- Silk qipao shops. A row of shops along Chang Le Lu, between Mao Ming Lu and Shan Xi Nan Lu specializes in silk Qi Paos (traditional Shanghai-style silk dresses), which can be made to measure. The shops are especially popular with Japanese visitors staying at the nearby Okura Garden Hotel.
- Spin Ceramics, 360 Kangding Rd (at the corner of N. Shaanxi Rd). Designer ceramics by Chinese artists but with a Japanese flavor, in a stylish minimalist space.
- Torana House, (164 Anfu Rd (just west of Wulumuqi Rd)). Has Tibetan and Chinese carpets and Tibetan furniture in a contemporary gallery.
- Pottery Workshop Shanghai, 176 Fumin Lu (Between Julu Lu and Changle Lu), ☎ (8621) 5403 1366, . 9am-5pm. Second location for this shop. 50-5000 RMB.
Other nearby areas:
- Posh Shopping, (Along Maoming S Rd, by Jin Jiang Hotel). Designer shops and art galleries. Do not forget your platinum credit card.
- Xujiahui. If you're looking for anything electronic, Xujiahui is the place to start. Pacific Digital Plaza is a huge electronics mall in two parts. Phase 2 (exit 10 of the Metro station) is more oriented to the end-user market; for things like custom-built computers or parts for do-it-yourself, try the upper floors of Phase 1 (exit 9). There are several other electronics vendors in the area, including a Buynow (exit 10 or 14 and look up by the footbridge).
- Vegetarian Lifestyle, 77 Song Shan Rd (In an alleyway just S of Huaihai Rd), ☎ +86 21-6384-8000. until 10PM daily. A beautifully appointed modern restaurant where everything is vegetarian. You will not find much in the way of fake meat that pervades most of the other vegetarian places. Instead, you will enjoy beautifully cooked dishes from all over the country in addition to a juice bar. Beer ¥30, ¥18 lunch special.
- Spicy Joint, 3/F, K. Wah Center, 1028 Huaihai Zhong Rd, near Donghu Rd (淮海中路1028号, 嘉华中心嘉华坊3楼, 近东湖路), ☎ 6470 2777. Ridiculously popular for their cheap stylized Sichuan food, in a young and fashionable environment. The waits for a table are notorious. ¥8-30.
- Q Italian & Wine, No.30 Sinan Rd. Near Middle Huaihai Rd. (上海市思南路 30号 近淮海中路.), ☎ 216093 2867, . 11AM-11PM. Q Italian & Wine is place for casual Italian & Wine and Art in Shanghai. Serve LUNCH SET(from 48 RMB) / AFTERNOON TEA / DINNER... and ART. ¥28-60.
- Amokka, Anfu Rd (W of Wulumuqi Road). Coffee bar and restaurant good for lunch stops.
- Di Shui Dong (滴水洞), 56 Maoming Rd (Near Changle Rd, Metro: Shaanxi S Rd), ☎ +86 21-62532689. Fiery cuisine from Hunan, the birthplace of Mao Zedong, thus a menu full of "Mao's Shrimp", "Mao's Chicken" and such. Very popular with foreigners.
- Enoteca, Anfu Rd. Excellent wine bar specializing in Argentinean and South African wines. Food is fairly basic with cheese and meat plates and salads, but the wine is outstanding.
- Foodrepublic Food Court, (Sixth floor of MetroCity). Food court of sorts housing many different restaurants. They do not accept cash (most of them, the restaurants that have their own seating area separate take both cash and cards), so you will have to add money to and put down a deposit for a stored-value card specific to the other Foodrepublics. You can see plastic models of all the dishes before you order them, so you will have a decent idea of what you are getting. Copious MSG (avoidable depending on what you're after; the CoCo Ichibanya is safe in this regard) but delicious food.
- Hailaogui (海老亀; Hǎilǎogūi), 41 Yandang Rd (雁蕩路41号). Cafe specialising in sweet Chinese desserts claimed to have all sorts of beneficial effects for your health, particularly dishes made with turtle. No English menu. Milk pudding with ginger is ¥10.
- Secret Garden, Changle Rd (A short distance west from Garden Books). Serving Cantonese food in pleasant surroundings. The veranda-like space near to Secret Garden has been home to a succession of restaurants, the latest incarnation being a Greek restaurant.
- Shanghai Uncle, 211 Tianyaoqiao Rd, ☎ +86 21-64646430. A famous chain of three restaurants known for Shanghai flair with some Western accents. Known for their spare ribs, smoked fish and fatty pork with garlic.
- Uighur Restaurant (维吾尔餐厅), 280 Yi Shan Rd., ☎ +86 21-62550843. Claims to be the "original" Xinjiang cuisine restaurant in the city, and probably the best-known. The typical main dishes are moderately spicy preparations of lamb, but the menu also features some rather adventurous items like camel feet, sheep's eyeballs, and a bull's you-know-what. Also music and dance shows with the obligatory audience participation.
- Casanova, far western end of Julu Rd. Very competent Italian fare.
- Le Saleya, 长乐路570号 (Between Xiangyang Rd and Shaanxi S Rd), ☎ +86 21-54036957. Not open between 1:00pm and 6:00pm. Neighborhood French Restaurant. Unpretentious and you can close your eyes and imagine you are on the Ile de la Cite. Prix fixe menu is 220元 per person.
- Mesa, Julu Rd (W of Xiangyang Rd junction). Excellent and flavorful Western and fusion food accented by a fine wine list. The stunning view from the balcony is at its best in the spring and fall. Quite pricey.
- Otto, 85 Fumin Rd. A sophisticated Italian restaurant and wine bar.
- Shintori, Julu Road. Japanese design restaurant with stunning features. Serving traditional and fusion cuisine.
Many bars, nightclubs and wine bars in and along Julu, Yongfu, Huaihai, and Hengshan Rds, and a handful of bars interspersed throughout Xintiandi and Tian Zi Fang.
- Jenny's Blue Bar, 7 Donghu Rd (Metro: Shanxi Rd S), ☎ +86 21-64157019, . A friendly bar, run by Jenny in its present location since 2000. A wide choice of drinks, good music and sports coverage mean that it is popular both with expats and with visitors. Look out for the two cats that make themselves at home behind the bar, frequently sleeping on top of the television or the display units.
- Judy's Too, 176 Maoming S Rd (Metro: Shaanxi Nan Lu), ☎ +86 21-64731417. 6PM, but the party does not really get started untill at least 10PM. A somewhat cheesy but fun favorite among expats. Locals dance it up here too, but mostly before 11PM. Some feel this place offers all that is bad about older Western men and younger Eastern girls in Asia, at times there is some pretty unpleasant scenes, unfortunately. Free.
- Stormy Cafe Bar, 229 Ln Danshui Rd, ☎ +86 021-63743576. Expect a warm welcome from Biru, Stormy's dog, and Killer, the resident rabbit, before you sink into a soft chair and get absorbed in the eclectic music selection or plethora of games at this cafe. Their small menu offers Japanese curry, toasted sandwiches as well as coffee, cocktails and beer. ¥20-40.
- Muse Two, 上海市淮海中路283号香港广场4F, ☎ 021-62886222. huge 2 storey night club. This is the place to be on thursdays. 50 a beer.
- De Refter, 181 JinXian Lu (Near Maoming Lu). Located on an up and coming French Concession street. One place in Shanghai with an extensive Belgian Beer list, following the legendary Kaiba, but more expensive. The food is pretty good too.
- The Geisha, 390 Shaanxi Lu (near Fuxing Lu), ☎ +86 21 6403 0244. 5pm-late. The newest venture from Shanghai nightlife staple Collective Concepts, The Geisha is a Japanese restaurant, sake lounge, and boutique Vegas styled club featuring craft cocktails and international DJ's. starting price ¥45.
- The Apartment, 47 Yongfu Rd (near Fuxing Rd), ☎ +86 21 6437 9478, . Modeled on a New York loft-style lounge, The Apartment is a stylish but relaxed lounge space split into three rooms -- two large areas with DJ's and a smaller dining room with a few tables. Great place to have drinks and dinner. Starting price ¥45.
- Real Shanghai Bar, 429 Yanan West Rd (near Zhenning Rd), ☎ +86 1381 758 5590, . Styled as what many would describe as an Irish Pub, this bar gives you that authentic living room feeling, it's a small and cozy place and the bartenders always warmheartedly welcome you when you enter. Great place to have drinks and they can offer decent food (from a nearby restaurant) too. Starting price ¥25.
- Asset Hotel Shanghai, 590 S Wanping Rd, Xuhui District, . The hotel is located close to well-known places such as Xujiahui and Zhaojiabang Rd. All rooms are air conditioned and have their own private bathroom. Services include 24-hour front desk and room services, and free shuttle bus is offered to guests who want to explore the rest of the district. It is not in the French Concession, but only a few blocks south of it.
- Shanghai Bin Guan (上海宾馆), 柳州路2号 (Across the Street from shanghai south station), ☎ 54488899. If you took a bus to shanghai south station, this is a decent hotel within walking distance, you have to go through the underpass. have massage in your room if you want. It is very far South of the French Concession: two subway stops or 30RMB taxi from Xujiahui. 200-300.
- Anting Villa Hotel, 46 Anting Rd, Xuhui District, ☎ +86 21 6433 1188, . Offers guestrooms equipped with air-conditioning, cable television (with lots of English channels), and an IDD phone. It is a must-try to dine in at their very own Maple Leaves Restaurant, that serves Shanghainese and Cantonese cuisines all day. It is in a beautiful, sleepy Concession neighborhood, down the road from the popular bar Cotton's, and close to subway lines 1, 7 and 9. Hotel Design also sees it used for many special occasions such as weddings in its Gardens. $65 - $75 AUD.
- Hua Ting Hotel , 1200 N Caoxi Rd. A 5-star hotel, is also not far away, you may take Metro Line 1 for one stop and get off at Shanghai Stadium, the hotel is close to the metro station. It is not in the French Concession, but one stop or 20RMB by taxi away.
- Jianguo Hotel, 439 Caoxi Rd, Xuhui District, ☎ +86 21-64399299, . Offers 454 air-conditioned guestrooms, all of which have high-speed Internet, color TV, mini-bar, and room safe. Some of its amenities include fitness center/gym, sauna, and an indoor pool. Restaurants include the CTC Restaurant that is known for its shark's fin, abalone, and other upscale Chinese delicacies; Shanghai Restaurant that serves authentic Shanghai dishes during lunch and dinner; and Yuliu Restaurant that serves Korean fare. It is in Xujiahui but several blocks south of the actual former Concession. Best rates on official website start at ¥581.
- Jin Jiang Tian Cheng Hotel, 585 Xujiahui Rd, The East Building, Jin Yu Lan Sq. Four-star business hotel with 148 guestrooms. Business and event facilities include a business center and event and conference venues of varying sizes. Leisure offerings include indoor swimming pool, disco and karaoke center. It is just south of the French Concession.
- Patina Court, No.68 Luban Road,Luwan District, ☎ 8621- 63018888, . All rooms equipped with Air-conditioning, cable TV and internet connection. Some of its facilities and services are Swimming pool, sauna, massage service, Room service, bar, cafe, Meeting facilities and business center. Best rates on official website start at CNY 998.
- San Want Hotel, 650 Yishan Rd, Xuhui District, ☎ +86 21 61451111, . Four-star hotel with 383 rooms with LCD TV, Japanese-style bathtub, refrigerator, and high-speed Internet access. Conference rooms, banquet hall and business center available. It is to the far southwest of the French Concession. ″.
- Shanghai New-Westlake Hotel, No 22, Lane 133, Mao Ming Rd S, Luwan District, ☎ +86 21-54655888, . Offers 20 rooms with cable TV, free broadband Internet access, and a room safe. Best rates on official website start at ¥553.
- Somerset Xu Hui Shanghai (上海徐汇盛捷服务公寓), No 888 Shaanxi Nan Road, Xu Hui district, ☎ +86 21 6466-0888 ([email protected], fax: +86 21 6466-4646), . Each of the 167 spacious residences at Somerset Xu Hui is furnished with fully-equipped kitchens, home entertainment system and broadband Internet access. Daily rates starts from ¥900.
- Sports Hotel, No 15 Nandan Rd, Xuhui District, ☎ +86 21 64382222, . Four-stars. Outside the hotel are nearby tourist spots such as Shanghai Museum, People’s Square, and Yu Garden. Their guestrooms are equipped with air conditioning, a 25-inch cable TV, and electronic door locks. Some of their offered facilities includes an indoor swimming pool, gymnasium, sauna, and function and business rooms. It is one subway stop or 20RMB taxi south of Xujiahui. Best rates on official website start at ¥553+.
- Ascott Huai Hai Road Shanghai (上海雅诗阁淮海路服务公寓), No 282, Huaihai Road Central, Luwan district, ☎ +86 021 2329-8888 ([email protected], fax: +86 021 2329-8999), . The serviced residence is located in the Luwan District and a short walk away from the famous Xintiandi. Ascott Huai Hai Road Shanghai offers studio, one-bedroom and two-bedroom apartments, each with its own kitchen, home entertainment system and modern furnishings. Daily rates starts from ¥1200.
- Garden Avenue Hotel, 689 Old Humin Rd, Xuhui District, . 5-star business hotel nowhere near Shanghai’s central business district. It has 218 rooms, fully-equipped banquet halls, and dining and recreational facilities. It is next to the South Railway Station and 30 RMB taxi to away from Xujiahui.
- Hengshan Moller Villa, No 30 Shanxi Rd S Jing. Housed in a stunning piece of 1936 architecture. Rooms are frequently booked out so be sure to try and get one of the main rooms which contain wood panelling or business rooms that are much larger and come with a huge balcony that overlooks the garden.
- Hengshan Picardie Hotel, 534 Hengshan Road, Xuhui District, ☎ +86 21-61226688 (fax: +86 21-64333443), . A classic Art Deco-inspired hotel in the heart of French Concession. The hotel offers 254 rooms and dining and leisure facilities. Business amenities include a fully-equipped business center and venues such as Kaixuan Palace and Blossom Hall.
- Hilton Shanghai, 250 Huashan Lu, ☎ +86 21-6248-0000 (fax: + 86 21-62483868), . checkin: 2PM; checkout: noon. While still popular with business travelers for its recognizable name, the Hilton Shanghai has lost some of its luster, although its still considered a top end hotel in this area. Rooms are spacious and modern, and the staff are friendly, but the Hilton needs to step up its game.
- Jin Jiang Hotel, Luwan District, ☎ +86-21-32189888, . Offers 434 luxurious rooms, all of which have individually controlled air-conditioning, mini-bar, color TV with cable channels, DVD player, and refrigerator. Some of its amenities include fitness center, beauty salon, spa, sauna, and massage service. Best rates on official website start at ¥1,280.
- Jin Jiang Tower, 161 Changle Rd, Luwan District, ☎ + 86 21-64151188 ([email protected], fax: +86 21-64150048, +86 21-61226683 reservations), . Five star hotel on Changle Road. ¥1,025.
- Lanson Place Jinlin Tiandi Residences Shanghai, No 3, Lane 168 Xingye Rd, Luwan District, Shanghai 200020, China, ☎ +86 21 2306 1888, . Offers 3-bedroom residences with engaging views, either over the alleyways of the Xintiandi quarter or a tranquil lake. All apartments are equipped with air-conditioning, cable TV, fully equipped kitchen, and Internet connection. Some of its amenities include a home theater system, sauna and steam rooms, and a fully equipped gymnasium. Best rates on official website start at CNY 2200.
- Mason Hotel, 935 Central Huaihai Rd, Luwan, French Concession, ☎ +86 21-64662020. This boutique hotel is cozy and comfortable and great for quiet nights sleep. All rooms have internet access and there's a 2nd floor lounge, a rooftop beer garden, a variety of restaurants and a Starbucks on the ground floor.
- Okura Garden Hotel, 58 Maoming Rd S, Luwan District, ☎ +86 21-64151111 ([email protected], fax: +86 21-64158866), . checkin: 2PM; checkout: noon. 5-star hotel built around the former French Club and its garden from 1926. Many art-deco decorations from that time are still visible in the hotel, especially in the Ball Room. Very central location along Huai Hai Road, with good accessibility and a subway stop (South Shaanxi Road, Line 1) next to the hotel grounds.
- Old House Inn, No 16, Lane 351, Huashan Rd, ☎ +86 21-62486118. With only a dozen rooms, its advisable to book ahead to secure one of these charming rooms, furnished in traditional Chinese style. All rooms have internet access and breakfast, which is included, is served in an outdoor courtyard.
- Royal Court Hotel Shanghai, Lane 622, 7 Middle Huaihai Rd, Luwan District, . A five star business hotel. Air-conditioned rooms, conference halls, restaurant and bar, gym and sauna. Easily accessible from S Shanxi Rd Stn and Nanjing Rd.
- Rui Jin Guesthouse (上海瑞金宾馆), 118 Rui Jin 2 Rd, . Villa style hotel with picturesque surroundings. All of the villas here, 5 in total, are designed in French style, some harking back to the start of the 20th Century. The main building is particularly nice with a grand colonial vista. The hotel is situated in a park-like compound with small bridges, ponds, pavilions and marble fountains.
- Shanghai New-Westlake Hotel, Mao Ming South Road, Luwan District, . It is 5 km from the railway station. It offers 20 air-conditioned rooms, all of which have cable TV, a private toilet, and room safe.
- Skyway Hotel Shanghai, 15 Dapu Rd, Luwan District, . 5-star hotel with 653 rooms. Ballrooms, conference halls and a business center, plus a host of in-house restaurants, a swimming pool, spa, gym, and health club. It is just south of, not in, the French Concession, but still close to Tianzifang.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!