Seminyak is a beach on the west coast of southern Bali, just north of Kuta.
Seminyak is the most upmarket of the west coast's beaches, with high-end accommodation and mostly high-end restaurants and bars to serve its residents. The atmosphere is more rural and laid-back than Kuta, and the beach in particular is much quieter during the day, although this area too is developing fast.
The northern end of Seminyak's Petitenget Beach is administratively a part of Kerobokan, although the actual village of this name is some four kilometers further inland.
Taxis are plentiful. Coupon taxis from the airport to Seminyak cost a fixed Rp60000, while a metered trip in the other direction is around Rp50,000. Trips to/from Kuta cost around Rp30,000.
- Petitenget Beach. A gorgeous expanse of black sand stretching in both directions as far as the eye can see. The sunsets here are famous.
- Pura Petitenget, Jl Petitenget (near beach). A compact but pretty Balinese temple.
Petitenget Beach is a white sand beach.
- Café Tahu, Jl Petitenget. Popular with locals, this restaurant has raised seating around a central courtyard and offers up a menu of tofu, tofu and more tofu, cooked Indonesian style (read: peanut sauce), for about Rp6000/dish. The tofu is all made on premises and you can even buy a pack to take home. Concessions to meat-eaters include sate and grilled chicken.
- Bebek Bali, Jl. Petitenget 108, +62-361-745-4640, . The name means "Balinese duck", and in case that doesn't tip you off as to their speciality, everything from napkins to beer coasters inside the lush, ornamented restaurant is duck-shaped. Duck is served in seven ways, including the tasty Balinese bebek batutu flavored with herbal paste. Post-bird flu, however, they also have a (rather less successful) sideline in seafood. Set meals from Rp55,000.
- Mano Beach Side Café, Seminyak Beach (opp Pura Petitenget). True to the name, this is a simple but stylish blue building by the beach, offering all sorts of drinks for around Rp10,000 as well as sandwiches and pasta for around Rp30,000 — not to mention cool breezes and great sunsets.
- Le Tebu, Jl. Petitenget 40X, tel. +62-361-739948. Salads, sandwiches and a few token Indonesian items. French owner. Rp30,000.
- Waroeng Bonita, Jl. Petitenget 100X. A vast selection of Western and Indonesian dishes, served up in a garden courtyard. Rp50,000.
- Ku dé Ta Restaurant, Jl Oberoi (Laksmana) #9,. +62 361 736- 969. Built in 2000, one of the island's most famous reastaurants in a beach style setting.
- La Lucciola, - Breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner. Overlooking the beach in Seminyak. Home of the Frangipani Bar, a popular choice for watching the sunset
Many of Bali's hippest nightspots are in Seminyak.
- Hu'u, Jl Oberoi (Laksmana), tel. +62-361-736443, . The seminal Bali establishment of the funky Singaporean nightspot chain, the star attraction here is the lit-up central swimming pool where the bold and the beautiful can jump in. The rest of the complex is chilled-out drinking and dining in the garden and pavilion. Steeply priced though, draft beer is tolerable at Rp20,000 a mug but drinks will set you back Rp60,000 and up.
- Ku dé Ta, Jl Oberoi (Laksmana) 9, tel. +62-361-736969, . Super-stylish bar-restaurant complex with two bars, restaurant seating indoors and beachside divans to laze on while the DJ spins an eclectic mix of music, new and old. Soft drinks from Rp20,000, cocktails from Rp40,000..
- Double Six, Jl Double Six, is a popular late-night disco venue right on the beach. It also has a restaurant that's open during the day and a huge swimming-pool with a bunjee jump.
There are many other good restaurants, including Kafe Warisan which is Balinese / French. Just ask your hotel for a list of restaurants.
There is no backpacker accommodation in Seminyak: the main choices are villas and fancy hotels.
- Contiki Resort Bali. Jl Dyana Pura, tel. +62-361-730573. Designed exclusively for 18-35s. Multi level pool with bar, lounge bar & nightclub, modern architecture, day spa, tennis court. Free shuttle to Kuta.
- Chez Bali Villa and Spa, Jl Beraban, tel. +62-361-736304/5, . 17 private villas. Large pool, only a few steps to the Petitenget beach. Price around US$150-400 per villa in the high/low season, including breakfast, complimentary pick-up also available.
- Elite Havens, Jl Raya Semer #883, tel +62 361 731-074. . This villa agency provides a wide range of private staffed luxury villas for rental. Price range from US$200-2500 per night. All villas are fully staffed and feature private swimming pools.
- Bale Bali, Jl. Pendidikan no. 86 Sidakarya Denpasar - Bali, tel +62-361-7400442 . This private villa agency provides a wide range of private staffed villas for rental. From budget private villas to luxury villas. All private villas are fully staffed and feature private swimming pools.
- Raja Gardens Bungalows, . Balinese style bungalows, just 7 rooms surrounded by extensive green gardens,direct access onto Seminyak Beach.WiFi Internet hotspot, large swimming pool and friendly rates: US$22 fan-cooled room and US$33 air-con room.
- The Jajaliluna Villa, Seminyak . Luxury private villa walking distance to Kudeta restaurant, the beach and La Lucciola restaurant - right in the heart of Seminyak/Oberoi area. Featured in Architectual digest in 2006. Four bedrooms, private pool and garden - fully staffed (private cook, maids, etc). Prices vary from US$600-950 depending on season (also long stay and last minute discount rates available.
- Tony's Villa, Jl Petitenget, tel. +62-361-736166, . 10 luxurious villas, featuring among other things no less than three showers each, set in a lush Balinese garden. Small but delightful pool, 500 meters on foot to the beach. Rates around US$80/50 per villa in the high/low season, including breakfast.
- Villa Kipas, Sari Dewi #34, Seminyak . Luxury private villa only 50 metres to beautiful Seminyak Beach. Located between Oberoi and Sofitel and walking distance to KuDeTa. 2 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms, private pool and garden. Prices vary from US$200 - US$350 depending on season. Cooked breakfast and daily maid service, plus complimentary airport pick-up.
- The Maharaj - private villa, Seminyak . Private luxury villa 200 meters from the Oberoi/Seminyak beach and the adjacent Petitenget temple and La Lucciola restaurant. 4 bedrooms on a quarter of an acre with a 15m private pool - fully staffed (private cook and full housekeeping service). Prices vary depending on season (also long stay and last minute discount rates available.
- The bright lights, shopping centers and traffic jams of Kuta are just 15 minutes away.
- The temple of Tanah Lot, famed for its sunsets, is 40 minutes away by car.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!