Selçuk is a town in Aegean Turkey.
To get in, you can either take the train, which is slower but more economical (*As on 09 October 2009, this service still suspended), or the bus (dolmus) from Izmir. In the otogar, which is located in the center of the village, you can easily go to Izmir, Pamukkale and other places of Turkey.
If you come from Pamukkale, you can take a 20 YTL bus in town easily. They serve with drinks and snacks as well.
There is a small airport in Selcuk but it is only for private planes. Use Izmir Airport, it is only 55 Km to Selcuk.
From Izmir airport you have two options. You can take the bus there, but the terminal is not located in the airport. You can take a taxi (10 lira) to the Selcuk Otogar Station. At the taxi tell them you want to go to Selcuk - Ephesus Otogar. Its about 2km away.
At the station, which really isn't a station you will see a bus stop and some benches. You want to get on the bus (in reality its like a big van) to Selcuk -Ephesus. This sign should be on the front of the mini van. Ask around as there is one person in charge who can help you. From here, it is 7 lira to get to Selcuk's bus station.
The ride will take roughly one hour. It will stop in many stops along the way (some in some remote areas), and just stay on till the very end.
Option two: Go by train.
From the airport there is normally a connecting train station. Though the train normally doesn't run that regularly, as of August 2009, it doesn't run at all due to track renovations in the area. You can check Turkish State Railways' homepage  to see whether the services have re-started.
There are mini-buses (dolmus) to Sirince and Ephesus. To go to the House of Mary you may need to take a taxi .
Rented motorbikes or scooters can be a fun way to discover the surroundings of Selcuk. If you rent a bike note that both Sirince and the House of Mary are up in the hills.
Selcuk is a good starting place for many excursions and visits in the area.
- A major attraction is the old city of Ephesus which is located only 4km away from the center of the village. Entrance fee cost 20 YTL per person.
- The promenade will also take you to the The Temple of Artemis (Artemision). Although it was one of the "Seven Wonders" of the Ancient world, nowadays only a column is left.
- On the way there one can also visit the Cave of the Seven Sleepers where the legend of the Seven Sleepers took place.
- The picturesque village of Sirince is located 9km east to Selcuk up in the Hills. It offers wonderful views among olive and peach trees.
- House of Mary, 10km south is claimed to have been the House where Virgin Mary spend her last days in Ephesus.
- Pamucak beach
- A nice day-tour can take one to the three archeological sites of Priene, Miletus and Dydima located a little bit south in the coast. Several hotels and pensions offer this tour or you can also rent a van, with driver or not, on your own.
In the city center there are other very interesting spots
- The bizantine citadel and the remains of St. John Basylica.
- The Aqueduct.
- The Museum of Ephesus. Contains objects found in the Ephesus excavation at the site.
A day trip to Sirince (8km out of Selcuk). Nestled in the hills, small little village, narrow winding streets, great wines and lots of small cosy wine bars to try them all out in. Beware staying there though as accommodation is very expensive (90euro)??
- Double Knot Carpets, Corner of Cangiz Topel Cad and Namik Kemal Cad. Run by 20-something locals, this carpet shop is a great place to find a carpet for cheap (prices start under 100 Euro) or just to have a cup of tea. Unlike the shops of Istanbul, the shopkeepers won't pressure you into buying anything, and are glad to offer recommendations on local restaurants and bars or just have a chat.
- SOUVENIRS SHOP (ALATURKA SOUVENIRS), NEXT TO EPHESUS MUSEUM (OPPOSITE BUSS STATION NEXT TO SELCUK EFES MUSEUM). Alaturka souvenirs , next to museum . shawl, jewelery, hand crafts, cushion and many things
- ANZ CARPET SHOP (HANDMADE TURKISH CARPET), ATATURK MAH. 1047 SOK. NO:4 /A SELCUK IZMIR (NEXT TO EPHESUS MUSEUM OPPOSITE BUSS STATION), . Alaturka souvenirs, next to museum. shawl, jewelery, hand crafts, cushion and many things edit Mehmet and Alibaba Kebab house, ATATURK MAH. 1047 sok. NO 4 / A SELCUK (OPPOSITE BUSS STATION NEXT TO EPHESUS MUSEUM), ☎ +90 232 892 3872. Mehmet and Alibaba Kebab house, ataturk mah 1047 sok. (opposite to buss station next to museum ), ☎ +90 232 892 3872. new restaurant kebab and Turkish vegetarian food price is soo cheap. edit [add listing] Drink
- Ejder Restaurant, Cengiz Topel Cad. no.9 E PTT Karsisi (in the centre of the town), ☎ +90 232 8923296 ([email protected]). Very friendly place with homemade vegetarian food. Delicious.
- BEST BBQ IN SELCUK ANZ GUEST HOUSE (AUSTRALIAN NEW ZEALAND GUESTHOUSE), 1064 SOK NO 12 SELCUK IZMIR TURKEY (FOLLOW OUR SIGNS, EASY 5 MINUTE WALK. SECOND STREET BEHINDE THE MUSEUM), ☎ +90 232 892 6050, . 'Come as a guest...leave as a friend' BEST BBQ IN SELCUK Greetings from the Australia New Zealand (Turkish) Guesthouse! Located only 7km from the Aegean coast and just 3km from the historic ruins of Ephesus, Selçuk is one of the highlights of any trip to Turkey. And while you're in Selçuk the best place to stay is ANZ Guesthouse. We are recommended by Lonely Planet, Let's Go, The Rough Guide, Guide du Routard, and Footprint travel guides . Read some comments from our guests to find out why they keep coming back, or take a virtual tour of the guesthouse. What makes us the best hostel / guesthouse?
- Mehmet and Alibaba Kebab house, ATATURK MAH. 1047 sok. NO 4 / A SELCUK (OPPOSITE BUSS STATION NEXT TO EPHESUS MUSEUM), ☎ +90 232 892 3872. Mehmet and Alibaba Kebab house, ataturk mah 1047 sok. (opposite to buss station next to museum ), ☎ +90 232 892 3872. new restaurant kebab and Turkish vegetarian food price is soo cheap.
- Dolphin Bar.
- Pink Bistro Cafe. Ask Mesut the bartender to show you some magic tricks and you'll be entertained for hours.
- Rumeli, 25 Ataturk Mah Cengiz Topel Cadessi., ☎ 0 232 892 16 93. 24. A fantastic 24 hour restaurant serving traditional Turkish food, normally for Turkish people. It isn't in any guide books as the owner relies on a heavy after midnight trade of locals - but it is a must see. Different corners are assigned different specialities, soup corner, vegeterian corner, etc. The mushroom pide is especially good! cheap!.
- Mehmet and Alibaba Kebab house, ataturk mah 1047 sok. (opposite to buss station next to museum), ☎ +90 232 892 3872. new restaurant kebab and Turkish vegetarian food price is soo cheap.
- Urkmez hotel  Namik Kemal Cad. 20 +90 0232 892 6312. The Ürkmez Hotel is run by the multi-lingual Ozkan Brothers (English, German, Spanish). All rooms are newly decorated and comes with orthopaedic mattresses and most have A/C and private balconies. Starting from 11€p.p incl. breakfast buffet on the roof terrace.
- Amazon Pension . Ataturk Mah 1054 +90 0232 892 3215. Breakfast in the garden, free daily shuttle rides to Ephesus, Internet and book exchange. Free use of bicycle.
- The Australia New Zealand (Turkish) Guesthouse  has clean rooms with private bathrooms. Great atmosphere, drinks and dinner on the roof-top terrace. Twin room €8.50. Offers complimentary pick-up from Kusadasi and rides to Ephesus.
- Homeros Pension is a old house converted into a pension which has been richly decorated by the owner, who is a carpenter. The rooms are full of charm and the meals, prepared by the sister and mother of the owner, are very good. They also provide free transportation to Ephesus and back. Phone: 892 3995 and e-mail: [email protected]
- Bella Hotel, Ataturk Mah. St. John Street No:7 Selcuk (200m from Otogar), ☎ +90 232 892 3944, . Small family run hotel with wonderful ceramic and carpet / textile decorations. Very convenient location. Excellent dinner on the roof terrace. Free transport to and from Ephesus. Fax: 0090 232 892 0344 Email: [email protected]
- Atilla’s Getaway, [email protected] (2km from Selcuk centre in the village of Acarlar), ☎ +90 (232) 892 3847, . Has a spring water swimming pool surrounded by fruit trees and gardens. Free shuttle buses to Selçuk/Ephesus, as well as free pick up from Kuşadasi Ferry Port. 10 Euro.
- AUSTRALIAN NEW ZEALAND PANSION, Ataturk mah.1064 SOK NO 12 Selcuk Izmir Turkey, . Our accommodations We offer spacious, spotless rooms with private hot-water bathrooms and air conditioning (heat in the winter season). Accommodations include hostel style multi-bed rooms, doubles, twins, triples, and a quad with and without bath. Plus our special rooms — rooms for families, Ottoman-style rooms, and a "honeymoon room" with Jacuzzi. Our room rates offer some of the best value around, and include showers with plenty of hot water. Selçuk/Ephesus - Turkey office phone: +90-(0)232-892-6050 mobile phone: +90-(0)536-745-7561 fax +90-(0)232-892-1594
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!