Earth : Europe : Germany : Northern Germany : Lower Saxony : Southern Lower Saxony : Schöningen
Schöningen is a town of about 13,000 inhabitants in the district of Helmstedt in Lower Saxony, Germany. It is located near the border with Saxony-Anhalt, on the southeastern rim of the Elm hill range. In its current form, it was created in 1974 by joining the municipalities of Esbeck, Hoiersdorf, and Schöningen. Schöningen is a stop on the German Framework Road.
In archaeology, Schöningen is famous for four ancient wooden spears found in an opencast mine near the town (Bamford & Henderson 2003). The spears are about 400,000 years old (Klein. 2005. p114), making them the world's oldest human-made wooden artifacts, as well as the oldest weapons, ever found. Three of them were probably manufactured as projectile weapons, because the weight and tapered point is at the front of the spear making it fly straight in flight, similar to the design of a modern javelin. The fourth spear is shorter with points at both ends and is thought to be a thrusting spear or a throwing stick (Bamford & Henderson 2003). They were found in combination with the remains of about 20 wild horses, whose bones contain numerous butchery marks, including one pelvis that still had a spear sticking out of it. This is considered proof that early humans were active hunters with specialized tool kits.
The first historical mentioning of the Saxon settlement in the Royal Frankish Annals dates back to 747, when the Carolingian Pepin the Short stayed here during the conflict with his half-brother Grifo. Schöningen was the site of a Königspfalz of Pepin's son Charlemagne and later of the Ottonian dynasty. Saint Willigis, Archbishop of Mainz from 975, was probably born at Schöningen about 940.
From the 14th century it was held by the Welf dukes of Brunswick-Lüneburg, who granted Schöningen town privileges in 1332. About 1350 Duke Magnus the Pious had a castle built here to secure the nearby border with the Bishopric of Halberstadt.
- Car Rental
Autohaus Christoph Seydel GmbH Alversdorfer Weg 5 Schöningen 05352 9495-0 www.autohaus-seydel.de
L. Herzig Wilhelmstr. 11 Schöningen 05352 3541
Basse Autovermietung GmbH Weinbergstraße 1 Schöningen 05352 1801
- 400,000 year old Schöningener Spears
- German Framework Route
- 14th century Scahaningi castle
- St. Lorenz Church (14th century)
- Local History Museum (build 1593)
- St. Vincent church
- City Hall overlooks the town square, the place of Schöningen’s weekly market (Saturdays 8am-12n). Here’s a great opportunity to buy some delicious fruits & veggies, colorful flowers, and wonderful souvenirs for your journey home.
- So much of Schöningen is best explored outside. Right on the edge of the forest is a wonderful golf course. Though, if you’re not so inclined to play the links, there’s always the pool & sauna to relax in. Though, that might be a better idea to do after you’ve gone out and done the hiking & biking thing through the Lower Saxon countryside.
- St. Lawrence - a different golf club . Well above the visible church of St. Lawrence on the edge of the Elms extend the fairways of the Golf and Country Club St. Lawrence, one of which has beautiful views in the Magdeburg region up to the resin. The difference from other golf clubs is' That certain something of St. Lawrence, "a blend of the unique location of the place, nestled in the beautiful countryside, near its namesake, the ancient monastery of good St. Lawrence, whose cobblestone manor and the underlying park-like Gutsgarten. For this purpose, the listed, hundreds of years ago from Elmkalkstein built farm buildings, where there is now also the cozy clubhouse. In this particular setting puts it, what is rarely found today: sports, culture, history and landscape that are close together. A young golf club against the backdrop of centuries-old tradition. Golf with a historic view
- Elm Lappwald Nature Park bicycle tours. Ask Schliesser bike for assistance to get around and/or to lead a bicycle tour .
- Greek Restaurant "Akropolis" : schmeckt beinahe besser als in Griechenland. Stilvolle Einrichtung,angenehmes Ambiente, sehr nette Bedienung, kurze Wartezeit. Inh. Maria Simeonidou -Salzstraße 14 - 38364 Schöningen - Tel.: 0 53 52/18 79
- Restaurant "Deutsches Haus" : German coooking at its best. Very friendly service, nice place, very rich menu to choose from, excellent for larger groups. Inh. Albrecht Haage - Hötensleber Straße 3 - 38364 Schöningen - Tel.: 0 53 52/25 89
- Greek Restaurant "Irodion" : the place is clean but needs an upgrade. Very friendly service, some of the ingridience overwhelming, all in all a fair share for the inexpensive meal. Inh. Ilias Pilatos - Markt 26 - 38364 Schöningen - Tel.: 0 53 52/22 01
- Restaurant "Kanzlerkeller": German cooking in a nice place. Excellent location in the city center. Service is medium grade, so is the cooking. Inh. Kerstin Bonnett - Burgplatz 3 - 38364 Schöningen - Tel.: 0 53 52/82 52
- Restaurant "Kurhaus": The restaurant Kurhaus Schöningen located in a nice neighborhood. Very popular for weddings, birthday celebrations but also for society. The guests are mostly from the region. The cozy atmosphere invites for celebrations at favorable prices. - Inh. Albrecht Haage - Bahnhofstraße 13 - 38364 Schöningen - Tel.: 0 53 52/31 81
- Restaurant "Ratskeller": German upscale cooking in City Hall's basement - a warm, sophisticated atmosphere is the ideal backdrop for an evening or an elegant dinner. And there are sophisticated menus and dishes, excellent beers and excellent wines on the cards. - Inh. Matthias Krawczyk - Markt 1 - 38364 Schöningen - Tel.: 05352/969789
- Restaurant "... wie in Oma´s Küche" : German cooking. Insider's hot spot, very friendly service, consistantly good food, nice ambience and priced moderately. - Inh. Michael Mechow Wellmannstraße 1 - 38364 Schöningen - Tel.: 05352-50241
Restaurant "Orient-Imbiß" Inh. Saliha Turan Niedernstraße 19 38364 Schöningen Tel.: 0 53 52/87 95
Restaurant "Sportschänke" Inh. Janine Weis Alte Kirchstraße 1 a 38364 Schöningen Tel.: 0 53 52/30 80
"Schloss-Restaurant" Inh. Patrizio Principale Burgplatz 1 38364 Schöningen Tel.: 0 53 52/90 75 90
Restaurant "Waldfrieden" Inh. Martin Rhode Zum Waldfrieden 1 38364 Schöningen Tel.: 0 53 52/31 78
Bistro Antalya Markt 25 38364 Schöningen Tel.: 0 53 52/9062816 Tel.: 0 53 52/9686014
- Cafe & Bar No. 44 : Pizza, Pasta and Burger . Variety of cake and coffee . In & Outside seating availeable. Very friendly service. At night this place changes into a bar for locals to hang out , talk ,listen to music while sipping a cold beer . Live music on weekends . #1 hot spot to hang out by day and night! Inh. Thomas Piehler - Niedernstraße 44 -38364 Schöningen - Tel.: 0 53 52/9 08 22 13
- Cafe & Bistro Negenborn : Off the beaten track and mostly frequented by locals. Service very friendly . Inh. Thorsten Lohmann -Negenborntrift 25 -38364 Schöningen - Tel.: 0 53 52/9 37 37 77
Hotel Deutsches Haus  Hötensleber Straße 3 Schöningen 05352 2589
Hotel Harmonie Am Wallgarten 12 Schöningen 05352 2023
Fam. Bernitt  Nicolaistr. 3 Schöningen 0170 7797764
Ferienwohnung Willecke  Markt 18 Schöningen 05352 3625