Santaquin is a small city in the Wasatch Front region in the state of Utah in the United States. It hugs the bottom of Utah Valley and is generally considered the southernmost city in the Wasatch Front. Santaquin has a population of approximately 8,500.
Although Santaquin appears to be a rural farming community - and it's true that there are a number of farms and orchards in the area - many people who live in Santaquin commute to work in other areas in the valley, such as Payson, Springville, or Provo. Santaquin has two elementary schools and a charter school for grades K-8, but high school and junior high students attend school in Payson,5 miles away.
The I-15 freeway runs through Santaquin. Exit 244 takes you directly to Main Street. Exit 242 will take you to the Frontage Road (also called South Ridge Farms Road); heading north (right) will take you to South Ridge Farms at the southern edge of Santaquin. By car on I-15, Santaquin is approximately 30 minutes south of Provo, 1 hour 15 minutes south of Salt Lake City, and 5 hours 30 minutes north of Las Vegas.
Santaquin does not yet have any public transportation, although voters agreed on a tax to extend bus services from Payson in the near future.
Santaquin Chieftain Museum housed in the old Central School
- Santaquin Chieftain Museum, 100 W 100 S, ☎ +1 801 754-3910, . By appointment only. Probably the most outstanding local museum you've ever seen: It's filled to the brim with pioneer relics and other more recent memorabilia and daily items chronicling the history of Santaquin. Well-crafted exhibits and displays, including a replica of a mine. The museum is housed in the old elementary school next to the DUP pioneer cabins. Unfortunately, the museum is open only by appointment (don't believe the website) due to poor visitorship, but it's definitely worth calling to see this hidden gem! Free.
- Pioneer Cabin, 40 W 100 S (next to library). By appointment only. An 1871 cabin refurbished to hold pioneer relics. Run by the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers . Free.
- Santaquin Orchard Days, ☎ +1 801 754-5805, . Santaquin's summer festival held yearly in August. Features a car show, cherry pit spit, pie eating contest, grand parade, rodeo, and much more.
- Rowley's Red Barn / South Ridge Farms, 300 West 900 South (I-15 exit 242, turn right onto South Ridge Farm Rd, travel north for 1 mile), ☎ +1 888 754-5511, . Apr-Dec: M-Sa 9AM-9PM; Jan-Mar: M-Sa 9AM-8PM. A family run farm and orchard with a big red barn just outside of Santaquin. Sells fresh produce, ice cream, cookies, and other treats. (39.9607,-111.7947)
- Market on Main, Squash Head Park (51 E Main St), . Held on Saturdays several times per year in the summer. Seasonal outdoor market featuring crafts, produce, and a flea market.
- Leslie Family Tree, 77 W Main St, ☎ +1 801 754-3499. M-Th 9AM-9PM, FSa 9AM-10PM. Homey smalltown family restaurant. Known for its tasty scones.
- Santa Queen, 40 E Main St, ☎ +1 801 754-3051, . M-Sa 10AM-10PM. Local burger joint. $5-10..
- One Man Band Diner, 175 E Main St, ☎ +1 801 754-3668, . M-Sa 7AM-10PM, Su 8AM-10PM. Locally run diner that serves breakfast (and other meals) all day. Holds car shows every third Wednesday between May and September. $5-10.
- Pizza Galley, 340 E Main, ☎ +1 801 754-0444. M-Th 11AM-9:30PM, FSa 11AM-10PM. $5-10.
- Wagon Wheel Saloon, 340 E Main St, ☎ +1 801 754-1304 . Santaquin's only social club/bar. Also serves pizza and sandwiches. Pool tables and arcade games are available.
There are no hotels in Santaquin. The closest hotel is in Payson:
- Quality Inn Payson, 8030 N Main St, Payson (just south of I-15 exit 250), ☎ +1 801 465-4861, . checkin: 2PM; checkout: 11AM. Located in northern Payson, about 7 miles (10 minutes) north of Santaquin on I-15. Free wireless and indoor pool. Pets allowed with fee. From $80/night. (40.054413,-111.731842)
The nearest campground is up Santaquin Canyon, about 7 miles from Santaquin.
- Tinney Flat, (take I-15 exit 244 in Santaquin; go east and turn south onto Forest Road 14 into Santaquin Canyon; continue for about 6.5 miles), ☎ +1 801 798-3571, . Access to the campground is a paved but steep and narrow road. Camp has potable water and vault toilets but no other services. (39.901737,-111.727806)
The Santaquin Public Library  (20 W 100 S, M-Th noon-8PM, F noon-5PM, Sa 10AM-2PM) offers public computers and free wireless (obtain access code at front desk).
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!