Santa Cruz de Mompox (also known as Mompox or Mompós) is a city in Bolivar, Colombia.
Mompox (often spelt Mompós) is a friendly, sleepy town on an island on the Magdalena river, which thrived during colonial times as it was the main resting port for ships traveling up the Magdalena from Cartagena to Honda. It has beautiful colonial architecture which rivals Villa de Leyva’s. It is one of only two UNESCO world heritage towns in Colombia, the other being Old Cartagena. The town is charged with incredible history, notably being the first town of latin America to vote for independence from Spain and the place where Simon Bolivar has said he "owes his glory".
Few Colombians, however, seem to know about this place, and being on an island without any bridges reaching it makes it rather inaccessible but that is precisely why this town has such charm and mystique; few tourists come here but those that do never regret the detour. There is a say, if you have not been to Mompox...you have not seen Colombia. Describing this place is hard but staying there multiple nights is the only way to understand what this town has to offer. During the Jazz festival, the Nautical (Nautica) week ends (one is in November), Christmas and Holy Week expect the town to be completely packed with tourists. The town is very laid back. A bridge is being constructed and flights from Bogota and Medellin should start in 2015. This will greatly facilitate access to Mompox. The newly renovated riverfront street (albarada) and plazas Concepcion, Santa Barbara and San Francisco translate that this little town is about to undertake an irreversible transformation with the imminent arrival of hordes of tourists.
- From/to Valledupar or Maicao, there are some early morning buses which take the ferry straight to Mompox with Cotracegua (5 hours from Valledupar, 50,000 COP).
- From/to Cartagena, you can catch the Unitransco bus that come directly from Cartagena to Mompox and includes the ferry trip or you can opt for a later bus to Magangue and then do the chalupa and taxi combo from there. The Unitransco bus leaves Mompox for Cartagena $50.000 cop at around 6am and you need to confirm the day before if indeed it is leaving at all! There are door to door service value $ 70,000 cop, picks you up at the hostel up mompox leave you in the hostel.
- From/to Bogotá and Bucaramanga, $50.000 cop the best route is probably via El Banco. Then from El Banco catch a 4x4 $ 30.000 cop to mompox.
- From/to Santa Marta or Taganga, there is a "puerta-a-puerta" daily shuttle usually leaving at 3AM or 1PM in Taganga and 30 minutes later in Santa Marta. Travel time is anywhere between 5 to 8 hours depending on weather, traffic and number of people to pick up and drop off. In Taganga, you can book this shuttle at  Casa Felipe or Hostel Moramar. Prices: COP 80.000 (from Santa Marta) - COP 80.000 (from Taganga).
- From/to Sincelejo, this is the closest city to Mompox, from the airport in Corozal you can take a taxi directly to Mompox for COP200,000-250,000 in 2.5 hours. The Corozal airport has daily flights from Bogota and Medellin.
It might be possible to go by boat upriver all the way from Barranquilla. Bus Cost 51.000 cop
It’s also possible to fly to Mompox if you have a private plane.
Mompox is small. Mototaxis take passengers to any point with the town for 1.000 COP. Note that they may take several passengers to different places at the same time, so they are unlikely to take you directly to your destination.
City tour Historical city of the city the price is 40,000 Time. Guia en el Hostel el Viajero Mompox
City tour of the city the price is 17,000 Time mototaxi City.
A tour of the Cienaga Pijiño can apply in the Casa del Viajero Mompox 25,000 pesos per person, departure at 3:00 pm and return to the hostel at 6:00 pm, bird watching is done and you can swim in the cienaga.
There are various colonial churches, of which the Iglesia de Santa Barbara is probably the most famous as it appears on many representative photos of Mompox. It is unusual in that it has a Moorish-style tower with a balcony. Most of the churches only open for mass, which is unfortunate. The best time to take photos of most of the churches is in the morning, as their facades are not in the shade.
Walk around the streets of the Colonial center and along the river front, which are all very beautiful. If it’s too hot, you can arrange an hour’s tour of Mompox on a mototaxi (20,000 COP); it’s also a good way to get your bearings and if you’re lucky, learn some of the local history.
- There's a museum on the Calle Real del Medio.
- The botanical gardens appear, at first sight, to be rather unkept and overgrown. The principal reason to visit this place may be to talk to the guide, Don Ernesto, who resembles a living encyclopaedia with his extensive knowledge about all the plants and trees in the garden, including their medicinal properties. Although this man has never received a formal education he is extremely knowledgeable in general. Sadly, the future of the botanic garden seems to be uncertain, as the local council are not supporting it, and the owners are considering selling it as they cannot afford to keep it running.
- It is possible to go on tour to the Cienaga del Pijiño if you are interested in seeing wildlife such as birds and reptiles. These tours can be arranged by calling at “Hostal la Casa del Viajero Mompox” hostel and talking to a guy named Juan Manuel Galeano Tel. 3204064530.
- Salsa and merengue at Cava Los Angeles on the riverfront at plaza Concepcion
- * Take a 3 to 4 hour river tour, which is much more interesting than it sounds. You will get to see all manner of wildlife, trees, and plants as well as local people living and working along the river. Organise via La casa del Viajero Mompox. Cost is $25.000 - $30.000 per person.
- Strike up conversations on the street with the friendly locals, and they may let you peek into their colonial mansions.
- Swim at hotel Doña Manuela for a small fee. (under construction 2014)
- Climb the water tower for a small fee.
- Take a lancha on the river for a small fee.
- Rent a bike at cafetinto on plaza Concepcion and tour the town.
- Take a 3 to 4 hour river tour, which is much more interesting than it sounds. You will get to see all manner of wildlife, trees, and plants as well as local people living and working along the river. Organise via La Casa del viajero. Cost is $35.000 - $50.000 per person. (As of August 2020.)
Try the local wine at ViniMompox (Cra 3 No. 20-34), where they sell various wines made of banana, guayaba, mamon, orange and tamarindo.
Buy silver jewelery at various workshops around the Calle Real del Medio. Gold jewellery is also produced, but is less common.
- Mompos has plenty of informal eateries catering to appetites of all sorts with local delights but be very picky about the chosen venue ensuring minimum sanity standards are met.
- One of the most typical restaurant with a colonial style city located at the front of the square of freedom " AMBRESIA Restaurant Bar" Visit it with the map Hostal Casa del Traveler or say that will departe the hostel and receive 5% Full board and in beverages.
- On plaza Concepcion Verde Oliva is your best bet. It has the best 4 cheese Pizza and serves many vegetarian dishes.
- The newly opened Mompoj Restaurant located at Bioma Boutique Hotel serves reasonable fusion dishes and the bar offers a variety of exotic cocktails. Service is not great and it is the priciest place in town.
- Walking upriver two blocks from the Santa Barbara church you can find El Fuerte, where austrian chef walter, prepares stone-baked pizzas and homemade pasta in his eclectic bar.
- Ambrosia Restaurante Bar You can enjoy a glass of wine or a beer with a classic style music it has a restaurant and bas service from 6 am until 12 pm an ideal place to talk .
Cava Los Angeles along the riverfront at plaza Concepcion is the best place for drinks and dance salsa, merengue, vellenato.
Cafetinto on the plaza Concepcion are quite a pleasant place to have a drink in the evening.
The bar at Bioma Boutique Hotel offers a nice selection of exotic cocktails and natural juices guaranteed to quench your thirst, delight your taste buds and get you in the mood for further enjoyment.
- Casa Sol de Agua, cra 1era#15-101 (in front of river Magdalena), ☎ 573135712688, . 8 a.m.- 7 p.m.. nice small restaurant with delicious meals and coffee! wifi and bathroom and nice design. $$.
All the prices quoted here increase substantially during the Christmas vacation and Holy Week. Mompox is hot, and you may want to consider staying in a room with air-conditioning.
- Hostal La Casa del Viajero Mompox, Calle 10 N 1-65 (located callejon of on cruz de los heores of Mompox most historic colonial houses), ☎ +573204064530 - +573102434440, . rooms are spacious with high ceilings a fully equipped private apartment is also available. The rooms have fans or A/C. Ideal for small groups, long term tourists or travalers wanting the real authentic feel. Family owned. Dorms 20,000 COP - room w/private bath + AC Double room value 85,000 cop - Triple room value 100.000 cop- Quadruple room value 130.000 COP Tours to the farm of animals on motorcycle the value is 40,000 cop per person( low season-14 de febrero de 2014) Private rooms were full of spiders and kind of dirty as there are many gaps between the roof and the wall
- Bioma Boutique Hotel, Calle Real del Medio # 18 - 59, ☎ +57 315 308 6365, . checkin: any time; checkout: 14:00. Bioma is a boutique hotel born from the meticulous restoration and expansion of a Colonial house strategically located in the heart of Mompoxs' historical center. cost 195.000 - 250.000 cop (9°14'28N,74°25'29W)
- Hostal Doña Manuela, Cr 2 No. 17-41, ☎ (095) 685 5142/ 685 5621/ 685 6175, . A Closed for restoration 2014 up 2015 double room with air-conditioning here will set you back 240,000 - 800.000 COP. The rooms don't seem any better than other rooms in hotels set in colonial houses. Its amenities include on of the only two hotel swimming pools in Mompos. If you want to stay at a colonial hotel, and save a bit of money, it may be best to stay at a cheaper hotel, and pay the 8000 COP daily swimming pool entry fee.
- Casa Sol de Agua, Calle Albarrada, Cra 1 era#15-101 (in front of river Magdalena), ☎ 573135712688, . checkin: anytime; checkout: 11. tiny,cozy, family hotel with delicious breakfast. The rooms have air condition and other facilities. Near to river and historic center. You can rent bicycle and make trip around village. The best place to sit in the evening on a rocking chair and stare at the lazy nad sleepy Magdalena River.
Copetran runs daily services out of Mompox heading to many of Colombia's major cities. It's terminal can be found next to Mercado Nuevo and opposite the Cementario Municipal on Carrera 5, at the far end of the town. The contact number is (+57) 685 6651. (All info correct as of August 2015.)
- Bogotá: 12.30pm
- Bucaramanga: 11.30am & 5.30pm
- Cúcuta: 2.30pm
- Medellín: 1pm ($110.000 pesos p/p and takes about 10 hours)
- Valledupar: 3pm