*'''TacoTime''' it really is.
*'''TacoTime''' it really is.
| || |
*'''The Mayan''' inside Jordan Commons.
*'''The Mayan''' inside Jordan Commons.
| || |
Revision as of 19:39, 25 July 2013
Sandy  is a city located just south of Salt Lake City in Utah's Wasatch Front. It is one of the major suburbs of Salt Lake City.
Sandy is the fourth largest city in Utah, with a population of approximately 90,000. It is a bedroom community of Salt Lake City. It lies in the south-central portion of Salt Lake Valley, a large valley located between the Oquirrh Mountains to the west and the Wasatch Mountains to the east, where the Great Basin and Rocky Mountain regions meet. The city is largely residential, but commercial areas lie in the west part of the city and along major roads through the city, including South Town Mall and the Jordan Commons shopping center. The eastern residential regions lie along the western slopes (benches) of the Wasatch Range, and the residences become more affluent as you climb the bench. Sandy lies along the Wasatch Front, the region of nearly continuous urbanization from Brigham City south to Payson, including the cities of Ogden, Salt Lake City, and Provo.
Sandy, in particular, is friendly toward visitors. Some refer to the city as "The Ultimate Base Camp." No where else, worldwide, is there the same proximity to as wide a variety of mountain and outdoor recreation, and metropolitan conveniences.
Sandy, as well as all of Salt Lake Valley, lies on what is known as a grid system. See Salt Lake City for helpful information on the grid system used in Utah. The easiest way to get to Sandy from the international airport is to take I-80 East until it merges with I-15 south west of Downtown Salt Lake City, and keep going south until you reach Sandy. Sandy can be accessed from the 9000 South (Exit #298) and 10600 South (Exit #297) exits. From Downtown Salt Lake City, you can also take State Street, 700 East, or 1300 East straight south.
TRAX is a light rail line administered by the Utah Transit Authority (UTA) located in the Salt Lake Valley. The southern terminus is located in Sandy, which you can board at 10000 South near Jordan High School. It runs north through downtown. Fares and schedules available at: Ride UTA. The stop at Sandy is just in the middle of a car park and bus interchange, with no pedestrian signs pointing anywhere, and all the other passengers seeming to be going to their cars or to buses. It is possible to walk to the Civic Center, and to the shopping areas, if you know where you are going.
UTA also operates an extensive bus system which covers the entire Wasatch Front. Sandy has easy and extensive access to many of these bus lines, many of which also stop at the TRAX stations.
- Balloon Festival. If you happen to be in Sandy during the summer (August), you should check out the city's annual Balloon Festival. The sky literally fills with hot air balloons.
- Movies in the Park. Also during the Summer, various parks throughout the city host "Movies in the Park." The city places big screens and projects movies for people to come and see.
- Jordan Commons. Located on State Street at 9400 South. A great place to go. Plenty of restaurants, a movie theater, an arcade, and office buildings.
- Rio Tinto Stadium. Located on State Street at 9400 South just West of Jordan Commons. Home of Real Salt Lake MLS soccer team, reigning MLS Cup Champions. The stadium recently hosted Paul McCartney and KISS and has a date with Neil Diamond on July 28th. The stadium also hosts a number of other events, including, most recently, the USA Rugby Championships.
- Sandy Amphitheater, 1245 East 9400 South, . The concert experience at the Amphitheater is truly unique and one you will not find anywhere else in the area. The view is breathtaking as the sun sets in the west and the moon rises over the Wasatch Mountains to the east. Enclosed by an abundance of natural plant life and accented with water features, the amphitheater beautifully blends in with its surroundings. The Sandy Amphitheater holds a capacity of 2,750: 966 theater seats up close to the stage, while the lawn seats about 1,800 with both designated lawn chair and blanket areas. Either way, patrons will enjoy an intimate concert experience with plenty of room to stretch out and enjoy an evening of music under the stars. Past acts the amphitheater include: Glen Campbell, Easton Corbin, Olivia Newton-John,and others.
- Sandy City Museum. Located at 8744 S. 150 E., . The museum is located at the original Sandy train station in a historic ZCMI building with two levels of displays, a gift shop and an outdoors exhibit. Hours are Tues. Thurs. and Sat. 12:00 to 5:00 and by appointment.
- The Living Planet Aquarium, 725 E 10600 S, ☎ +1 801 355-3474, . Winter: Sun-Th 11am-6pm, Fri/Sat 11am-7pm; Summer: Sun-Th 10am-7pm, Fri/Sat 10am-8pm. The Living Planet Aquarium highlights animal habitats in Utah waters, Earth's oceans and South American species. learn about our interdependence with the fragile ecosystems of our planet through entertaining, interactive educational exhibits and programs.
It is said that Utah is home to the greatest snow on Earth, and Sandy is only a short drive to some of Utah's best Ski resorts.
- Snowbird, Snowbird Ski and Summer Resort Highway 210, Little Cottonwood Canyon, Snowbird, UT 84092, ☎ 801-933-2222, . Snowbird and Alta were named the No.1 Ski Resort in North America by Outside Magazine in 2008. Snowbird offers 882 lodging rooms between four lodging properties. There are also a variety of restaurants and dining options, a relaxing spa, and a helpful staff. Snowbird is also available for Summer, Spring, or Fall activities, such as hiking or the famous Alpine Slide.
- Alta, Alta Ski Area, PO Box 8007, Alta, UT 84092, U.S.A., ☎ 801-359-1078, . Snowbird and Alta were named the No.1 Ski Resort in North America by Outside Magazine in 2008.
- SoutheTowne Mall is a moderate sized mall, with standard offering of shops, and a kids carousel It is pleasant enough, but has no significant features to distinguish it from any other shopping mall. To walk from the Sandy TRAX stattion, walk out of the station, and to the Sandy Civic Centre down Sago Lily Dr. Walk the full length of the grass mall in front of the Town Hall to the shopping mall.
- Royal India One of the best Indian Food experiences in town!
- Simply Thai Great Thai food.
- Johanna's Kitchen it's been there forever. It's really good home-cooked food. It's next to Jordan High School.
- Sconecutteris open 24 hours.
- Crownburger across the street from Jordan High School.
- Toscano Good, fresh pizza.
- Cafe Rio Great fast Mexican.
- Los Cucos This is the only one outside of Texas. Great Tex-Mex!
- The Mayan inside Jordan Commons. (Permanently closed)
- La Caille Fine dining located at 9565 S. Wasatch Blvd. La Caille is the most exquisite, ultra-luxurious restaurant in the state of Utah. The restaurant is located on 22 acres in the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon. Expect to pay $50-100. per plate. Also know for banquets and events such as weddings and receptions.
- Tiburon Fine Dining Delicious fine dining. On the pricy side.
- Fry sauce is a Utah specialty. What is it? Fry sauce is a mixture of ketchup and mayonnaise eaten on French fries. Fry sauce was created many years ago by the local fast food restaurant Arctic Circle and has since spread to the rest of Utah, as well as eastern Idaho. Almost any local (and many chain) restaurants will serve this tasty pink concoction. For more on Arctic Circle locations see: Arctic Circle Restaurants. Known elsewhere as "Russian Dressing". Ask for Fry Sauce at any Fast Food place in Sandy, and they will know what you are talking about.
- Best Western Cotton Tree Inn, 10695 Auto Mall Drive, +1 801 523-8484, Fax: +1 801 523-8989, .
- Country Inn and Suites
- Courtyard Salt Lake City Sandy, 10701 S Holiday Park Drive, +1 801 571-3600, Fax: +1 801 572-1383, .
- Residence Inn Salt Lake City Sandy, 270 West 10000 South, +1 801 561-5005, Fax: +1 801 561-9672, .
- Castle Creek Inn, 7391 Creek Road, ☎ (801) 567-9437, . A castle-themed B&B with 10 individually decorated rooms, each with whirlpool tub, fireplace, and WiFi.