San Marcos La Laguna is a quiet town on Lake Atitlán in Guatemala. The town has become a bit of a Mecca for all things spiritual, with several meditation, yoga, and massage centers. It's one of the most beautiful spots on the lake, and quite easy to lose a few days in.
Take a shuttle boat from the public dock at Panajachel (Q20, 45 minutes).
The most striking feature of this town is that it has practically no roads — everything is reached by thin foot paths through trees and between buildings. Handmade signs direct you to the most common destinations at any intersection.
- Rock Jumping - There are a series of rocks that can be accessed by foot via the shore of the lake. From there, its a long way down to the water. What fun! Swiping of wallets, cameras, and pants have been known to occur, so come with minimal items.
- Yoga - Many places run early morning yoga programs, that are of minimal cost or free. Hatha dominates here.
- Akab'al Spanish School, ☎ + 502-41 44 06 12 ([email protected]), . Study in a relaxed, peaceful atmosphere surrounded by nature. individual training $4-$5/hr for 10-30 hrs/week. Add $50/week for homestay.
- Moonfish- Excellent mostly vegi fare for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Chai tea, the best, house-roasted coffee in the world, brownies made with their own cacao, sandwiches for 25-30Q (including grilled tofu or falafel), pizzas, salads from their garden, and more.
- Aaculaax- serves a good breafkast from 8AM-1PM daily, on a balcony overlooking the garden and the lake.
- Los Pyramides- The retreat has a great little veggie restaurant open to non-guests.
- On the way from the dock to the square, there is a small fruit shop on the left, with fruit on display near the curb. Inside, a a lady makes tasty sandwiches for 10Q, and sometimes other simple foods. It's one of the cheapest options in San Marcos. They don't always have food - you'll have to drop by and see.
- Hotel Aaculaax, (Get off at the dock, head up the paved path and follow signs to your left), . At this little ecolodge each room is unique, built into the steep hillside, and decorated with recycled glass and murals. Excellent restaurant for breakfast and dinner. Rooms $42, suites $82.
- Hotel The Retreat, ☎ +502 5857-6397, . Bed and breakfast in individual thatched huts, and a spiritual retreat centre. Set on its own mountain overlooking Lake Atitlan. Five minute walk to the village. $150/day including food.