Isla Verde is in Carolina, Puerto Rico.
Rent a car from Allied Car Rental or Charlie's car rentals, where they usually have decent prices on Jeeps and convertibles, and drive east out of Isla Verde along Route 187 toward Fajardo. If you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle, you can see small sand entrances amongst dense trees that you can drive into, leading you to semi-private or private beach areas. These areas aren't great for swimming but you can certainly cool off privately or stop for a picnic.
See also "Get Around" "Rental Car" under San Juan for driving there.
Go to Espana Bakery. On the south side of the highway (west end of Isla Verde) it has been in existence for over 30 years easily the best place to get "pastelitos" of many types, Spanish style soup (Fabada Austriana or Caldo Gallego - both are versions of hearty bean and ham or sausage soups), sandwiches and "cafecito" the local coffee drink drunk any time of the day or night.
The area holds many excellent hotels and condominiums; some of the latter offer units for rent. Hotels on the beach often charge higher rates than others. Hotels near the airport usually insulate rooms effectively against the noise of aircraft landing and taking off. Nearly all are within walking distance of a wide range of restaurants, from fast food to island specialties.
- InterContinental San Juan Resort & Casino, . Featuring a superb beachfront location on trendy Isla Verde, steeped in dining and nightlife options.
- Courtyard Isla Verde Beach Resort, 7012 Boca de Cangrejos Ave, 791-0404 or 800-791-2553.
- Embassy Suites San Juan Hotel & Casino, 8000 Calle Tartak, 791-0505 or 800-362-2779.
- Hampton Inn & Suites San Juan Resort, 6530 Isla Verde Ave, 791-8777 or 800-426-7866. Clean and friendly, business-oriented Inn
- Howard Johnson Hotel, 4820 Isla Verde Ave, 728-1300.
- Ritz-Carlton San Juan Hotel, Spa & Casino, 6961 Los Gobernadores Ave, 253-1700 or 800-241-3333.
- The San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel , 2 Calle Tartak, (787)728-3666 | 888-265-6699. Pet-friendly luxury boutique hotel on the beach.
- El San Juan Hotel & Casino, 6063 Isla Verde Avenue, http://www.elsanjuanhotel.com/ a luxury hotel with fine reputation (is no longer affiliated with the Wyndham hotel chain)
- El San Juan Hotel & Casino, 6063 Isla Verde Avenue (arolina 00979 Puerto Rico), ☎ 866-317-8935, . Located in the fashionable Isla Verde district of San Juan, it is nestled along the most beautiful beach on the island and surrounded by 15 lush acres of landscaped grounds - perfectly blending tropical splendor with old-world sophistication
The "Wyndham Hotel & Casino", 6063 Isla Verde Avenue, is actually the "El San Juan Hotel & Casino," has always been known as the "El San Juan," and is no longer affiliated with the Wyndham hotel chain.Randyrasey 16:50, 21 April 2007 (EDT)