San Gimignano is a pretty medieval walled city in Tuscany, Italy, famous for its beautiful towers.
The towers of San Gimignano
The historical town of San Gimignano on the hill has no train station, but you can easily reach San Gimignano by taking a train to Poggibonsi (labelled "Poggibonsi-S.G.") and then a bus from the Poggibonsi train station to San Gimignano. These buses cost €3.60 (2007) each way, leave every 30-40 minutes, and you can inquire for information, schedules, and tickets at the tourist information office which is located ahead toward the right as you walk out of the train station.
If you are going from Florence (Firenze) to Poggibonsi, direct trains are not so frequent but you will find many connections via Empoli.
Easily reachable from Florence or Siena, though you may have to change buses in Poggibonsi. Buses leave from Florence's bus station (next to the train station) hourly, and take 1.25 to 2 hours for €6. From Siena there are €5.20, 75 minute buse rides (5 a day)
Buses depart from Porta San Giovanni, with tickets sold at the bar just inside the gate or at the Tourist Info. Florence buses leave hourly, change in Poggibonsi, and take 1.25-2 hours. Siena buses are 5/day, 75 minutes, and also change in Poggibonsi. Volterra has 4/day that take 2 hours and change in Colle di Val d'Elsa. Sunday buses are fewer and more crowded.
You may also arrive by car. You can't drive inside the town walls, but there are several pay parking lots just outside the town walls, with free places further away. The handiest lot, Parcheggio Montemaggio, outside Porta San Giovanni, fills quickly, but they let 1 car in for every one that leaves, so you can wait (€2/hour). There is free parking on the side of the road going down from the turnabout.
On foot - it's very small, and you must disembark from your car or bus outside the city walls, in any case. An electric shuttlebus goes all day from Porta San Giovanni to Piazza della Cisterna to Porta San Matteo. € 1, 2/hours, buy ticket at Tourist Info or Tabacchi shop
- Piazza del Duomo the town church's square, is surrounded by thousand-year-old towers
- SanGimignano1300: The visit to the museum is an ideal opportunity to learn about the architectural, social, and historical aspects of the middle Ages in Tuscany. Located in the heart of the city itself, the museum offers a massive reconstruction of the city of San Gimignano dated between the 13th and 14th Century. Open every day. €5 Adults. €3 Children. Audioguides available. Via Berignano n. 23.
- The Collegiata, the nearest to a duomo (cathedral) in this small city, is beautiful and contains a splendid series of frescoes on Old and New Testament subjects. €3.50, €5.50 combo ticket includes Religious Art Museum. Open Monday to Friday 9:30-7:30, Saturday 9:30-5:00, Sunday 12:30-5:30
- The Pinacoteca Civica (civic painting gallery/museum) in the Palazzo Pubblico is small but has beautiful art inside. €5, price includes Torre Grossa, €2 audioguides, open daily March to October 9:30-7:00, November to February 10:00 to 5:00
- Torre Grossa, is the tallest tower in the city at 200 feet. €5, price includes Pinacoteca Civica, same hours as museum.
- The town's 14 Towers are all that remain of the original 72, which were owned by the rich who liked to stay safe there when the town was sacked. But then Florence took control of San Gimignano, and most of them were torn down
- Porta San Giovanni is a gate at the southern end of the town's 13th century walls
- The church of Sant'Agostino in the northeastern part of the city contains a set of great frescoes on the life of St. Augustine by Benozzo Gozzoli, & friendly, English-speaking friars to tell you about the church. English mass at Sunday at 11:00, open daily 7:00-12:00 & 15:00-19:00, free, but €.50 inserted into a coin box will light up a painting.
- The panorama of the countryside from the Rocca (literally, a big rock) in the southwestern part of the city.
- The Piazza della Cisterna, a beautiful piazza with an old stone well (no longer used) in the middle. This is where a Thursday market gathers.
- Thursday is market day in Piazza del Duomo
- Tourist Information is also in the Piazza del Duomo, which is open March to October 9:00-1:00 & 3:00-7:00, November to February 9:00-1:00 & 2:00-6:00. They offer free maps, a room-booking service, bus tickets, a free bag check, & €5, 2 hour audioguides for exteriors only. This is also where a walking tour starts from at 3:00 daily except Sunday, in English & Italian, March-October, for €15
You will notice shops where free wine tastings are offered. If you consider the wines a good value, buy some bottles. You may find the wine expensive.
- Trattoria Chiribiri Cheap, homemade pastas and desserts. Open daily 11:00 to 11:00, on Piazza della Madonna, cash only. Telephone: 0577-941-948
- La Mangiatoia Wild game served by candlelight. Open Wednesday to Monday 12:30 to 2:30 & 7:30 to 10:00. Closed Tuesday, outdoor seating, near Porta San Matteo at Via Mainardi. Telephone: 0577-941528
- La Grotta Ghiotta Soup and sandwiches for there or to go, open daily 12:00 to 10:00, on Via Santo Stefano. Telephone: 0577-942-074
- Locanda di Sant'Agostino On a square at Sant'Agostino Church. Cheap & cheery for lunch & dinner daily (closed January). Telephone: 0577-943141
- Co-op Supermarket is great for picnic food, open Monday to Saturday 8:30 to 8:00, closed Sunday, at parking lot below Porto San Giovanni
- San Gimignano Hotels Promotion,  Is the portal through which you can book hotels ,farm holiday centres, B&Bs and restaurants at San Gimignano. Is associated with the SHP Consortium. This is the reason why it is so rooted in the territory involving the majority of the tourist structures at San Gimignano and in its close by valleys.
- Casa di Giovanna,  Located on the main street, 100 metres from the main gate of the town. Double ensuite with breakfast - €72.
- Torre Prima FarmHouse,  Torreprima holidays house is 4 Km away from the historical center of San Gimignano, and is situated on top of a hill from where it is possible to delight the beautiful view over the surrounding valleys of olive groves and vineyards.
- Hotel Semifonte,  Via Pisana, 1 I-50021 Barberino Val d'Elsa (FI) superstrada FI-SI, exit Poggibonsi Nord - Tel 055.8068.051 - Fax 055.8069.283 - E-mail: [email protected]
It is centrally located for all tourist flows and cultural itineraries to Siena-Florence-Pisa-S.Gimignano, between the Val d' Elsa and the Chianti territory. On ancient itinerary "Via Francigena", Hotel Semifonte is today in the center of three important roads: SS49 of the Val d' Elsa, Provincial Str. for S.Gimignano, Supestrada Firenze/Siena and the highway A1 for Bologna and Rome.
- Hotel la Cisterna On Piazza della Cisterna, with 49 rooms, some with panoramic view terraces. Single w/bathroom €70, Double w/bathroom €98, Double w/bathroom & terrace €122. Buffet breakfast, elevator, restaurant with great view, discounts off sesason, closed January & February. Telephone: 0577-940-328
- Ponte a Nappo Run by Carla Rossi, who doesn't speak English, but her son does, has comfortable rooms in a farm outside town. Double w/bathroom €70, apartments for 2-6 people €90-€180, breakfast €8. Air-conditioning, parking, 15 minute walk or 5 minute drive from Porto San Giovanni, on Via Vecchia. Telephone: 0577-955-041 or Mobile: 349-882-1565
- Palazzo al Torrione Inside Porta San Giovanni, is quiet & handy, with 10 rooms but no full-time reception. Double w/bathroom €70-€110, breakfast €5-€10, family suites, cheap parking, at Via Berignano. Telephone: 0577-940-480 or Mobile: 338-938-1656
- In-town Rossi Apartments Owned by same family as Ponte a Nappo, in town center. Double w/bathroom €55, fancier double w/bathroom overlooking town square €85. Same contacti info as Ponte a Nappo farm
- Locanda il Pino Clean, quiet, & small with only 5 rooms, is run by a family over their restaurant inside Porta San Matteo. Double w/bathroom €55, no breakfast, parking right by gate on via Cellolese, far from bus stop, but fine if you have a car. Telephone: 0577-940-415
- Le Nuvole - wonderful country house in a beautiful position, only 2 km away from San Gimignano. The carefully restored house has 3 living parts, two of them with exit to the garden, provate swimming pool, terrace, garden furniture, barbecue. Linen change weekly. Parking by the house.
- Hotel Villa San Paolo,  Surrounded by olive trees and the Italian garden, the Villa and the new "borgo" with the sunny swimming pool and the charming view of the Towers of S.Gimignano, give to guests the most modern comforts in an elegant but informal athmosphere, with an attentive and friendly service. 
This country residence of the nobily has been beautifully restored in harmony with the original architecture and playing great respect to details in order to create a confortable hotel with good facilities and a great deal of personal charme.
- HOTEL L'ANTICO POZZO (Hotel L'antico Pozzo), Via San Matteo 87 (SAN GIMIGNANO), ☎ +390577942014, . checkin: 12; checkout: 11. The stylish hotel in San Gimignano. Located in a superbly renovated historic building within the ancient walls of the medieval town, L’Antico Pozzo is the perfect backdrop for art lovers and travellers looking for sober and refined elegance. The peaceful and inspiring atmosphere of the hotel reflects the incomparable charm of the town that surrounds it.Boutique hotels.  (N43° 28' 05,E11° 02' 30)
- Relais Santa Chiara Hotel (Relais Santa Chiara), Via Matteotti 15 (400 meters from the historic centre), ☎ +39 0577 940701, . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 12:00. The Relais Santa Chiara is a charming first class hotel located just below the city walls, a short walk from the World Heritage village of San Gimignano which is characterized by its magestic towers. Set in private grounds with garden and swimming pool and situated on a hill in the heart of Tuscany, between Florence and Siena, and overlooking the splendid countryside, the hotel offers fine service and surroundings, maintaining the taste and style that attracts visitors from around the world. € 110-270. (N43° 28' 05,E11° 02' 30)