Salzkammergut is in Upper Austria, Salzburg and Styria.
The styrian part is also called Ausseerland.
The Salzkammergut (literally translated: Property of the Salt Chamber) is one of the most beautiful holiday regions in Austria, with its name coming from its history. As the premier spot for Salt ("Salz") Mining. As salt was and is important it was under direct control by the Emperors in Vienna - that's where the name "Kammer" came from.
If you have seen the movie The Sound Of Music then you know what that lake region looks like, because that movie was filmed in and around the city of Salzburg and the neighboring Salzkammergut region.
Sparkling clean lakes, green hills, wonderful mountains, romantic towns and cities (like St.Wolfgang and Hallstatt make up this magical region that is filled to the rim with scenic beauty and a rich local culture.
If you ever visit the city of Salzburg and don't see this glorious lake region just half an hour by car east of the city then you have truly missed out on the most beautiful part of Austria.
The regional train has a comprehensive service running through the heart of the Salzkammergut and on into Styria. This provides easy access to the region from both Salzburg and Vienna, passing through Gmunden, Bad Ischl, Bad Goisern, Hallstatt and Obertraun.
I would however suggest car hire as the best way in which to explore this fascinating region. This gives you the freedom to explore area such as Gosausee and St Wolfgangsee, not accessible by train.
- Schloss Ort - The TV series "Schlosshotel Orth" is playing there.
- Skiing on the extensive Dachstein West Ski Region - 140km of Intermediate Piste + the Krippenstein Freeride Arena, for those looking for an exilhorating off-piste experience 
- Swimming in the lakes
- Mountain Hiking
- Walking on the Gmunder Promenade
- Visit Hallstatt a UNESCO World Heritage site, a stunningly beautiful village.
- The Dachstein Ice Caves at Obertraun, are well worth a visit.
- Mountain Bike, there are many trails for all levels of biker with stunning scenery around every corner.
- The Krippenstein is a stunning paragliding site, rising 1500m from the valley floor.
- Steckerlfisch - fish on a stick grilled on open fire
- Hotel Obermayr, Hinterebenau 18, A-5323 Ebenau, ☎ +43 (0)6221 7236 ([email protected], fax: +43 (0)6221 7236), . Small family friendly 3-stars hotel in the Salzkammergut region, near Salzburg City. With a traditional austrian inn (Restaurant).
- Hotel Restaurant Stefanihof, Dorfplatz 27, A-5330 Fuschl am See, ☎ +43 (0) 6226 8371 ([email protected], fax: +43 (0) 6226 83718), .
- Hotel Ebner`s Waldhof, Seestraße 30, A-5330 Fuschl am See, ☎ +43 (0) 6226 8264 ([email protected], fax: +43 (0) 6226 8644), .
- Gartenhotel Sonnleitn, Seestraße 4, A-5330 Fuschl am See, ☎ +43 (0)6226 8405 ([email protected], fax: +43 (0)6226 8405 8), .
- Hotel Mohrenwirt, Dorfplatz 3, A-5330 Fuschl am See, ☎ +43 (0) 6226 8228 ([email protected], fax: +43 (0) 6226 8628 88), .
- Pension Huber, Dorfstrasse 9, A-5330 Fuschl am See, ☎ +43 (0) 6226 8217 ([email protected], fax: +43 (0) 6226 82172), .