Salta is the capital of the Salta province in Argentina.
- Plane: the airport is 12 km south of the city centre. Bus 22 runs between the airport and the bus terminal. The Aerolíneas Argentinas office is located at Caseros 475, tel. (0387) 431 0258.
- Bus: there are connections to all mayor cities in Argentina. The bus station is just one block from Parque San Martín, or 8 blocks from the main plaza.
- From Jujuy it's possible to take a combi (shared taxi) for Ar$10.
- Cabildo, the old town hall, of 1783, on the Plaza 9 de Julio. Now houses the Museo Histórico del Norte
- Iglesia San Francisco, on the corner of Caseros and Córdoba, of 1796, beautiful church with remarkable tower.
- Cerro San Bernardo, 1458 m hill just east of the city centre. From Parque San Martin, a cable car goes to the summit, offering spectacular views of the city and its surroundings.
- Museo Antropológico , Avenida Ejército del Norte. Offers a very interesting insight into various indigenous cultures, which have flourished throughout the centuries in this part of Argentina
- Balcarce Arts and Crafts Fair, , Each Sunday the main nightclubbing street, Balcarce, is closed to traffic all day long for a very good arts and crafts fair featuring the work of local artists and craftsmen of all types.
- Doña Lola, , Traditional Salteñan food in a very nicely restored old house which also contains a small museum of local artifacts.
- El Solar del Convento, Half a block east of the main square, Caseros 444. Serve free champange while you choose from the menu. Inexpensive yet elegant dining with excellent steaks and wines.
Nightlife is centered on the north end of Balcarce.
- Terra Oculta , Córdoba 361, (0387)421 8769 ([email protected]). Popular backpackers spot and a good place to meet fellow travellers. It has all the usually services and there is a weekly barbeque and a bar. Dorm Ar$20 / Double Ar$40.
- corre caminos dorm 18 pesos. kitchen, free pooltable, nice people around.
- The Marilian Hostal . Buenos Aires 160 (A4400FDD). Tel. 54-387-4370531. Email: [email protected] As of July, 2004, prices were: Single $55 pesos, Double $65 pesos, Triple $85, Quad $105 pesos. Clean hostal, on the main drag (Buenos Aires street), 24hr hot water, heating, 18 cabanas, English spoken, and continental breakfast is included in the price.
- Las Rejas . Gral. Güemes 569. ([email protected]) Very central, 2 blocks from the main plaza and the cathedral. Offers hostel accomodation as well as B&B. Very friendly, many amenities including travel desk.
- Saltainfo.com  has info on a lot of the hostels and hotels as well as some pictures and other tourist info.
Salta is the base for many great trips throughout the province. Along Buenos Aires there are plenty of tour agencies offering excursions in the region. Especially good are the 4WD trips to the beautiful Valles Calchaquíes, as well as rafting trips to the Río Juramento.