Sagar Island (also known as Sagar or Gangasagar) is in South 24 Parganas district of West Bengal. Sagar Island is the southernmost part of West Bengal and is a religious spot for hindu pilgrims.
The Kapilmuni Temple at Gangasagar
Sagar Island can be crossed and Sagar & Ganga meeting point can be reached via private taxis also which are genarally charging between INR 450 to INR 700 and it takes about 40 minutes to reach point.
Transport Ferry at Sagar.
- Sagar Island can be approached from either Harwood point or Namkhana. Both the points are linked by Calcutta State Transport Corporation (CSTC) or West Bengal Surface Transport Corporation buses. Distance of Harwood Point is around 80 Km. from Kolkata and Namkhana is 13 Kilometers more. Bus fare from Kolkata to Namkhana is arond Rs.40 (as on June 2005).
- Both the points Namkhana and Harwood Point can be reached by train from Sealdah Station. There are direct trains to Kakdwip from Sealdah Station with link trains to Namkhana. Train fare upto Kakdwip is Rs. 18 only. From Kakdwip, Harwood Point is only 5 Km. and Namkhana is 12 Km. by bus or jeep.
- To reach Sagar Island one must cross the Muriganga river/creek by ferry service. Ferry service is available in both Harwood point and Namkhana and controlled by West Bengal Surface Transport Corporation. Frequency of crossings are more in Harwood point and it is onece in every half an hour. The fare for a single crossing for a person is Rs. 6/- as on December 2005. The fare increases at the time of Ganagasagar Mela (The Fair).
- After reaching Sagar Island one have to cross the whole strech of Sagar Island (32 Km.) by local bus or shared taxi. Fare should be around Rs.10. There is no accommodation available on the point of crossing (Kachuberia), so everybody have to travel the whole strech of the Island and reach the southernmost part, where accommodations are abundant.
- Except from Namkhana and Harwood Point, there is also a direct ferry service available to Kachuberia (Sagar Island) from Haldia.
- It is possible to go the entire length by private car or hired car from Kolkata. At Harwood Point there is provision to transport vehicle with the help of a barge locally known as LCT. There are no fixed time for the crossings, because it is totally dependent on the water-level and thus, on the tides. The charge for a light or medium vehicle is Rs. 250/- as on December 2005. The fare increases at the time of Ganagasagar Mela (The Fair).
- Kapil Muni temple at South Sagar.
- Fairgrounds at South Sagar.
- Sea beach at South Sagar.
- Sagar Marine Park at South Sagar.
- Sagar Lighthouse and Port at Beguakhali
- Ramkrisna Mission Ashram.
- Sushama Devichowdhurani Marine Biological Research Institute. (SDMBRI) at Bamankhali.
There are many cheap rice hotels all over the Sagar Island, serving good quality Bengali food to the visitors.
For accommodations, are too many places to choose from in South Sagar. Some are named below. In the time of Sagar Mela or the Fair, the number of accommodation increases drastically with temporary camps/hutments from many commercial and non commercial organizations. It is advisable to book your accommodation prior to go to Sagar Island in the time of Sagar Mela.
The following organizations provide shelter for tourist and pilgrims round the year:
- State Youth Hostel- Charge for a Double bed room with attached bath is Rs. 100 per day. Chek in time is at 12 noon. (Booking can be done in Directorate of Youth Services, 32/1, B.B.D. Bag (South), Calcutta - 700001. Ph: +91 2248 0626.)
- Bharat Sevashram Sangha.
- Larica Sagar (Tourist Lodge), Telephone +91 3210 240226-227.
- Carry mosquito and snake repellents.
- Carry Electric Torches and other means of Emergency Lights, because Sagar Island does not get power from the main electric supply grid. The Island only gets few hours of power supply in the evening, form a central diesel operated power generating station, situated at Rudranagar. There is complete blackout for the rest of the day/night. But in the time of Sagar Mela (The fair) Sagar gets sufficient supply of electricity for the whole day.
- Snake bite mortality is considerably high in Sagar Island. There is sufficient measures for treatment of snake bite in Sagar Gramin Hospital. But it is advisable to avoid travelling at night with insufficient light. Travellers should apply some snake repellents in their room before going to bed. It is better to use a mosquito net to protect oneself not only from mosquitoes, but also from snakes.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!