SNUBA is a form of introductory diving that allows people with no training in scuba to experience what it is like to breathe underwater like a scuba diver. SNUBA is the registered trade name (SNUBA International, Inc.) for the underwater breathing system. The word SNUBA is both a portmanteau of the words 'snorkel' and 'scuba' and also and acronym for Surface Nexus Underwater Breathing Apparatus.
Tropical islands and beaches are one of the most popular travel destinations. Before the introduction of SNUBA visitors were resigned to snorkeling, touring in a glass bottom boat, or spending vacation time learning to use scuba diving equipment in order to see the coral reefs. SNUBA has opened up the underwater world by offering nearly the same expereince of scuba diving, but in a simpler, safer manner. This introduction to diving has in turn led many SNUBA participants to later take dedicated scuba diving courses to learn how to safely dive on their own.
- Phuket in Southern Thailand — The islands surrounding Phuket have great coral reefs that are in the perfect depth range for SNUBA diving. The best reefs for SNUBA are found on Racha Yai (Raya Island) 34km South of Phuket. Other SNUBA locations around Phuket include Phi Phi, Coral Island and Koh Poo off of Kata Beach. ALOHA SNUBA Thailand
- Phi Phi also in Southern Thailand has several sites that are great SNUBA diving locations. Hin Klang, Bida Islands, and Maya Bay.
- Okinawa in Japan offers SNUBA on some of Japan's most beautiful reefs.
- The Big Island ofers SNUBA diving on boat trips from Honokohau Harbor and beach dives Kamakahonu near King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel.
- Oahu has SNUBA from the beach and also at a beautiful state park Hanauma Bay on the South East side of the island. Hanauma Bay is volcanic crater that has a reef that has attracted thousands of visitors. Due to the number of visitors that have stood all over the coral, much of the inner reef is in poor condition. However, the outer reef is still alive and home to many large fish and turtles. The depths are perfect for SNUBA. In addition, recently there has been a big push to help educate the public about reef conservation and numbers are being limited to help the reef.
- Maui is home to one of the highest concentrations of SNUBA operators in the world. No visit to Muai is complete without a trip to Molokini Crater and Turtle Town. The waters at the crater are crystal clear and home to large fish and the occasional small black tip shark. Turtle Town is often the second stop for boat tours and home to many green sea turtles. Other SNUBA locations are off the beaches on some of Maui's fringing reefs.
- Kauai has one SNUBA operator that provides underwater tours from several beach locations.
- Honduras Gumbalimba Park has reefs with both hard and soft corals. There are also jungle hikes for time out of the water.
- Puerto Rico San Juan's Aqua Adventure's does boat SNUBA dives.
There are so many activities available aboard today's cruise lines it is sometimes hard to choose. The following is a list of cruise lines that offer SNUBA Underwater Tours at some of their destinations. Inquire about SNUBA aboard your cruise.
SNUBA Regional Offices