Rutland is a city of 4,000 people in Vermont. It is a good starting point for exploring the Green Mountains, and is very close to several major ski areas.
Route 4 runs East-West through town and Route 7 runs North-South. Business Route 4 runs along the southern edge of the downtown. Generally, it is a 4 hour drive from New York City, a 3 hour drive from Boston and a 4 hour drive from Montreal.
There is a Greyhound bus terminal at 102 West St, downtown.
The Amtrak station is at 25 Evelyn Place, also downtown, and is served by the Ethan Allen Express, a daily service to and from New York City.
Continental Airlines runs a few flights daily from Boston Logan to Rutland airport (RUT).
Downtown Rutland is easily walkable, but to go anywhere else you'll either need a car or take public transit. There is a local bus service called The Bus. The Bus also runs to Killington for $2.
- Rutland Falls is a nice waterfall just west of town on Otter Creek. It is crossed by a gargantuan railroad bridge and littered with huge slabs of authentic Vermont marble. It is accessible from Old Falls Rd, opposite the junction between Rt 3 and Business Rt 4.
- The Vermont State Fair is held at the racetrack on South Main Street every September.
- Pico Mountain, Phone: +1 802 422-3261, .
There is a wide range of eating options in the Rutland area.
- Hemingway's Restaurant is an excellent four-star restaurant just east of the Killington base road turnoff on Rt 4. Try the chocolate cake.
- The Rutland Herald is the major local paper. It won a Pulitzer Prize in 2001.
- Nearby Proctor, an old marble cutting town, is home to the Vermont Marble Exhibit. The town is pretty and also a little quirky because just about everything is made out of marble. Even the sidewalks.
- Killington, the largest ski resort in the Northeast, is only a 20 minute drive to the east. They offer skiing in the winter and various recreational activities (mountain biking, hiking) in the other months of the year.
|This article is an outline and needs more content. It has a template, but there is not enough information present. Please plunge forward and help it grow!|