Ruidoso  is a town in southeastern New Mexico. Its attractions include pleasant mountain recreation and world-caliber horse racing. During the summer population triples as New Mexicans and Texans arrive to enjoy the horse races, gambling, and cool mountain air.
Ruidoso is on US 70 between Alamogordo and Roswell; the latter has daily air service to Dallas/Fort Worth and four weekly flights to Los Angeles via American Eagle, the regional affiliate of American Airlines. The nearest airports with major commercial air service are in Albuquerque and El Paso, each about 150 miles away.
- Ruidoso Downs Race Track and Casino, in the adjacent village of Ruidoso Downs, . Horse racing from Memorial Day to September, culminating in the major All American Futurity, a $2-million event on Labor Day that bills itself as the richest quarter-horse race in the United States.
- Hubbard Museum of the American West, 841 US 70 West (Ruidoso Downs), +1 575 378-4142, . Open 7 days 9 AM - 5 PM; fee. Includes the Ruidoso Downs Racing Hall of Fame.
- Ruidoso Disc Golf, (Directions: Off of Sudderth Dr. (the main street in Midtown Ruidoso, go (south) on Center St., then (right) on Wingfield St. then (left) on Grindstone Canyon Rd. then (right) on Resort Dr. Course is on the left Hole 1 is left of parking lot below Grindstone Dam.), . 9 hole disc golf, a great and low cost way to enjoy the outdoors with your family. If you don't own any discs, see the above link to pick some up in town. FREE, if you bring your own discs..
- Ruidoso Winter Park - Tubing, (1/4 mile west of Hwy 48 on Ski Run Rd.), ☎ 575-336-7079, . 0am to 5pm, smetimes 9pm.. Magic carpet lifts, be whisked to the top of the hill on a moving conveyor! An area for smaller kids available.
- Lincoln National Forest, . The White Mountain Wilderness is right next to Ruidoso and contains opportunities for all outdoor activities. However, due to severe fire danger there are often restrictions or closures during the summer, the current restrictions should be checked before planning activities in the forest.
- Creme de la Cream, 113 Rio St. Ruidoso, NM 88345 (One block off Sudderth by the river, behind Cafe Rio), ☎ 575-680-1862, . noon-7PM (9pm Fri & Sat). This is a desserts only restaurant with exquisite offerings including cakes, cookies, mousses, Gelato (Italian Ice Cream) and more. Great service and lovely ambiance. Not to be missed. Under $10.
- Story Book Cabins, 410 Main Road, Ruidoso NM 88345, ☎ 888-257-2115, . Upscale rustic knotty pine cabins nestled amid the tall trees of Ruidoso's Upper Canyon. Amenities include full kitchen, washer/dryer, fireplace, hot tub, and deck views of Sierra Blanca. $119 - $349. (33.334137,-105.6918883)
- Forest Home Cabins, 436 Main Road, 575-257-4504, . Describes itself as "1, 2 and 3 bedroom rental cabins offer comfortable lodging with rustic charm.
- Black Bear Lodge, 428 Main Road, +1 877 257-1459, . Describes itself as "a Bed & Breakfast retreat for single adults or couples." All rooms non-smoking.
- Inn of the Mountain Gods, Carrizo Road, +1 800 545-9011, . A well-known casino/resort on the adjacent Mescalero Apache Indian Reservation just south of town.
- Condotel Corporation, 1103 Mechem Drive, +1 800 545-9017, Offers vacation rental condos, cabins, and homes of all sizes throughout the Ruidoso, NM region.
- JD's Tree House,, One of Condotel's vacation rentals, +1 800 545-9017, 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, fireplce, hot tub, in the tall cool pines of Ruidoso, NM.
- Best Western Pine Springs Inn, 1420 W. Highway 70, 888-353-2793, .
- Romantic Ruidoso Cabins, 300 Main Rd, ☎ 800-950-2510, . checkin: 3PM; checkout: 11AM. $99 - $209. (33°20'04.18 N,105°41'23.90 W)
- Ruidoso River Resort & Inn, 206 Eagle Drive, Ruidoso NM 88345 (Off Sudderth, in Midtown, torn at Eagle Drive, near the river), ☎ 877-624-2254, . Beautifully decorated one, two and three bedroom suites with fireplace, flat panel TV, private bath, upscale kitchen, gas BBQ grills, courtyard with waterfall, fire pit and seating area. Starting from $100/day.
- Ruidoso Upper Canyon Lodging Guide, . Directory of fine lodging and budget accommodations in Upper Canyon, Ruidoso, New Mexico, including rental cabins, cottages, inns and lodges.
- Alpine skiing is available at the nearby Ski Apache downhill area, on the Apache Reservation, +1 575 464-3600, . Drive west from Ruidoso on NM 532 to the site.
- Cloudcroft , south of town via NM 244, is another resort town in the Sacramento Mountains with abundant opportunities for outdoor recreation.
- The National Solar Observatory  has a major facility at the mountain-top "town" (really just the observatory and related services) of Sunspot, south of Cloudcroft via NM 6563. Visitors are usually welcome during daylight hours; the facility shares a visitor center  with adjacent Apache Point Observatory.