| || |
/Rovigno is a city in [[Istria]]. The city is officially bilingual (Croatian and Italian). |+|
'''Rovinj''' Rovignois a city in [[Istria]]. The city is officially bilingual (Croatian and Italian).
| || |
Rovinj (Italian: Rovigno) is a city in Istria. The city is officially bilingual (Croatian and Italian).
Rovinj is served by Pula airport approximately 30 km south. The easiest way to reach Rovinj from the airport is to drive - the journey takes approximately 40 minutes. There are also buses from Central Pula.
The old town and the surrounding area are small, and are easily accessible on foot. Bicycle hire is quite inexpensive in Rovinj and there are very good cycle tracks up and down the coast.
There is a daily ferry to Venice from the harbour in Rovinj. The ferry takes about 2 hours and takes you to almost the centre of Venice. There are also taxi boats and excursions to St Katherine's Island, in the harbour.
The old town is best explored on foot. Worth seeing are the original entrance into the city, the Balbi Arch; the market at Valdibora; the cathedral of Sv. Euphemia; the artists' street of Grisia, described as "Rovinj's Montmartre"; and the harbour in the centre of the town.
- Walk around in the old town.
- Climb the tower of the old church in the middle of the old town.
- Shop for truffles, olive oil, seafood or fruit and veg in the open air market, between 7am and 4pm.
- Cycle there are miles of cycle tracks to the south through pine forest that follow the coast line. Cycle Hire is relatively cheap for good quality bikes.
There is a big climbing area just half an hour by foot from the city centre (follow signs to the Park Hotel, then 10 minutes further down the road).
There are several other climbing areas in the region, but you need a car to get there:
- Calisona, Trg Pignaton 1 (Opposite the museum). Multilingual menu, with pizza, pasta, risotto, as well as speciality meat and fish dishes. Reasonable prices, excellent service. Sit and watch everyone go by, located just away from the crowded seafront squares. 40-120kn.
- Neptun, Joakima Rakovca. 11am - 10pm. Quiet, quirky restaurant specialising in seafood, pizzas and veal cooked in the peka - a slow-cooking method using live coals and a long-handled pan. You need to order two days in advance for this. main course 45-120kn.
- Villa Baron Gautsch, (follow the signs to the Park Hotel located in the same street), ☎ +385-52-814042 (fax: +385-52-840537), . Nice guesthouse with very friendly personal. Clean, small rooms, single rooms available. Between 20 and 37 € per day and person including breakfast, depending on the season.
- Rovinj Apartments, Joakima Rakovca, . A small but attractive apartment with a great view over the harbour towards the old town and the cathedral. Cheap.