The Trevi district of central Rome is so named after the city's best known and grandest fountain, the Fontana di Trevi (Trevi Fountain).
- the Fontana di Trevi (Trevi Fountain), Piazza di Trevi - completed in 1762 to a design by Nicola Salvi, this spectacular Baroque fountain features a mythological sculptural composition of Neptune, god of the sea, flanked by two Tritons: one Triton labours to control a violent sea-horse, the other controls a pacified creature, both symbolising the dual nature of the world's oceans. The location of the Trevi fountain marks the terminus of the ancient Aqua Virgo aqueduct, completed in 19 BCE in order to supply the Baths of Agrippa, and is so named on account of its position at the junction of three roads (tre vie). The fountain has been made even more famous as the target for the Three Coins in the Fountain, soaking the actress Anita Ekberg in Federico Fellini's film La Dolce Vita. According to popular superstition and custom, throwing coins with one's right hand over one's left shoulder into the Trevi Fountain is a practice endowed with good luck. Throwing one coin ensures that the thrower will return to Rome; throwing two coins will ensure that the thrower will fall in love with a beautiful Roman girl (or handsome boy); throwing three coins, finally, ensures that the thrower will marry that girl or boy in Rome itself.
Museums and Galleries
- Museo delle Paste Alimentari, Piazza Scanderberg 117, tel 06 699 1119, open daily 9.30am-5.30pm, closed public holidays - a museum devoted to pasta, Italy's premier gift to world cuisine
- Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain (or two, or three....) - it's supposed to be good luck! (See above, under See - At the very least, it should ensure your eventual return to Rome....)
- Residence Colonna, Via del Corso 315/A, ([email protected]), . In Via del Corso, main artery of the historical center. Between the Fountain of Trevi and the Pantheon, Piazza Navona and the Spanish Steps.
- Hotel Nazionale, Piazza Montecitorio, 131, ☎ +39 06.695001 ([email protected], fax: +39 06.6786677), .