| || |
| || |
Revision as of 15:23, 27 April 2010
The North of Rome is comprised of Municipi 4, 15–20.
- Temple of Apollo, Isola Farnese (Take the Via Cassia north of Rome to Torrione Cerquetta and then turn right to Isola Farnese.). Veio or Veii was a major Etruscan city until its defeat at the hands of the Romans in 396 BC. These days there is little left to see but a few ruins, although the area has yielded up many excellent artifacts that are now mainly in the Etruscan museum at Villa Giulia in Rome. The surrounding area is a national park that contains Etruscan ruins that, for the most part, are not easily accessible. 
- Olympic Stadium (Stadio Olimpico). The stadium is on the west bank of River Tiber, about three km directly north of the Vatican. It is part of a sports complex that was built for the 1960 Olympic Games, including the Olympic swimming pool and the tennis complex where the annual ATP/WTA Italian Open is held. The main stadium holds more than 80,000 and was extensively rebuilt, with a roof added, for the 1990 World Cup (soccer) finals.
- Take in a soccer match at the Stadio Olimpico. The stadium is shared by Rome's two main teams, Rome and Lazio, usually playing there on alternate Sunday afternoons, with occasional games on Saturday or Sunday evenings or midweek evenings. Games between these two clubs are well worth avoiding as they often turn violent but the stadium is rarely full for other matches. However, past crowd troubles mean that you can no longer just turn up: you need to buy tickets in advance at one of the agencies around town, and show some ID when you do!
- Casetta di Campagna, Via Affogalasino, 40 ((Casetta Mattei-Trullo)), ☎ +39 06 6574 3230, . Closed on Monday. Sunday, Saturday and holidays also open at noon. In the natural park Valle dei Casali they have very good meat. They also offer a fixed price menu for pizza (only for more than 4 people) which is good for a large gathering dinner. You need a car to reach the place.
- La Pergola, Hotel Cavalieri Hilton, Via A. Cadlolo 101, ☎ 06-35092152. Tue-Sat 7:30pm-12am; closed Aug 8-Aug 23. Awarded three stars in the Guide Rouge. The chef, Heinz Beck, is German in origin and has set a style which combines Italian fresh produce with exceptional creativity and presentation. The restaurant overlooks Rome, so be sure to get a table by the window. The wine cellar is exceptional. Expect to have to book months in advance, but the trip is well worth it. mains €35-50; set menu €130-150.
- Taverna Pio Bove, Via Alessandro Cruto 9 (Bus 128, 775), ☎ +39 06 553 011 35. Open at 7PM everyday. Good steak house in the suburbs, but not too far from Basilica di San Paolo fuori le mura.
- Vivi Bistrot, Via Vitellia, 102 (VillaPamphili), ☎ +39 06 58 27 540, . In the Villa Pamphili park, this new bistrot offers healthy food suitable for children as well. Useful for arranging a picnic in the park.
- Yesh', Via Silvestro Gherardi 51, ☎ +39 06 858 00315, . Kosher steak house.
- Casa Frida (next to Vatican), Via Emo, 97, ☎ +39 339 2768290, . checkin: 12.00; checkout: 10.00. Holiday House. From € 70.
- Grand Hotel Fleming, Piazza Monteleone di Spoleto, 20, ☎ +39 06 3337264, . Despite the "Grand Hotel" this is an inexpensive hotel located just north of the river Tiber. 300 bedrooms. Relatively close to Stadio Olimpico for football, Stadio Flaminia for rugby and the Auditorium. Around €40 for a single and €50 for a double..
- Roma Point Hotel, Via Flaminia 988, ☎ +39 3476036461, . Four star accommodation with 27 bedrooms divided in single, double, triple and suites. All with private bathrooms and located behind the Olympic and Flaminio stadiums. Average rates for a single and a double room starting from 45 and 60 euros..
- Tempio di Apollo Hotel, Piazza della Colonnetta, 8, ☎ tel. +39 6 30890595 ([email protected]), . Newly renovated, some rooms have air conditioning. €60-120.
- Hotel Aurelius Rome – Via Aurelia 458 - Cap: 00165, Rome, Italy. . Telephone +39 06 6624500 • Fax +39 06 62202701. The Aurelius is a four star hotel with 26 single, twin, double and triple bedrooms with private bath and shower. All rates include breakfast: 115 euros for a single and 130 for a double.