Roche Harbor is a small town on the northwest coast of San Juan Island, namesake of the picturesque San Juan Islands group. It has a bustling yacht harbor and floatplane service to Seattle. It makes a good base for exploring San Juan Island.
- Kenmore Air, ☎ +1-877-359-5366 ([email protected], fax: +1-425-485-4774), . Float plans make to seven flights from Lake Union in Seattle to Roche Harbor marina and Friday Harbor, and then return. Shuttles can bring you from Seattle-Tacoma airport to Lake Union. A spectular, though not cheap, way to arrive. $75-139.
- Take the ferry or a plane to Friday Harbor, at the other end of the island, and then a 15-minute taxi ride to Roche Harbor.
- San Juan Island Transit, . Bus service between Friday Harbor, Roche Harbor, and other island destinations. 20 minutes. Runs up to once every hour during the day at peak season. $5 (adult).
- If you have access to a yacht, come in the marina.
- If you have an airplane, Roche Harbor has a small, private paved airstrip.
Roche Harbor is small enough that you can walk everywhere. The whole town is oriented around the harbour, and the hotels and docks that surround it.
- Sculpture Garden, opposite the airport. Dozens of sculptures in over 10 acres. $5.
- The marina is the heart of town. It is jammed with a variety of pleasure boats. The ambience is very pleasant, especially when the weather is fine. See the toilet service boat, M.V. Phecal Freak (motto: "we take crap from anyone" — really!)
- Lime Kiln Cafe. A delightful setting at the end of an old wharf. Very pleasant in the summer. $10-15 for lunch and soft drink, including tip and tax.
Bicycling is very pleasant on San Juan Island. There are various bike rental options, including one by the airport. (It also rents motor scooters and jeeps.)
One of the beaches on San Juan Island is a great place to watch orcas (whales).