Rincon de la Vieja Vulcano Activity in the National Park
Rincón de la Vieja Volcano National Park (Parque Nacional Rincon de la Vieja) is a park covering a dry tropical forest region of in Guanacaste, centered around the Volcano, Rincón de la Vieja, and the surrounding volcanic and natural features. Sights include an extraordinary amount of interesting flora and fauna, as well as plenty of hot bubbling sulphurous mud pits and a little "mini-volcano."
The closest park to the Papagayo, Coco, Hermosa, Flamingo, Tamarindo area. This park has lots of volcanic activity, fumaroles, boiling mud pots, vapor vents, sulfur vents, forests, wild life. Great for a one day tour with the whole family. There are more complicated trails for expert hikers as well, like the crater top or the sulfur springs "Los Azufrales". There is a convenience at the entrance of the park with bathrooms. The park is closed on Mondays.
Flora and fauna
The park is accessible only by car. From Liberia it's 5 km north up the Inter-American Highway, turn right (east) towards Curubande and head 17 km, then keep going until you pass through Hacienda Guachipelin. The park hours are 7:30AM-5PM Tu-Su.
Be certain you have a spare tire and jack in your car. The gravel road has many sharp edges to the gravel. A two wheel drive can make the journey weather permitting. A four wheel drive car is advisable during the wet season.
The entrance fee is $10.
- Adventure Tours, Hacienda Guachipelin, Rincon de la Vieja National Park (Next to Rincon de la Vieja National Park, from Liberia 5 km north, turn right 17 km towards the National Park.), ☎ +506 2665-2613, +506 2256-5693, . The best one day tours in the area. From soft to hard adventure, hot springs, mud springs, horseback rides, canopy tours, white water tubing, canyoning, hiking, bird watching, wildlife and cultural activities. There is a full day package that includes a buffet style lunch. There are tours for different budgets starting at $25.
- Restaurante La Hacienda, (Rinon de la Vieja, at Guachipelin's main entrance), ☎ +506 2665-2613. 6:30AM to 9PM. Restaurant with panoramic view of the coast line and the flat lands. from $10.
Laguna on the grounds of Hacienda Guachipelin
- Blue River Resort & Hot Springs, (Drive north from Liberia along Panamerican, take exit at Quebrada Grande and follow signs),), ☎ +506 2206-5000. North base of Rincon de la Vieja volcano national park in the rainforest - Cabins among 4 natural mineral hot springs pools, a fresh water pool with a bullet waterslide, full service a spa, botanical gardens, butterfly farm, tours to volcanic blue river, waterfalls, horseback riding, nature hikes and much more.
- BuenaVista Lodge, In Liberia, from Burger King 13 kilometers on the Interamericana road, towards Peñas Blancas, until you get to the entrance of Cañas Dulces –only entrance towards the east- (on the right hand side) that is paved, then you drive 18 kilometers towards the towns of Cañas Dulces and Buena Vista that are on the way, ☎ +506-2665-7759, . checkin: 2PM; checkout: 12 noon. Presents the daily life in a Hacienda in Guanacaste. Has operated under sustainable tourism principles since 1991. Adventures tours are available in the hotel. US$36.
- Hotel Hacienda Guachipelin, Rincon de la Vieja, Guanacaste, Costa rica (From Liberia take road #1, 5 Km. turn right at Rincon de la Vieja Entrance 17 km, passing a gated entrance.), ☎ +506 2256-5693, . checkin: 2PM; checkout: 12 noon. Nested in a hacienda at the base of the most visited volcano in Guanacaste. Still operating as a traditional cattle ranch. Closest hotel to National Park Rincon de la Viejat. Tours for all ages, from soft to hard adventure. Hiking, horseback rides, canopy tours, canyoning and white water tubing. US$44. (10.751439,85.379691)
- Bourinquen Resort & Spa, Rincon de la Vieja (Liberia, Guanacaste), ☎ +506 2690-1900, . checkin: 2pm; checkout: 12:00 noon. Opened in 1999. Take advantage of the curative properties that have long been attributed to mineral rich waters and mud-pots. 2 bungalow rooms with facilities as well as 1 Jr. Suite. Have 100% accessible rooms and public areas including the restaurant La Carreta, front desk and lobby, pool, spa, stables and other surrounding areas and strive to cope with any special needs. 5 room styles, can cater to weddings and special events.