Rhodes  is the largest settlement and capital city of the island of the same name. It is famous as the former site of the Colossus, one of the seven wonders of the ancient world.
Ancient windmills in Rhodes
The only airport of the island is the Diagoras International Airport. From there, you can reach Rhodes city with a bus, car or taxi.
In the Old Town, the primary method of travel are your feet :)
The Avenue of the Knights in Rhodes Old Town
Rhodes Old Town, a UNESCO World Heritage Site , is one of the best preserved and most extensive medieval towns in Europe. It iss also the location of many monuments and several museums - make sure to get a good map. If you want to see it all, plan for at least a day, and two will not be amiss if you want to see all the museums.
- Rhodes Archaeological Museum, Megalou Alexandrou Square, Τ.Κ. 85100, Rhodes tel +30 22410 75674, +30 22410 34719 fax: +30 22410 31048 email: [email protected] . During the season, it is open till 8 p.m. Entry is 3E. It has two floors, and most of the exhibits are on the second, past the big stairs.
The museum operates a tour of the city walls Tuesdays and Saturdays at 8 am leaving from the Palace of the Grand Masters. This is not really a guided tour: visitors are simply allowed up on the walls to walk along the top of them at their own pace. This walk offers views of the town not otherwise available and is the best way to get an idea of the size of the town and the variety of its architecture.
- Byzantine Museum
- Museum of Decorative Art
- Palace of the Grand Master of the Knights of Rhodes - can be split into outside, courtyard, outside wall, first floor and second floor. Open in season till 8.p.m., entry is 6E, outside wall is an additional 2E. First floor (photos prohibitted :( ) contains some artifacts of Ancient Rhodes - Archaeological Museum offers more selection and allows photos. Second floor has a variety of later artifacts, but it has almost no descriptions (probably to force people to wait for a tour guide).
- Colorful sea shells offered for sale - mostly in the harbour area - are often actually imported from Asia or the Caribbean. Not only do they make no authentic Rhodes souvenir, many species for sale are also protected and bringing them back home may get you into considerable difficulty
- Many brand name products for sale in the tourist shops may be fakes and/or unlicensed (t-shirts, towels, hand bags, and so on)
- Labyrinthos Arts & Crafts, Theofiliskou 1 (near Roloi clocktower). Original arts and creations by local artists, also the only place in the Old Town to sell historically accurate coat of arms of the Knights and medieval style heraldry and illuminated manuscripts.
Mikes (which is not the name Mike's but a Greek name prounounced MEE-kehs) is a hole-in-the-wall place (though with outdoor seating) in a tiny lane near 17 Socratous Street, which serves fish, salad, and wine, and not much else. A very simple restaurant but pleasant, and the seafood is of impeccable quality and well though simply prepared. A good budget choice in Old Town.
Hatzikelis Solomou Alhadef 9 tel +30 22410 27215 is one of the best tavernas, serving innovations on traditional Greek dishes; the stuffed, roasted eggplant is notable.
Laganis Solomou Alhadef 16 is a more traditional taverna with good mezedhes.
The Turkish Cafe at 76 Sokratous is a rare, wonderfully atmospheric survival of old Rhodes in the middle of the tourist hordes. Run by a charming couple, it serves excellent coffee and a small range of other drinks, but not much food except for a few snacks.
- Alia Hotel, Haraki, ([email protected]). checkin: noon; checkout: noon. €35 incl. breakfast.
- Apollo Guesthouse, omirou 28-C, Rhodes (About a 10 minute walk south of the St John's gate in Old Town), ☎ +30 22410. 32003. checkin: Afternoon; checkout: 12:00pm. $35-$60 per person.
- Europa Hotel, 28th october str. no 94, Rhodes (Psaropoula area, 1.5km from harbor). checkin: 12:00pm; checkout: 12:00pm. $50-$100 per person a night..
- Mango Rooms, Sq. Dorieos 3, Rhodes (Located in Old Town square, behind San Fanourios church). checkin: 1:00pm; checkout: 12:00pm. $25-$50 per person for a double room, depending on season. Nice man Dimitrius and his family run this hotel in the middle of the walled town..
- Rodos Youth Hostel, Ergiou 12 Rhodes Old Town, ☎ +302241030491, . Backpackers hostel in Rhodes Old Town. Excellent location. Very basic facilities. €10.
- The Spot Hotel Perikleus Street 21, Old Town, Rhodes tel. +30 22410 34737 e-mail: [email protected]  is a simple, well run hotel with prices that are a bargain for Rhodes and an excellent location on a street that's quiet yet in the center of the crowded Old Town.