| || |
Reynosa has recently experienced turmoil as federal police continue their crackdown on the Gulf Cartel drug traffickers.
It is not advisable to be out on the streets or cross through the city after dark , and most businesses now close by 10pm with frequent military stops and searches occurring after that time. Reynosa's police chief was arrested by federales in March 2008 on suspicion of corruption. Approach Reynosa with caution at this time. |+|
Reynosa has recently experienced turmoilas federal police continue their crackdown on the Gulf Cartel drug traffickers. the streetsthrough the city after darkbusinesses now close by frequent military stops and searches after that time. police Reynosa with caution.
| || |
Revision as of 19:56, 5 November 2012
Reynosa is a city of 490,000 people in Tamaulipas, Mexico. It lies across the border from McAllen, Texas.
Reynosa has a long history of being unnoticed. It was just a part of land that many people in the past had fought for. Reynosa was first noticed on 6 July 1686, a long exploring expedition was held by Mr. Agustin Echeverz and Zuvízar, Governor of Nuevo Reino de León and is commanded by Captain Alonso, and they camped on the hills where Reynosa is located today. In December 1748, an expedition led by Colonel Jose de Escandon wanted to establish a new province plan to create 14 villages, including that of Reynosa. The convoy consisted of 1500 settlers and 755 soldiers. In September 1800, a flood occurred that literally swept people off the land; people were saved in canoes and rafts, taking refuge in the hills of El Morrillo. Then, later in 1802, the people in Reynosa relocated. By November 24, 1926, Reynosa is finally elevated back to the way the city was and prospering since.
Reynosa is located at 26 º 05 'north latitude and 98 º 18' west longitude at an altitude of 38 meters above sea level. It is within the northern part of Tamaulipa, Mexico.
In 1990, Reynosa had a population of 282,667 inhabitants. Since then, the population has practically doubled by having 607,532 inhabitants in 2010.
You can get to Reynosa by plane, car, or bus.
Reynosa's small regional airport is General Lucio Blanco Airport (IATA: REX), it is located about 5 miles southeast of downtown on Mexico Highway 2 (also known as "Libramiento Monterrey" at this point). The airport handles domestic flights only and is served by three carriers: Alma, Volaris, and Click Mexicana.
U.S. passengers can fly into neighboring McAllen (IATA: MFE), which is served by Allegiant, Continental and American, and then take a taxi or city bus to the Hidalgo border crossing.
From points in south Texas, take U.S. 83 to McAllen and then exit at 23rd Street (route 115) and head south about 6 miles to the international bridge checkpoint at Hidalgo.
From points in Mexico:
- Mexico Highway 2 runs parallel to the border and can be used to reach Reynosa from other border cities.
- Mexico Highway 40 (toll road) can be used to reach Reynosa via Monterrey. The toll is 180 pesos.
The Aduana office to get car import permits is on Alvaro Obregon, just a few blocks to the left as you cross into Reynosa (go left on Miguel Aleman --- it turns into Obregon --- the office is on your left just after you round the bend).
It takes about 2 hours to get from McAllen, TX to Reynosa, Tamoulipas, including the wait for the bus.
There are many things to do around Reynosa,including going to church, swimming in the public pool, going out to eat the best fresh tamales... but in order to get to all these fun places you could either: walk,(many people don't have a car)drive, take the bus, or bike. It is said to be that in some parts of Mexico like Reynosa, they don't respect bicyclers or walkers that are on the street. That is why the choices for most people really narrow down to: drive, or take the bus. Of course many people risk their lives and still walk or bike in the streets,but majority does not. Despite all of the danger, Reynosa is a beautiful city to visit and Latinos enjoy it as is.
There are not that many historical things in Reynosa, Mexico to see. However, there are a few historical monuments like A Juárez, Hidalgo and Morelos. Also, there is a Architectural monument, Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe, which was built in 1810; it has a neoclassical style.
Another thing that tourists could look forward to are the popular festivities: Harvest Fair each year in August. The feast of the Virgin of Guadalupe starts on March 5th. During that time tourists can see several groups of dancers perform their dances as they wear very colorful outfits.
- Boy's Town- a region in Reynosa where men tend to go to enjoy prostitutes, bars, and the nightlife.
- Streets/Shops- most tourists roam around in Reynosa to enjoy the small shops to buy things and practice their negotiating skills with prices.
- Border Crossing- people cross the U.S./Mexican Border to enjoy vice versa. Due to the fact that Reynosa is practically on the border, Texas is well visited as well, keeping in mind about abiding with the state laws of course.
Universities in the Area: They are all public universities
- Universidad Autónoma de Tamaulipas Reynosa-Rodhe (UAT)  Autonomous University of Tamaulipas
- Universidad Tecnologica de Tamaulipas Norte (UTT) 
- Universidad Valle del Bravo 
- Universidad Autónoma de Tamaulipas Reynosa-Aztlan (UAT)  Autonomous University of Tamaulipas
- Instituto Politécnico Nacional (IPN) National Polytechnic Institute
- Universidad Miguel Alemán
- Universidad Tamaulipeca 
- Universidad Mexico Americana del Norte, A.C. (UMAN) 
- Universidad TecMilenio cmilenio.edu.mx/
- Instituto Tecnologico de Reynosa 
- Universidad Interamericana del Norte Campus Reynosa 
- Universidad Interamericana para el Desarrollo 
- Universidad Pedagogia Nacional (UPN)  National University of Education Sciences
- Centro de Biotecnología Genómica 
Casa de cultura,Reynosa,Tamps.- If you are looking for somewhere to send your kid during the summer Casa de tortura is open for them. There you sing,dance, do art, and theatre. For the most part the staff is very nice and excepts kids from everwhere, but i was not pleased with one of the staffs racism. At the end they have a wonderful show for parents and you can get snacks from a vending machine after lunch :)
- Universidad Academica Multidisciplinaria 
If you go to the Reynosa Gobierno Municipal Website  and go to "Job Opportunities," Reynosa makes it available for residents to apply for any available jobs. This is an easy and simple way for people to find and apply for jobs; meanwhile, it makes it easy for the employers to look for employees.
There are a wide range of shops in Reynosa, varying from supermarkets, to crafts markets selling little nik-naks for tourists. Reynosa is near the pedestrian-only Hidalgo shopping street connecting Plaza Principal to Zaragoza Market. This bazaar is filled with Mexican handcrafts, from colorful woven blankets and baskets to kitschy sombreros and miniature guitars. Many tourists are attracted to shops such as this because tourists wherever they go, they want to purchase something to remember the place by, or as gifts for friends and family.
Reynosa is a city that is not distant from the U.S. Border; so although, there are many Mexican authentic restaurants and chain fast foods found in the U.S. as well. For example, Burger King, Chili's, Subway
- Applebee's, Blvd. Morelos 183 Col.: Prolongacion Longoria, ☎ +52 (899) 925-5527.
- Bigos, Tiburcio Garza Zamora Street # 325 Col. Rodriguez Reynosa, Tamaulipas, ☎ +52 (899) 930-0361, .
- Buffet China, Blvd. Hidalgo 1090 Col. Del Valle, ☎ +52(899)924-2968.
- Burger King, Blvd. Hidalgo y Praxedis Balboa, Local 9, Centro Comercial Soriana, ☎ +52(899)924-7431. There are also several other ones located at Peatonal Hidalgo 735 entre Matamoros y Guerrero (Phone#: 922-9496) and Blvd. Morelos y Calle 11, Col. Ampliación Longoria (Phone#:925-1007)
- Cabritos Nuevo León, Blvd. Hidalgo 450 Col. Bella Vista, ☎ +52(899)925-5722, . 8am-11pm. A fusion between Spanish and Aztec cuisine to give rise to Mexican cuisine.
- Chili's, Blvd. Hidalgo No. 101 Local 1 Col. Las Fuentes, ☎ +52(899)925-8318.
- Las Chalupas, Paris esq. con Havre no.520 Col. Beaty, ☎ +52(899)922-8595.
- El Pastorcito, Paris esq. con Havre no.520 Col. Beaty, ☎ +52(899)922-9245.
- Café París, Hidalgo 960 Zona Centro, ☎ +52(899)922-1068.
- Café Rey, Blvd. Morelos 710 Esq. con Nuevo León Col. Rodríguez, ☎ +52(899)924-3166.
- El Buen Gusto, Calle 3a. No. 505 Col. Las Lomas, ☎ +52(899)923-9097.
- El Estudiante Burritos y Hamburgesas, Jazmín 334 Col. Jarachina Nte., ☎ +52(899)929-1782. Other branches (address and phone number): San Jose 317 Col. Jarachina Sur [929-1683], Margarita Maza de Juarez s.n. Col.Juárez [957-3784], Calle Ocho 342 Col. Longoria [924-4112], Rio San Juan 922 L-4Col. Fuentes Secc. Lomas [995-5373]
- El Gaucho'n, Oaxaca y Sinaloa Col. Rodriguez, ☎ +52(899)922-2724.
- El Huachinango, Rio Mante Col. Logoria, ☎ +52(899)923-7157.
- El Mezquite Parrillada, Rosalinda Guerrero 220-B Col. Prol. Longoria, ☎ +52(899)925-4320, 925-4310.
- El Pollo Felíz, Blvd. Morelos No. 100 Esq. Con H. Deandar Amador Col. Doctores, ☎ +52(899)180-0455.
- El Patio, Blvd. Hidalgo y Rio Mante Col. Longoria, ☎ +52(899)924-2000.
- El Fogoncito, Blvd. Hidalgo km.104 Col. Fuentes del Valle, ☎ +52(899)922-1727.
- Go-Go Shushi, Rio Purificacion Esq. Con Calle 9 Col. Prol. Longoria, ☎ +52(899)923-1696.
- Gorditas Doña Tota, Soriana Hidalgo Col. Hidalgo, ☎ +52(899)923-5797. Other Branches (Addresses and Phone Numbers): Soriana Morelos (926-0624), Soriana Ribereña (925-5168), Soriana Juarez Col. Juárez (955-0842), H.E.B. Morelos (924-7121), Calle 20 Col. Aztlán (924-6026), Calle San Roberto Y Tecnologico Av. Tecnologico Col. Jarachina Sur (929-4006), Col. Petrolera (930-9460)
- La Fogata de Reynosa, Matamoros 750 Esq. J.B. Chapa Zona Centro, ☎ +52(899)922-8216, 922-4772.
- La Quinta, Blvd. Morelos 1850 Col. Ampliacion Rodriguez, ☎ +52(899)924-8065, 924-8066.
- Las Ensaladas, Ejercito Nacional Esq. Con Brasil Local 1 Col. Anzalduas, ☎ +52(899)922-5254. Other Branches (Addresses and Phone Numbers): Blvd. Las Fuentes y Calle 9a Col. Fuentes (925-2562), Ave. Las Lomas 701 Col. Jarachina Sur (995-1233)
- Mansion del Prado, Emilio Portes Gil y PJ Mendez Col. Del Prado, ☎ +52(899)922-1025, 922-9914.
- Merequetengue, Calle Oaxaca Col. Rodriguez, ☎ +52(899)922-4926.
- Mi Viejo Pueblito, Oaxaca 219 Ote. Col. Rodriguez, ☎ +52(899)922-3991.
- Pingüino Restaurant, Juarez 890 Nte. Zona Centro, ☎ +52(899)922-7827.
- Siempre Natural, Puente Internacional Col. Medardo González, ☎ +52(899)922-6830.
- Subway, Brasil No. 711 Col. Anzalduas, ☎ +52(899)922-6204. Other Locations (Addresses and Phone Number): Zaragoza 640-B Zona Centro (930-0997), Blvd. Las Fuentes 905-C Col. Fuentes Secc. Lomas (951-9806)
Reynosa is known to be "Boys' Town", an area where prostitution is legal and where they can go to bars and nightclubs.
- La Concha, Echeverria Con Privada Poniente Internacional Reynosa, Tamaulipas, 88500, ☎ +52 (899) 922-3360.
- Agave Blu, ☎ +52(899) 930-0307.
- La Cucaracha, Calle Aldama No. 1000, Zona Centro Cd. Reynosa, Tamps., ☎ +52(899) 922-0174, .
- City Express, Blvd. Miguel Hidalgo 480.
- Holiday Inn Reynosa Zona Dorada, Emilio Portes Gil Prado Sur, ☎ 899-921-6500. Very new, modern hotel in the heart of Reynosa, near restaurants, clubs, etc. About 1 mile from the international bridge.
- Holiday Inn Reynosa, Emilio Portes Gil Prado Sur, ☎ +52(877)859-5095, . $56-93 ave. price/night.
- Hampton Inn by Hilton Reynosa/Zona Industrial, Carr Reynosa-Monterrey 1000 | Plaza Periferico, ☎ +52(899) 970-0100, . Each room comes with a king or queen-size bed(s), 32-inch LCD TV sets, and individual air-conditioning and heating unit. Services: Buffet breakfast included, toll-free 800 and local calls, broadband Internet access, and free transportation within 10 km (about 6 miles). Airport shuttle. A Fitness Center, Free Parking, and a Swimming Pool are also available. $75-$92 ave. price/night.
- City Express Reynosa, Blvd. Miguel Hidalgo 480, ☎ +52(899) 921-2400, . Amenities: Bar/Lounge, Business Center, Fitness Center, Free Breakfast, Free high-speed Internet, wheelchair accessible $68-$84 ave. price/night.
- Fiesta Inn Reynosa, Carr. Monterrey-Reynosa, km 212 | Frente Col. Valle Alto, Reynosa 88746, Mexico, ☎ +52(866)538-0187, . Property Amenities: Fitness Center, Business Center, Bar/Lounge, Restaurant, Shuttle Bus Service, Swimming Pool, Wheel Chair Accessible $69-$102 ave. price/night.
- Howard Johnson Royal Garden Reynosa, Boulevard Hidalgo 1165, ☎ +52 (899)923-6100. checkin: 12:30pm. Property Amenities: Business Center, Fitness Center, Restaurants, Shuttle Bus Service, Swimming Pool. Wheel Chair Accessible $70-$93 ave. price/night.
- Best Western El Camino and Suites, Blvd Hidalgo 1480 Col Del Vall, ☎ +52(899)923-0791, . checkin: till 3:00am; checkout: 11am. Services & Amenities: Complimentary continental breakfast, Restaurant on-site, Outdoor pool, Hot tub, 24-hour front desk, Multilingual staff, Wedding services, Doctor on-call, 24- hour security, Exercise facility, Free parking, Airport courtesy shuttle available, Meeting/Business facilities, Computer available, High-speed Internet access $66 Nightly Rate.
- One Reynosa Valle Alto, Av de los Encinos 1000, . Services & Amenities: Free Breakfast, On-Site Restaurants, Wheel Chair Accessible, Meeting/Business Rooms, Wireless Internet, Money Exchange, Nonsmoking rooms $54-$64 ave. price/night.
- Hacienda, Blvd. Hidalgo No. 2013 Col. Hidalgo CP, ☎ +52(899) 924-6010, .
- Posada San Antonio, Zaragoza No. 660 Zona Centro CP 88500, ☎ +52(899) 930-1848, .
- Astromundo, Juarez No. 675 Zona Centro CP 88500, ☎ +52(899) 922-5625, .
Reynosa has recently experienced turmoil, as federal police continue their crackdown on the Gulf Cartel drug traffickers. Stay off the streets, and avoid passing through the city after dark. Most businesses now close by 10 p.m., and there are frequent military stops and searches after that time. The police are quite corrupt so approach Reynosa with caution.
- United States, Calle Monterrey 390 (corner with Sinaloa), Col. Rodríguez, ☎ +52 899 923-9331 ([email protected], fax: +52 899 923-9245), .