The Red Sea Coast is a region of eastern Egypt, following the shoreline of the Red Sea for 800 km (500 miles) from Suez in the north to the Sudanese border in the south. It is Egypt's fastest developing area for overseas travelers and is best known for its warm climate year-round, for its clear azure waters, for its beach resorts and - given the presence of many species of exotic fish and coral - for its value as a diving destination.
Note that Egypt's Sinai peninsula also borders the Red Sea, but is considered a separate region.
From North to South:
- Hurghada : City, Major destination, 36 Km of seashore; 455 Km away from Cairo, 380 Km south of Suez; Intl. airport is approx. 10 Km away (located in south-western tip of the city.
- El Gouna : Resorts town, 25 Km north of Hurghada, 340 Km South of Suez, 432 Km from Cairo.
- Makadi Bay : Resorts town, about 30 Km south of Hurghada, 484 Km from Cairo.
- Soma Bay : Resorts town, 45 km south of Hurghada Int. Airport. 20 Km North of Safaga, 500 Km from Cairo.
- Safaga : Port town, 53 Km south of Hurghada int. airport, 87 Km north of El Quseir, 164 Km from Qena, 504 from Cairo.
- El Quseir : 591 Km from Cairo, 138 Km south of Hurghada, 139 km north of Marsa Alam, 73 km north of the Marsa Alam Intl. Airport.
- Marsa Alam : 730 Km from Cairo, 285 Km South of Hurghada, 139 Km South of Quseir, 60-65 Km South of Marsa Alam int. Airport.
- Port Ghalib : Resort community, 18 Km shoreline, 67 Km south of El Quseir, 72 Km North of Marsa-Alam proper, few Km from Marsa Alam intl. Airport, 667 Km from Cairo.
The Following are destinations on the Red Sea in the Sinai region but are not part of the Red Sea Coast Region:
Long-distance taxis and buses will get you from city to city quite easily. Buying the ticket might be frustrating and expensive when you are a tourist. Ask someone in your hotel of the restaurant you frequent to buy it for you. They may take a little commission on the ticket, but it saves you a lot of hassle.
- Badawia Resort Marsa Alam, ☎ (+2010) 250 55 60, . Badawia Resort serene beauty and quiet escape is mesmerizing. Situated on 150.000 square meters of gardens and lagoon between the famous Red Sea chain of mountains and the magnificent Red Sea. Includes pools, beach, and simplicity of its decor. It is located 210 km south of Hurghada International Airport or 19km south of Marsa Alam International Airport. ″.
- The Aleph Collective at Camp Emy, 14 kilometers south of Marsa Alam, . Aleph is an open collective, a 'cultural convergence' situated at Camp Emy on the Red Sea.