Rügen is Germany's largest island. It is situated in the Baltic Sea in the region of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania.
- Peninsula Mönchgut / Granitz
- Peninsula Wittow/Jasmund
- North West Rügen
- South Rügen
- Central/ Bergen
- Island Hiddensee
- The Chalk cliffs of Königsstuhl
- Prora, the ruins of world's largest hotel which, however, was never used.
- Jasmund National Park
Rügen is Germany's largest island. It is known for its sandy beaches and chalk cliffs. Cape Arkona, the northernmost place in East Germany, is situated on Rügen.
The language mostly spoken on Rügen is German, but most people speak some English, although perhaps fewer than in other parts of Germany. The island was for more than 40 years part of East Germany, when the first foreign language taught in schools was Russian.
You should get by with phrase-book German.
You can get in by car along Germany's longest bridge from Stralsund on the German mainland, or you can take the ferry from Trelleborg in southern Sweden.
There is also a regional train connection from Stralsund to Sassnitz and Ostseebad Binz, some long distance trains travel to Ostseebad Binz.
Three major ship-owners operates ferries to and from Sassnitz:
There is also a cable ferry from Stahlbrode near Greifswald to Glewitz on Rügen.
- Historic Gutshaus (Gut Grubnow), Grubnow 7 (Neuenkirchen Rugen), ☎ 01724020280. The historical Gutshaus Grubnow could be traced back to 1836. The original buildings were altered significantly during the centuries. Today, the "Gutsanlage" is embossed by the Gutshaus Grubnow that was build around 1920 for the son of Knighthood Erich Kroos who previously lived at neighbouring Gut Lebbin. The Gutshaus and the building "Remise" are the only two remaining buildings from this formerly extended property. (54.555664,13.696604) edit
The narrow-gauge railway Rasender Roland
- Golf (Golf-Centrum Schloss Karnitz), Dorfstrasse 11 a, Karnitz (Take the E22/E251 from the port in Mukran or from Stralsund. In Teschenhagen, take the L291 through Sehlen to Karnitz.), ☎ +49 38304-824 70, . The golf centre in Karnitz has two courses, 9 and 18 holes. edit
- Horseback riding (Wanderreiten auf Rügen), Feldweg 2, Zirmoisel (Take the E22/E251 from Mukran or from Stralsund. At Bergen auf Rügen, take the L301 to Ramitz. Drive N for Bubkewitz, where you take off W to Zirmoisel.), ☎ 0160-903 112 54, . Whether you are an experienced rider or a beginner, this establishmen has something for everyone, for example adventure on horseback or picnic. The center has also a flat for rental. €12 and upwards. edit
- Forest climbing (Kletterwald Rügen), Rugardbühne, Rugardweg, Bergen auf Rügen (Take the E22/E251 from Mukran or from Stralsund to Bergen auf Rügen. Take the Vieschstrasse from the town center and then Rugardweg.), ☎ +49 152 049 032 62, . If you do not enjoy mountaineering, why not try climbing in the forest? Kletterwald Rügen has around 80 stations of various difficulty. €13 and upwards. edit
- Summer rodel (Inselrodelbahn Bergen auf Rügen am Rugard), Rugardweg 7, Bergen auf Rügen (Take the E22/E251 from Mukran or from Stralsund to Bergen auf Rügen. Take the Vieschstrasse from the town center and then Rugardweg.), ☎ +49 3838 82 82 82, . You do not need ice or snow to go rodeling. You can do it just as well during the summer on this over 700 m long track. €2 and upwards. edit
- Windsurfing/Canoeing (Wassersportschule Timpeltu), Strand, Lietzow (Take the E22/E251 from Mukran or from Stralsund. Lietzow is at the road between Sagard and Bergen.), ☎ +49 173 151 39 70, . If you already know how to surf, you can rent all you need from Wassersportschule Timpeltu. If you cannot surf, they can teach you how. The school also has smaller yachts and canoes for rent. edit
- Hot air balloon trips (Sanfte Reisen), Roggentin bei Rostock, ☎ +49 175 843 16 26, +49 38204 746 65, +49 385 760 57 66, . The company Sanfte Reisen offers flights with a hot air balloon. Departure, time and price on request. edit
- Yachting school (MOLA Yachting), Boddenweg 1-2, Breege (Take the E22/E251 from Mukran or from Stralsund. Take the L30 from Sagard to Juliusruh and then on to Breege.), ☎ +49 38391 4320, . The yachting school MOLA has sailing classes, holiday accommodation and lets out yachts. Pris på förfrågan.. edit
- Diving (Tauchen Rügen), Proraer Chausee 50, Prora (From Stralsund: E22/E251 to Bergen, then L196 to Kluptow and L293 to Prora. From Sassnitz/Mukran, taake the L29 to Prora.), ☎ +49 38393 - 24 06, . If you are into diving can rent the equipment here. If you do not know how to dive, they can teach you. Tauchen Rügen also arranges guided tours to wrecks. €30 and upwards. edit
- Rent a bike (Ferienheim Birkengrund), Ferienheim Birkengrund 1, Sassnitz. Bikes can be rented in almost every place, daily rates start as low as 5 Eur. You can get your bike delivered to your holiday appt or hotel. A large, and still to improve, network of bike trails offers sceneries beyond the jammed main roads. The holiday home Birkengrund not only offers accommodation for rent, but also bikes. They have several packages including bikes and accommodation. Guide´d tours on request. €60 and upwards. edit
- Water skiing (Wassersportcentrum Rügen), Am Kapellenberg 1, Zirkow (From Stralsund: E22/E251 to Bergen, then road 196 to Zirkow. From Sassnitz: L29 to Prora, then L293 to Karow and road 196 to Zirkow), ☎ +49 38393-13 14 70, +49 172-155 15 10, . Mo-fr 1400-1800. Sat-sun: 1200-1800.. WSC Rügen offers classes in water skiing and wakeboard. You may rent per hour, week or season. €14 and upwards. edit
- Narrow-gauge railway (Rügensche Bäderbahn or Rasender Roland), Bahnhofstrasse, Putbus (E22/E251 from Mukran or from Sassnitz. In Bergen auf Rügen, take the L301 to Putbus. In Putbus, follow Bahnhofstrasse from Circus. The railway station is at the end of the road.), ☎ +49 3838 81 35 94, . First train from Putbus around 0800, last train around 1930. During the GDR era, the narrow-gauge railway "Rasender Roland" was an important link between Putbus and Göhren, where the steam-hauled trains provided both passenger and goods services. The railway is still a part of the local traffic system and a journey is an excellent way of transportation. There are several nice places to see along the railway, for example the hunting "lodge" (read: "castle") Granitz. You can board the train from any station along the line. Group tickets on offer. €1.80 - €9.00/single ticket, depending on distance. edit
Rügen is an island, which you can tell when you walk into a restaurant. Seafood is omnipresent and usually very fresh. Try a fischbrötchen, a sliced bread roll filled with smoked or pickled herring and vegetables. The Germans are crazy about asparagus, so during season, do not miss out.
Due to the island's popularity over the years, it is easy to find accommodation at all price and comfort levels. The most common accommodation is various forms of holiday apartments, a practical and cheap way to stay. If you prefer to stay in hotels or hostels, there is plenty to choose from. A double in a hotel is around €80-120/night, breakfast included. A holiday flat, a ferienwohnung, starts at around €20 p.p. and night.
- Aquamaris Strandresidenz Rügen, . Hotel in the north of Rügen. edit
- Villa Celia, . Holiday apartments in the east of Rügen edit
- Pension Kastanienhof, Neue Kirchstraße 3, 18586 Göhren, . Pension and Holiday apartments on Rügen edit
- Jugendherberge Binz, Strandpromenade 35 18609 Ostseebad Binz, . Right on the beach in Binz. Very comfortable. edit