| || |
There is a lot of drug use in the area (crack, heroin, etc) so be careful. Pimps and
also prostitues run gallore too. |+|
There is a lot of drug use in the area (crack, heroin, etc)so be careful. Pimps and too.
| || |
Revision as of 05:30, 14 December 2009
Jamaica is an expansive neighborhood located in eastern Queens. Historically consisting of predominantly black communities, Jamaica now is home to an extremely diverse array of peoples and cultures.
Jamaica is the closest neighborhood to JFK Airport, the busiest airport in the United States. To get to Jamaica, either take AirTrain JFK directly to Jamaica Station, a $5 fare, or as a cheaper alternative, an MTA Q10 bus going to the airport, which charges a regular $2.25 fare. The Q3 bus goes to Hillside Avenue in northern Jamaica.
Long Island Railroad
Jamaica Station is a major transportation hub for Long Island Railroad and is one of the busiest train stations in the country. It is served by every LIRR line except for the Port Washington Branch.
Jamaica is served by the F, E, J, and Z trains.
- King Manor Museum (15003 Jamaica Ave) is the historic home of Rufus King, a signer of the U.S. Constitution. The house exhibits the story of Jamaica Village in the early 1800's.
- Afrikan Poetry Theatre (17603 Jamaica Ave) hosts classes, activist and cultural programs, musical performances, and produces original plays.
- Black Spectrum Theatre (11907 Merrick Blvd) creates theatre and film that focuses on educating African American youth on racial issues, as well as highlights emerging Black artists.
- Jamaica Center for Arts and Learning (16104 Jamaica Ave) is the heart of Jamaica's art culture, organizing workshops, classes, exhibits, and performances in the visual and performing arts.
- Take a walk in Rufus King Park and watch locals play soccer in the field.
- Visit St. John's University, a Catholic private university on 8000 Utopia Parkway.
- Jamaica Avenue is the neighborhood's main throughfare, with a plethora of shops. The street is very pedestrian friendly, and items are typically cheap.
- Hilton Garden Inn Queens/JFK Airport 148-18 134th Street, 718-322-4448, .
- Sheraton JFK Airport Hotel 132-26 South Conduit Drive, 718-322-7190, .
- Jamaica YMCA 89-25 Parsons Boulevard, (718) 658-7233, .
There is a lot of drug use in the area (crack, heroin, etc.), so be careful. Pimps and prostitutes galore, too.