| || |
|−|Those who enter the Preserve via landrover travel the road through Cray Village til you reach Pasum. For those continuing on to Everest Base Camp, you will need to transfer to passenger vans which travel the remainder of the way for a fee of Y80 p/p r/t. Theoretically this is to limit the number of vehicles at Base Camp due to parking problems but you will find various connected Chinese and group tour vehicles continuing on past this checkpoint. | |
| || |
- See Khumbu for the Nepalese side of the mountain.
Qomolangma National Nature Reserve (Tibetan: Chomolungma, Chinese: 珠穆朗玛 Zhūmùlǎngmǎ) is in Tibet, China and covers the Tibetan or Chinese side of Mount Everest.
Mt Qomolangma is the world's highest peak at 8,850m.
Flora and fauna
The best season to visit is May to October, but the peak is often covered in clouds from July to August. Snow can be found on the Tingri Route areound October.
There are two treking routes as well as an access road for Land Cruisers (which can be arranged in Lhasa or Shigatse).
- Peruche Route - Shelkar - Checkpoint on Friendship Hwy - 200m after 5145m Marker on Friendship Hwy - Chay Village - Pang La Pass - Peruche Village - Paksum village - Choesang Village - Rongbuk Monastery - Jomolangma (Everest) Base Camp (this route mainly follows the roadway to Base Camp from the Friendship Hwy)
- Tingri Route - Tingri - Lungjang Village - Lamma La Pass - Zommug Village - Rongbuk Monastery - Jomolangma (Everest) Base Camp (recommend a guide for this trek)
Permits cost ¥65 per person and ¥405 per vehicle and can be purchased at Shelkar, Tingri or Chay Village.
- Rongbuk Monastery (Dzarongpu Gompa) - located at the foot of the glaciers on north face of Mt Jomolangma, highest monastery in the world.
- Jomolangma (Everest) Base Camp - start location for climbers up the north side of Mt. Jomolangma.
Food is available at Benba Guesthouse in Tashidzom and the Snowman Hotel in Pasum. Drufung Binguan at Rongbuk has a second floor dining hall.
Staying at private houses is the most common practice. At Rongbuk Monastery, lodging is available but expect the bare minimum.
- Drufung Binguan (The Pink Palace), ☎ (0892) 8584535.
Lodging in tents is available at Jomolangma (Everest) Base Camp. Picking a good tent sometimes can be an issue. There is no problem when no snow fall. Some tents are not maintained well and get leaks when the snow fall and melted.
Be aware that the local Tibetans feel that what is yours is also mine, whether you are treking, dining or just leaving your stuff in a locked hotel room.