| || |
| || |
===Flora and fauna===
===Flora and fauna===
Revision as of 20:19, 18 June 2011
Pushkinskie Gory is in Pskov Oblast of Russia.
Pushkinskie Gory (also can be called Pushgory or Pushkin Hills) is a large open-air museum around the former Alexander Pushkin's family mansion. There is also a settlement with the same title nearby.
Low hills, pine forests, meadows, lakes, and River Sorot flowing through the museum territory.
Flora and fauna
Pskov airport is 120 km away from Pushgory, serving 2-4 flights a day to/from Moscow. The rest of the way can be done by taxi, or hotel transfer can be arranged.
Suschevo train station is about 70 km from museum. Transit trains go to/from Saint Petersburg (5 hours), Minsk (8.5 hours), Kiev (17.5 hours), and Odessa (29 hours). The rest of the way can be done by taxi, or hotel transfer can be arranged.
There are several daily buses to Pushgory from Pskov.
A daily bus service from Saint Petersburg is also available. A ride will take 8 hours.
The most suitable way to Pushkin Hills is by car.
From Riga and Moscow: take E22/M9 road, turn to Pskov at Pushtoshka (Пустошка), go by E22/M9 road till Novgorodka (Новгородка) village, then turn right to Pushkinskie Gory. Expect 7-9 hours for the route.
Form Saint Petersburg and Kiev: take E95/M20 road and turn to Pushkinskie Gory at Novgorodka (Новгородка) village. Expect 5-6 hours for the route from Saint Petersburg and 12 hours from Kiev.
Entering museum territory is free of charge. A permit or fee payment is needed for those who want to enter the territory by car.
Visiting mansions and exhibitions is at addtional cost.
Walking is the usual way to explore the Pushgory museum, but Mikhailovskoe, Trigorie and Petrovskoe are located at 5-10 km distance from each other.
So, if you are not ready to walk such distance, use a car or hire a bike (bike rental is available at some hotels, e.g. Arina R.)
- Mikhailovskoe. Alexander Pushkin's mansion and surrounding park
- Petrovskoe, (about 10 km from Mikhailovskoe, 10 minutes drive from Pushgory settlement.). Mansion and surrounding park, which belonged to Hannibals - Pushkin's closest relatives.
- Trigorskoe. Another mansion
- Bugrovo. A village with an ethnic museum and an operating water mill.
- Svyatogorsky Monastery, (Pushkinskie Gory settlement). An Orthodox monastery, famous for Alexander Pushkin's tomb.
- Savkina Gorka. A hill with one of the most beautiful views from. Located 1 km away from Mikhailovskoe, at river Sorot bank.
- U Melnitsy, (Bugrovo village, near the mill). Restaurant with traditional Russian cuisine.
There are several sleeping facilities in the museum or right outside it. Book in advance during the summer season.
- Arina R., Bugrovo village, ☎ +7 (81146) 2-30-65, 2-30-86, . Named after Alexander Pushkin's nanny, Arina Rodionovna, this resort hotel offers 3-star room or cottage accommodation. Wooden apartments are styled as happy medium between traditional Russia and European comfort. Wifi Internet available for additional cost. Sauna, swimming pool and barbeque can also be arranged. Other services include transfer from the railroad station. 2,750 - 6,000 RUR (70-140 EUR) per room.
- Petrovskoe mansion guesthouse, Petrovskoe village (10 km from Pushkinskie Gory settlement), ☎ +7 (81146) 2-23-21. An unexpensive opportunity to stay right inside the museum, at Petrovskoe village, near Hannibal's mansion and park. 8 double/twin rooms and two 4-person (family) rooms. All rooms have showers and toilets ensuite. 1000 RUR (25 EUR) per person.
- Druzhba, Pushkinskie Gory, Lenina str., 8 (center of Pushkinskie Gory settlement), ☎ +7 (81146) 2-25-56, +7 (81146) 2-21-01. A Soviet-style cheap hotel at a short driving distance from the museum. 1,000-1,400 RUR (25-35 EUR) per room.
- Pushkinogorskaya, Pushkinskie Gory settlement (outside the settlement, on a road to Bugrovo village), ☎ +7 (81146) 2-12-26. A holiday centre located at walking distance from the museum. Different types of rooms are available, from the cheepest Soviet-style to 2-3 star ones. Parking is free, cafe, sauna and other facilities are available. 750 - 2,500 RUR (20-65 EUR) per room.
The place is generally safe for visitors. Take repellent in summer, because of many mosquitos and botflies.
There are at least 3 historic cities at the distance of 100-150 km from Pushgory:
Also, there are few beautiful mansions around:
Altun mansion - 15 munites drive from Pushgory. Once a deserted noble mansion, now being intensively reconstructed, promising to be a beautiful destination in the nearest future. A hotel at the mansion will also start to operate soon.
Musorgsky mansion - the only house-museum of famous Russian composer Musorgsky in the world. Located near E22/M9 road in Tver Oblast near its border with Pskov Oblast. This place is on the way between Moscow (350 km away) and Pushkinskie Gory (200 km away).