The Puget Sound is a region in Washington.
- Seattle is the major city in the region, indeed the state, and a major travel destination in its own right
- Seattle is located within King County and this article deals with Seattle's neighbors
- West of Seattle is the Kitsap Peninsula, the heart of the Puget Sound with miles and miles of shoreline
- In the North Sound Region are major islands such as Camano Island and Whidbey Island, Everett and surrounding towns on the northern end of the Seattle metropolitan area,
- In the South Sound Region are major industrial cities like Tacoma, as well as the state capital at Olympia
- Tacoma — County capital of Pierce County
- Olympia — capital of Washington state and of Thurston County
Puget Sound is a sheltered arm of ocean between Seattle and the mainland of Washington State to the east and the Olympic Peninsula to the west. The southern boundary is marked by where the mainland and the Olympic Peninsula meet, near Tacoma. The northern boundary is marked by Admiralty Pass and the Strait of San Juan de Fuca.
The San Juan Islands are not properly located in Puget Sound, contrary to common belief and widespread usage. There has been a recent popular movement to officially name the area that contains the San Juan Islands as the Salish Sea, in honor of the native people of the region. The Salish Sea is located at the confluences of Puget Sound, Strait of Juan de Fuca, Strait of Georgia.
The Puget Sound region consists of Puget Sound itself, the islands of Puget Sound, the Kitsap Peninsula, plus the mainland counties which form both the western and eastern sides of Puget Sound leading up to the edges of the watershed in the high crests of the Cascade and Olympic mountain ranges. Counties with this area include: Island, Snohomish, Kitsap, King, Pierce, Thurston, Mason, Clallam, and Jefferson.
- Visit the San Juan Islands, famous for sailing, fishing, scuba diving, hiking, bicycling and fine vistas and sunsets.
- Go sea kayaking with the orca whales in the San Juan Islands. Kayaking in Washington
- Go bird-watching and see some of the 300+ species of birds found in Puget Sound. Birding Tours in Washington
- Ride ATVs. NW ATV Rentals offers ATV Rentals Located in Portland, Oregon. Serving All of Oregon and Washington.
- Snowmobiling. NW Snowmobile Rentals offers Snowmobile Rentals for All of Oregon and Washington. Located in Portland, Oregon.
- Jet Skiing. NW Jet Ski Rentals offers Jet Ski Rentals for all of Oregon and Washington. Located in Portland, Oregon.