Puerto Jimenez is in Costa Rica's Osa Peninsula and is the primary jumping off point for Corcovado National Park. The city itself is not the most attractive locale.
- Bus - Buses leave daily from San José and pass through San Isidro de El General where passengers can also get on. Bus 699 leaves from San Jose at 6am and 12noon, taking about 10 hours to reach Puerto Jimenez. Bus 612 to Golfito can also be taken, which takes about 8 hours and leaves at 7am and 3pm.
- Ferry - The ferry from Golfito to Puerto Jimenez takes about an hour and a half and runs twice daily. Schedule is random and subject to change. Price $2. There are also fast ferries available that can do the trip in about 30 minutes, the cost is $6. The schedule can change so best to email your accommodations for the most current one. Also, the bus stop for the dock isn't exactly obvious. You don't want to take the Golfito bus all the way to the last stop (though if you do it's a short $0.50 ride on a local back to the dock. Ask around, a local should be able to point you in the right direction.
- "Air - A small airport in Puerto Jimenez is serviced by SANSA, and TravelAir/NatureAir. These flights generally run once or twice daily coming from San Jose and cost around $80. See the respective air services for schedule detail.
- Scarlet Mawcaws. This is a prime viewing spot.
- Swimming. People swim in the calm waters off Puerto Jimenez and there are some pretty beaches nearby.
- Sunset. You can't miss a sunset in Golfo Dulce. try sea kaking.
- Dolphins and whales. Golfo Dulce's warm water are the home of dolphins and many humpback whales give birth in here.
- Monkeys.In Puerto Jimenez you have the oportunity to see the 4 kinds that live in Costa Rica.
Puerto Jimenez is a small town but offers a lot of things to do:
- Sea kayaking Adventure in Puerto Jimenez, .
- Mangrove Forest Exploration.
- Bike trips.
- Bird watching.
- Jungle hikes.
- Paradise beaches.
- horse back riding.
- Dolphin observation trips.
- Il Giardino Italian Restaurant, (200 m north from Banco Nacional, 50 m west), ☎ ++ 506 2 735 51 29, . 5PM-10PM. Great Italian restaurant. Serves the most traditional Italian recipes and original creations of the Chef Giulio. Seafood is always a first choice. The end of week sushi is often present, depending by the availability of fresh tuna. Quiet ambiance, soft music, no TV. Budget menu 5,000C.
- Lapa's Nest TreeHouse, Near Puerto Jimenez Costa Rica Osa Peninsula, ☎ 508-237-0812, . Treehouse resort style rental wit private pool, hiking trails, 24/7 caretaker. On 120 acres with only three other homes. High above the Gulfo Dulce with both rainforest and ocean views. Sleeps six to eight in queen and king beds. Six levels 50 feet in the air wrapped around a giant guanacaste tree (the national symbol of Costa Rica). Totally furnished. $1,800 weekly.
- Cabinas Iguana Iguana, (Just outside of town, a five minute walk north of the bus station), ☎ 506 2735-5158. Definitely a budget choice, Cabinas Iguana Iguana is located just outside of Puerto Jimenez and offers cheap private rooms with double and single beds. Rooms have private bathrooms and fans. Cold water showers. Management is friendly, but sometimes absent. They claim to have a swimming pool, but there was none to be found, however the beach is only a short walk away. There is a bar on site, but it is rather quiet. $10 per person. (8.537353,-83.310785)
- Saladero Lodge, Golfo Dulce (1/2 hour boat ride from Pto Jimenez), ☎ 506-8721-0425, . checkin: AM; checkout: AM. www.saladerolodge.com Saladero Lodge is an environmentally sensitive 480 acre private preserve set in the undeveloped Golfo Dulce and Piedras Blancas National Park. It includes ½ mile of coastline on the Golfo Dulce and 465 acres of primary rainforest. Established in harmony with the natural environment, our goal is to provide to travelers seeking a unique location and experience, the opportunity to observe wildlife and natural wonders in a pristine and sustainable fashion while enjoying the comfortable and spacious accommodations. 3 day minimum cabin rental includes boat transportation from Golfito or Pto Jimenez, kayaks, snorkeling and fishing equipment. email [email protected] $75 double occupancy and up.
- Bus - Buses to San José, via San Isidro de El General run only twice daily, once in the early morning and again in the afternoon from the bus station located on the northwest side of town.