Puerto Galera is a town on the northeastern coast of Mindoro Island, Philippines. Among travelers it is commonly known as encompassing the region surrounding it. While a small town itself, other adjacent smaller towns, such as Sabang and White Beach, are the primary destinations; however, all are lumped together as Puerto Galera as it hosts the ferry terminal (to Batangas) through which most people arrive.
Puerto Galera is five hours away from Metro Manila. If you're already in Manila, getting there is pretty easy. Having a car is very convenient, all you need to do is drive through South Luzon Expressway turn right to Star Toll gate and then head to Batangas Pier. From there, you can either park your car and ride a ferry going to Puerto Galera or have your car ride a RORO (roll on, roll off) ship so you could take your car with you to Puerto Galera.
Most tourists prefer the ease and convenience of the 'Sikat' tourist service. The Sikat leaves at 0800 daily from the City State Tower Hotel on Mabini Street, Ermita, Manila. The round trip ticket costs 1400 pesos (about US$28) and includes both bus and ferry to either Sabang Beach or Puerto Galera. For the adventurous traveler go to Buendia LRT station and from there you will see buses and shuttle services going to Batangas pier. It cost around P180 from Buendia to Batangas pier. And when you get to Batangas pier all you need to do is to ride a ferry boat going to Sabang - Puerto Galera.
Scheduled ferries arrive at Puerto Galera mostly from Batangas but also from other islands. From there, most people immediately depart for Sabang (known for SCUBA diving) or White Beach (a stretch of white sand holding small restaurants and bars).
Crossing the waters between Batangas Port and White Beach can be a thrill by itself especially during the meeting of the tides when the sea can be quite rough. However, the boatmen know these waters very well, so there is no need to be hysterical.
- White and Sabang Beaches - White Beach is a good alternative to Boracay if you do not have much money or time. One of the interesting aspects of many Philippine beaches is that there are no piers at the destination so boats typically go as close to the beach as possible. Passengers disembark through a wooden plank and either have to wade through knee high water or be piggybacked by muscular boatmen.
- Waterfalls - Tamaraw Falls is just a few minute ride from White Beach by rented van. The water from the Falls collects into a pool under a bridge. It is quite cold and invigorating. A few meters up from the pool, one can enjoy the pounding waters that gush through the boulders.
Most visitors to Puerto Galera are attracted by the excellent scuba diving provided by the protected marine sanctuary. There are a number of dive shops in the area (estimated at around 35) that provide access to a macro (i.e. small life) heaven. The dive sites that feature a large variety of small sea life with the occasional shark or turtle. Several sites are drift dives and often turn into (strong) current dives with the best diving (for coral and small life) being at 20m or 60 feet. Almost all of the dive sites are within a 10 minute boat ride of Sabang which allows you to spend your surface interval on the shore and it also allows most shops to offer as many as four dive trips (single tank) each day. Prices for a single dive are around $26~$32 for a single tank dive, including equipment rental, boat and dive guide, with discounts for more dives and if you have your own equipment.
- World Class Scuba Diving is available and easily accessible in Puerto Galera, nearby Sabang beach, or White Beach. There are two dive centre's in Puerto Galera.
Badladz Adventure Divers is located just next to Muelle Pier at the Badladz Resort. It is a small dive shop, operated by a very friendly European Instructor couple (German / English). They offer all PADI courses from beginner intro dives right through to Assistant Instructor at very reasonable prices with group discounts and multiple day diving discounts. Also available are snorkelling trips, kayak rental and Beach BBQ's. Tel: 0063 09062214972
You can also try banana boat, jetski, vinta (local sailboat), island hopping, mountain biking, motorcycling, banca, go snorkeling, and getting a massage.
Accredited masseuses can give you massage right on the beach. To prevent hanky-panky, in-room massage, other than in a especially designated room at the hotel, is prohibited.
- Philippine Adventures, email: [email protected], . Provides tailor-made packages to Puerto Galera for international tourists wishing to experience world class diving and the Mangyan Hill Tribes of the island.
- Stairway Foundation (at Brgy Aninuan), www.stairwayfoundation.org. International NGO working with street children and victims of child sexual abuse. Visitors can tour the center and learn about the issue of child sexual abuse and how Stairway uses creative expressions in order to raise awareness.
- Scuba Scuta, Palangan Puerto Galera (2 mins from Muelle Pier), ☎ +63909205843032, . The Scuba Scuta is a fun and exciting way to explore our amazing underwater world ! Easy and safe to use for people of all ages and backgrounds. Our instructors will quickly teach you all you need to know, and accompany you on your excursion to ensure your comfort and safety. Without the hassle of lengthy courses, you can be gliding amongst the stunning sea-life in no time !
- Travel Puerto Galera, Puerto Galera (Oriental Mindoro), ☎ 043-287-3143, . Travel Puerto Galera provides information on all there is to know about traveling in and to Puerto Galera, accommodation, scuba diving, snorkling, day trips, beach hopping and restaurants as well as local establishments.
- Foodtrip sa Galera, White Beach. Good food, clean and affordable.
There are many restaurants near Muelle Pier, Puerto Galera, main town. An excellent french restaurant, that also doubles as a bakery for fresh french baguettes, croissants, is "Le Bistro D'Agathe".
Puerto Galera has numerous hotels and resorts that tourists can choose from.
White Beach Puerto Galera has a prime location at the center of White Beach. It offers modestly furnished but comfortable rooms. Each room is air-conditioned and comes with a private toilet and bath with shower and tub, cable TV, and room safe. The hotel also has an Internet cafe, bar and restaurant, Jacuzzi, and conference room. Water sports are available. that tourists can choose from.
Tourists will also find many cheap bungalows to stay on white beach. These cost from 500 pesos to 1500 pesos a night, you can get better rates during week days.
- Aninuan Beach Resort is on the Tropical Island of Oriental Mindoro, fronting the South China Sea. Only 3 1/2 hours by car and ferry boat from Manila International Airport. It is a walking distance from White Beach—the place for young people to go for the nightlife, 10 Km away from the Sabang Beach—another place to visit for the nightlife and its many diving schools, and 15 minutes away from the Puerto Galera port by jeepney or boat. Phone Number: +63920 931 8946 or +63920 931 8924. Price: USD $50.00
- Tamaraw Beach Resort, ☎ 6392234, . This beach resort in Puerto Galera offers rooms and units fursnished with private toilet and bath, writing desk and chair, and balcony/deck. They also have apartment and studio style units that has a kitchen with complete cooking utensils and refrigerator. They have facilities needed for wind surfing, boating, and snorkeling. They also have a beautifully designed al fresco restaurant so you can enjoy the beautiful sunset while eating your delicious meals. Best rates on official website start at Php 800.
- Pirate Cove Beach Resort, Palangan Puerto Galera (Free Transfers from Muelle Pier), ☎ +639205843032, . Situated in a tranquil bay on crystal-clear waters, only minutes away from the Muelle Pier in Puerto Galera, Pirate Cove is truly a tropical paradise in the Heart of the Philippines. At Pirate Cove you will be immersed in the stunning local scenery as we have 8 ocean facing bungalows, surrounded by lush tropical plants and greenery, and a bar and restaurant, featuring local and international wines and cuisine, only feet from the water's edge. The island of Mindoro is surrounded by some of the most bio-diverse waters in the world, and diving enthusiasts will be truly amazed at the number of world class dive sites only minutes away. Scuba divers can make use of our well equipped and profesionally run dive school to be taken on underwater tours of the many stunning dive sites. We are also the only resort offering guests the opportunity to try out the incredible Scuba Scuta !
- Blue Crystal Beach Resort, Palangan (10 minutes from Muelle Pier, Puerto Galera), ☎ +6343-287-3144, . checkin: 02:00 PM; checkout: 12:00 Noon. Blue Crystal Beach Resort is located in Palangan, Puerto Galera and offers luxurious accommodation to very reasonable price: PHP 995.00 per person per night for double occupancy and PHP 895.00 per person per night for multiple occupancy. Fully ai-conditioned rooms and Suites face our private beach are equipped with bath and shower, cable TV, mini-bar and refrigerator, private terrace, and WIFI internet. The resort has scuba diving center, swimming pool and offers a wide range of day trips by boat and jeepney. The coral garden directly is probably one of the most unique snorkeling sites in the Philippines.
- Lan-Sei Water Resort, White Beach, ☎ 63-922-8LANSEI or 63-917-5301192, . The Lan-Séi Water Resort is the perfect destination for a fabulous Puerto Galera vacation. Nestled in a pristine setting distant from the hassles and noise of nightlife yet accessible to all diverse spots and rich resources of Puerto Galera, this resort is a perfect getaway for family and friends. With unmatched style, decor, superb hospitality, and best amenities, Lan-Séi Water Resort is a very special place to visit for a truly remarkable experience. You will see the difference!
- Franklyn Beach Resort, Palangan, Puerto Galera, Oriental Mindoro 5203, Philippines, ☎ + 632 522-3738 / +63 43 287-3182, . Franklyn Beach Resort in Puerto Galera, Mindoro can be found nestled atop a hill overlooking the sea. The stunning sea view is arguably the rooms’ best feature, but the amenities also provide a certain amount of comfort. Each accommodation in our Puerto Galera, Mindoro resort has Internet access, a ceiling fan, and toilet and shower with hot and cold water. Rates start at PHP 1,170.
- Buri Resort & Spa, Cove Area Puerto Galera, ☎ 8120722, . Nestled in the Batangas Channel inside Puerto Galera Bay, which was recently named one of the Most Beautiful Bays in the world by the Paris-based Club des Plus Belles Baies du Monde, Buri Resort & Spa has undergone a dramatic transformation since it first opened in 2001 with five simple cottages and now boasts 12 luxury villas ideal for romantic getaways or family get-togethers. USD140+.
- White Beach Resort, Bar and Restaurant, White Beach, Puerto Galera, San Isidro, Oriental Mindoro, Philippines, ☎ 09178258643, 09228358643, . In the tropical paradise that is Puerto Galera lies White Beach Resort, Bar and Restaurant – a modest beachfront retreat that is big in comfort, but easy on the pocket. Why look for frills when the necessities are already at hand? This Puerto Galera accommodation comes with air-conditioning, a toilet and shower, and dining area. In the morning, see the sunshine spill from the skylight through your room's balcony. Best rates on official website start at Php 1,110.00.
- Manalo’s Lodge, ☎ +63 (04) 32873602, . Our lodge along White Beach in Puerto Galera lies less than 100 m from the shore, just minutes away from the pristine waters of Oriental Mindoro. Our Puerto Galera accommodation offers relaxing spaces for the traveler on a budget. When you need some time-out from all the beach activities, our 14 guestrooms give you quiet comfort, allowing you to recharge for another great escapade. White Beach, San Isidro, Puerto Galera, Oriental Mindoro, Philippines. Rates start at PHP 1,500.
- Manalo′s Guesthouse, ☎ 09176096072 and 09176674077, . The location of Manalo’s Guesthouse in Puerto Galera, Philippines is just a five-minute walk from the famous White Beach. Your accommodation at Manalo’s Guesthouse in Puerto Galera features all the essentials for a pleasant stay. Each room is air-conditioned and fitted with a living room/ lounge area, kitchenette, and private toilet and shower. White Beach, San Isidro, Puerto Galera, Oriental Mindoro, Philippines. Rates start at PHP 1000.
- Blue Water Lodge, ☎ (02) 514 88 38 ([email protected]), . The true value of vacations is measured by the fun experiences you have. And you're guaranteed just that at Puerto Galera's Blue Water Lodge without having to spend a fortune. Blue Water Lodge is located in Puerto Galera, approximately 60 m from White Beach. Each accommodation is air-conditioned and fitted with cable TV and a private toilet and bath with hot & cold shower. The Standard Rooms have one Queen-size bed, while the Deluxe Rooms have two. White Beach, Puerto Galera, Philippines . Rates start at PHP 1,000.
Jeepney to Calapan (1,5h, 70P) leaves from the end of the main road several times daily. From Calapan you can take a minivan (3h, 180P) to Roxas.
PONDAROSA GOLF TREK. Another great thing to do in Puerto is to trek till Pondoraso Golf, from White Beach take the road going to Puerto, walk about 15 mins, then you will see a sign for Ponderosa Golf. The road is uphill and provides a fantastic view of Puerto Galera, after an hour of healthy walking you'll be rewarded with good food at the golf club. Bring plenty water with you and protect yourself from the sun.
TAMARAW FALL. it's about a 14 Km walk along the scenic road, barely any traffic, so it is safe to walk or bike there, the view is simply incredible, it's an easy 3 hour walk along this beautiful road, there are also empty beaches along the way at which to stop. The fall itself is pretty nice and you can refresh there too.